Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a PUSHed AVA with a frame I just bought, but the volume adjustment has me stumped. I am being told to just turn the ring on the canister body, and that moving it towards the shaft increases the volume and towards the fattest part of the canister decreases the volume. The shock has the original stickers removed so there are no directions on it.

Here's what I don't get:

OK, when I turn the little ring, it moves up, but nothing else does. It's like turning the preload ring on a coil shock, but there is no coil against it (see 1st and 2nd pictures)

If I deflate the shock, I can slide the canister up to the ring's new position, but if I go more than a few mm's I expose a hole in the side of the canister, and any air I try to pump into the shock comes out the hole (see 3rd picture).

What's going on here?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Left pic shows minimum volume(more progressive spring curve), Right pic shows max volume(more linear spring curve). Set your volume and slide the can down so that it's against the snap ring and give it a few pumps. Once you have a couple of psi in the shock, the end opposite the end of the clip will pop out against the adjustment dial. From there just air it up.

Darren

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PUSHIND said:
Left pic shows minimum volume(more progressive spring curve), Right pic shows max volume(more linear spring curve). Set your volume and slide the can down so that it's against the snap ring and give it a few pumps. Once you have a couple of psi in the shock, the end opposite the end of the clip will pop out against the adjustment dial. From there just air it up.

Darren
The picture below shows what happens when I add 150 psi to the shock after doing what you suggest. A little ring pops out from the can and is loose between the can and the adjustment dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
huh....seems strange. The secondary ring must be stuck in between the inner and outer chambers for some weird reason. Without seeing it, it's tough to say. Shoot me an email if you'd like to send it in to have it repaired. We could install a new air can seal system the same day that we received it and get it back on its way for $25+ shipping.

Darren
[email protected]

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can DIY

This "little ring" should not pop up at any psi. Probably there is something wrong with seals/bushings inside the AVA can. It may be enough to slide them up - toward this ring. There is only one small hole that connects AVA and positive air can and it has to be on the right side of these seals. (although I'm not sure if it is possible to place them wrong)Here are some pics:
HPIM1437_a_small.JPG
HPIM1438_a_small.JPG
HPIM1458_a_small.JPG
Of course I've assumed that PUSH design isn't much deifferent.
More to be downloaded from
http://www.kml.chmielna.net/download/AVA.zip
It's zipped IE page in Polish but pictures are international... I hope. Let me know if something isn't working.
Cheers
marcin

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured out the problem!!

kapusta said:
I got a PUSHed AVA with a frame I just bought, but the volume adjustment has me stumped. I am being told to just turn the ring on the canister body, and that moving it towards the shaft increases the volume and towards the fattest part of the canister decreases the volume. The shock has the original stickers removed so there are no directions on it.

Here's what I don't get:

OK, when I turn the little ring, it moves up, but nothing else does. It's like turning the preload ring on a coil shock, but there is no coil against it (see 1st and 2nd pictures)

If I deflate the shock, I can slide the canister up to the ring's new position, but if I go more than a few mm's I expose a hole in the side of the canister, and any air I try to pump into the shock comes out the hole (see 3rd picture).

What's going on here?:confused:
OK, I figured out what is wrong. The piece that is supposed to slide up to the volume adjuster ring (the part with the <increase decrease> label) was put on BACKWARDS! There is a lip at the base of that piece (away from the adjuster knob) that keeps it going out too far. It basically cannot fit over the threads on the AVA sleeve. Since it was in backwards, that lip would not allow the piece to go over the threads at all. The adjuster ring was not doing a thing.

The strange thing is that the <increase decrease> label itself is applied in the wrong direction. I assume this is why it got put together backwards.

I'm not sure if this was Fox, PUSH, or the previous owner who did this, but it definitely has me scratching my head.

At least it's fixed now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts