Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

someone explain to me..

3K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  COmtbiker12 
#1 ·
why is it that almost everyone i talk to or ride with all are in "teams". and everyones always trying to get sponsored...what happend to the fun part of the sport? if you're good enough the sponsors will come to you is my opinion...

sorry if this is a dumb post, ive just noticed this with a lot of riders i meet around here...

#2 ·
bentimby said:
why is it that almost everyone i talk to or ride with all are in "teams". and everyones always trying to get sponsored...what happend to the fun part of the sport? if you're good enough the sponsors will come to you is my opinion...

sorry if this is a dumb post, ive just noticed this with a lot of riders i meet around here...
mainly cuz u get stuff for cheap...

its not like field of dreams, "if you build it, they will come"

#3 ·
bentimby said:

Bentimby,
This is the best post ever. There are only a few on this board that actually understand what sponsored is, and what it means. I can gaurantee one thing.

Sponsorship is not about free bikes or parts. A lot of it is about hard work, constant pressure to perform, and keeping your name and face in the public eye.

/and I'm not talking about just forums...

#4 ·
Chikity China said:
mainly cuz u get stuff for cheap...

its not like field of dreams, "if you build it, they will come"
i understand sponsorship for cheap parts, im talking about the people that think they get bragging rights or think they're really good because their sponsored. and yes, if you race well sponsors will be there waiting for you

#6 ·
Roaming Oregon said:
Bentimby,
This is the best post ever. There are only a few on this board that actually understand what sponsored is, and what it means. I can gaurantee one thing.

Sponsorship is not about free bikes or parts. A lot of it is about hard work, constant pressure to perform, and keeping your name and face in the public eye.

/and I'm not talking about just forums...
exactly what im trying to say, im not good or anything its just something ive observed lately...i want sponsorships but i want ones that ive earned yknow?

#7 ·
bentimby said:
and i bet you think if you do well at school employers will just show up at your doorstep too....

people only know you exist (or care) if you introduce yourself, they arent sponsoring fast lap times, they're sponsoring people.

#8 ·
bentimby said:

The LOD is not a team. we are just a bunch of bros thst like to ride together more like a crew or pack, and the sponsors will come to you if you ride well and push yourself and the limits, but self promotion is what what gets you noticed. Everyone in the LOD is a great rider but ZachDank is up at the crack of dawn making the calls preping the jumps and getting us motivated. He deserves every sponsorship he gets. He loves what he does and does what he loves and thats riding, without hating on or doggin on the other foolios. He's in it for the sport and the love of the trail, do it enough, get good and you'll get reconition.

#11 ·
Good topic, I'd like to use an example about sponsorship, "IRONHORSEBIKE1" you are it. just why do you claim to be sponsored by GT Bikes?? and yet you have a bike shop also listed as a sponsor, it doesn't work like that. I smell bull$hit. not to mention that if you were actually sponsored by them you would most likely be mentioned on their web site. when you get a sponsorship, or support from a bike SHOP and they happen to discount you a bike,(which sounds like your case) for example, a GT, you are not sponsored by GT, just the shop that supports you. get it right, it's annoying.

#12 ·
RM7 said:
Good topic, I'd like to use an example about sponsorship, "IRONHORSEBIKE1" you are it. just why do you claim to be sponsored by GT Bikes?? and yet you have a bike shop also listed as a sponsor, it doesn't work like that. I smell bull$hit. not to mention that if you were actually sponsored by them you would most likely be mentioned on their web site. when you get a sponsorship, or support from a bike SHOP and they happen to discount you a bike,(which sounds like your case) for example, a GT, you are not sponsored by GT, just the shop that supports you. get it right, it's annoying.
hey now lets not rag on anyone, i dont want to piss anyone off

#13 ·
sponsorship is something you earn. I have won multiple snowboard comps and never had a "real" sponsor. Always pro-form and shop discount stuff.

Mtn biking is much different, you can be on a team that gets sponosored and its all gravy. Of course this is grass roots and you get stuff at a great price and sometimes some free ish. Companies are willing to throw out these grassroots deals to get their names out there.

Once DHing blows up the grassroots will slowly go away. But for now take advantage and ride for fun!

#15 ·
Roaming Oregon said:
Unfortunately that's why most people want to get sponsored though. From what I've seen its a) Cheaper or Free components, frames, etc and b) Like Kadvang said, you get to be the e-badass all the groupies look up to.

That's a reason why I respect Zach, you don't see him flaunting around talking about how he is sponsored by Banshee. He just rides and keeps it real, so again to quote K, good on him.

#16 ·
RM7 said:
You're wrong on him. He's on a team that has multiple sponsors, one of which is GT and another of which is his shop as well as a few other companies.... :rolleyes:

#17 ·
Despite popular belief that I'm so amazingly badass ;) (joke for those that didn't catch it) I'm not. lol. I was one of the earlier folks to jump onto the Soul Cycles train and although I wasn't/am still not a superduper good rider I was/am happy to help out a developing company, through promoting them and sporting my bike. And because of that they give me some discounts. I don't think I'm high enough on the food chain to really be a huge asset to them but it's nice to help them out and what not. But I think that the rider on here who we should all look to about sponsorships is zachdank, while sometimes he can be an ass ;) him and the entire LOD crew are absolutely amazing. Probably some of the best riders I've ever seen and deserve as much if not more than other well known pros to be in the latest freeride videos and one not. He's enthusiastic about what he does, is helping folks out both with their riding and with the biking community near him. It's just surprising that companies didn't run after him sooner. :p

#18 ·
different point of view

RM7 said:
I'm just suprised on how "freely" people will claim sponsorship, especially with a large company. they need to ride, hone their skills, and represent. work for it and the sponsors will come.
If you're a company, do you care if someone lists their product in your signature? He11 no, it's free advertisement. Maybe you are a great rider and have earned it, maybe not, do most ppl on the internet know the difference? No. But the company is getting their name out there, so I'm betting it's ok with the company. Does it really bother you that you have no company affiliations and someone who is a lesser rider does? I think it bothers me more that there are kids who are, in effect, sponsored by their parents, and have no appreciation for the things they have. Those are the people who haven't worked for it. People who list sponsors are at least doing the company a service by promoting them.

#19 ·
There are many very fast racers and very good riders who are not sponsored. Sponsors don't go looking for riders. They don't have to. There are long lines of very good/fast riders begging lots of companies for sponsorship. Companies sponsor riders they think will give them a return on their investment. A full sponsorship comes with responsibility. A willingness to open yourself up to the public, to be critiqued by your sponsors and a responsibility to train and perform at a consistently high level. Riding for fun is great and if you can't do that you probably won't get very far with any sponsor. Real sponsorship is about finacial assistance and support for a return. Not for bragging rights. It would be very difficult for most racers to travel and compete without some level of sponsorship. Even with those deals most must have a full time job to be able to eat.

Grassroots deals don't give you much in the way of bragging rights...

#20 ·
another twist on the topic...

Ok, so here is what my idea of the sponsorship is. You have to do a ton of work to get in shape, eat right, train at the gym, and just ride all the freakin time. You have to be better than everyone else, and stay that way. It is very hard to scheldual your life around training, especailly if you are working and in school.

The thing about sponsorships is that you are going to be good, hopefully really good. You will be riding all of the time, so you will start to break or wear things out (tires, drivetrains,ect) on your bike almost every time you ride. Take my word for it, this happens. You will be riding faster, harder, and for much longer. If you are sponsored someone will be there to help you with you bike, if not, you will go broke fast trying to replace everythinf yourself.

SO, in simple english; you ride more---more stuff breaks---sponsor good! This is why I hope to get a sponsor, because I'm broke!

#21 ·
work and responsibility

RyBread said:
Ok, so here is what my idea of the sponsorship is. You have to do a ton of work to get in shape, eat right, train at the gym, and just ride all the freakin time. You have to be better than everyone else, and stay that way. It is very hard to scheldual your life around training, especailly if you are working and in school...

SO, in simple english; you ride more---more stuff breaks---sponsor good! This is why I hope to get a sponsor, because I'm broke!
This is a really good observation.

I'm on a team. We pay annual dues that help defray the costs associated with team management, pit space at races, etc. We get great deals from our sponsors. My responsibilities include (in no particular order):
1. represent the sponsor well
2. be an ambassador for the sponsor and the sport
3. provide feedback on their products
4. race often, race hard, do well, and have a good attitude

What I get out of it (in order of importance to me):
A. camaraderie that comes with being on a team
B. race support (one hour before the Super D at Mammoth I get ready to take the chairlift and find I have no back brake. :eek: I dash over to Hayes. Scott sees the terror in my eyes and says, "Breathe. I'll take care of it for you." In minutes, my brake is fixed and I make it to the race start with time to spare. I LOVE Hayes for this reason, and promote them - not just because I'm supposed to, but because I want to - because of their fantastic support).
C. chance to give feedback on products I use
D. great deals on bike parts

With all that I pay in race entry fees, gas money to get to races, lodging and food, there's no way I break even. But I can certainly do more because of the suport I'm given. I race because I love it. I raced enough and did well enough last year that I'm in a good position on a great team. I'm not the best rider on the team by any stretch, but I do 1,2,3,and 4 the best that I can.

I don't list my sponsors here, because my opinions are not necessarily their opinions.

-sunny :cool:

#22 ·
RM7 said:
It's funny cause it's true!

Attachments

#26 ·
Master_Jako said:
I sponsor Myself... :)
One must remember that most individuals mis-interpret what being sponsored actually means. One becomes a spokesman, a quallity controller, an advisor to the company, even a role model for new and younger enthusiasts, and at the same time a walking bilboard (not in a bad way). Just like any sport there are those who ruin the way people precieve sponsorship. Never forget where you came from and how you got to be sponsored. Hardwork, dedication, and most of all the LOVE FOR THE SPORT.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.