Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went back to look at the '05 Stumpjumper FSR that I was looking at last week, which I asked some people on here about. I saw it on Thursday, and it turns out somebody came in over the weekend and put it on hold until the store closed on the night of 7/16.

Well, needless to say, I found this out today, the morning of 7/17, and decided that fate had kept it safe for me.

Woo! Now I just have to learn how to clip in and clip out...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Congrats on the new bike, I really like the grey.

I went clipless for the first time this past weekend. It's not as bad as some people seem to make it. Just practice a few times on flat ground and keep them set loose so you can unclip easily.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Clipless - takes some time to learn (yes you will crash or fall over) but in the end the performance and control benefits are immense and well worth it.

Congrats on the Stumpy and have fun with it. You might want to remove the reflectors :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
If anything, it makes you a bit more of a proactive rider, as you start to look at when you might need to unclip, especially when you arrive at roads. But they are soooo comfy when you start to hammer it, as you are fairly confident that the pedals won't try to remove your shin-bones if you have a mad moment...

·
K n e e m o i
506 Posts
Once you get used to it, you'll never go back......unless if you're more of a DH/Freeride type.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's my bike...

I have the same bike... It is a great bike and got a similar deal on it last August ($1200).

I ride road clipless, but still crashed on the mtb with clipless... Here is how to do it: loosen the clips all the way out (those 520s will back way out) and use lots of white lightening. Your feet will be clipped in but you get in and out like butter and can yank out any way you want in a panic. Then tighten them in when you get used to it...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Grammar Hammer said:
Very nice! Agree about the gray color. Beauty.

You'll get good support from Bruce.

I rode a lesser FSR version (gray) last week as a rental in Chequamegon and greatly enjoyed it.

My tip on learning clipless is to constantly clip in and out during your first few rides as a reminder you now have clipless pedals. You'll still topple. :)

No need to advise you to enjoy yourself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.