Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my xt hydros are on their way. i dont know what instructions will come with the kit but i hope to fit them as soon as they arrive. they will be going onto a new pike fork and i was wondering if there was anything i needed to know about facing off and changing the splined fitting to 6 bolt adaptor for hope pro II 20mm hub. the adaptor will arrive with the brakes. any tips needed to get them right first time ie bleeding, bedding in facing off etc
this will be my first set of hydros so treat me like and idiot and i will be well stoked.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
wait a second... the Pro 2 is a 6 bolt IS hub... are your XT rotors splined (centerlock)?? If your rotors are centerlock, they can't be used on the Pro2s.... (the adaptor are for the inverse, using IS 6 bolt rotors on centerlock hubs)

The XT brakes are easy to install and the instructions are pretty clear... no worries about the installation...

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
o crap!
i have placed the order for the custom wheel build and brakes from the same company so they are aware of the set up[ i am using. i bought the brakes on sale but they are center lock. the shop told me to buy adaptors to fit them to 6 hole hub. i did call back to check all was a o k. i will double check tomorrow morn so i can make any changes if neccessary befor they post.
thanks for the heads up crisillo and for runing my night lol

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
o crap!
i have placed the order for the custom wheel build and brakes from the same company so they are aware of the set up[ i am using. i bought the brakes on sale but they are center lock. the shop told me to buy adaptors to fit them to 6 hole hub. i did call back to check all was a o k. i will double check tomorrow morn so i can make any changes if neccessary befor they post.
thanks for the heads up crisillo and for runing my night lol
Sorry about ruining your night! ;)

I hope you can change them on time, and usually you can return parts if they are unused, or just ebay the rotors and order the 6 bolt ones (the brakes will be fine)

R U getting them from chain reaction cycles?

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nope merlin cycles. they did a good job on my last wheel build and well priced. cant say they are very friendly or helpfull over the phone. they told me about the special offer being center lock and i told them i was ordering the hope pro 11 hub. they said the adaptor would be needed. anyway i then looked at other sites to see how much a larger rotor would cost for a later date front end upgrade and noticed the 6 bolt rotors were about the same price as the adaptors. my didnt worry too much as i may run a xt hub on the rear and the center lock would suit there. but now i no happy:madman:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
nope merlin cycles. they did a good job on my last wheel build and well priced. cant say they are very friendly or helpfull over the phone. they told me about the special offer being center lock and i told them i was ordering the hope pro 11 hub. they said the adaptor would be needed. anyway i then looked at other sites to see how much a larger rotor would cost for a later date front end upgrade and noticed the 6 bolt rotors were about the same price as the adaptors. my didnt worry too much as i may run a xt hub on the rear and the center lock would suit there. but now i no happy:madman:
well.. I suppose you can work it out... as I said before, if the deal is that good, you can sell the rotor on ebay.... or if you are going to use centerlock on the rear...then you can keep the 2nd as a spare for when the rear one need replacement down the road....

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah if i dont need the adaptor i will exchange it for someting else. by the way crisillo, are you by any chance riding a yeti 575. you must be on some yeti judging by your sig pic. it is at the limit of my price range which is to say i am trying to find something more affordable. and are you living in costa rica? travelled there twice and still remains my dream for ideal home. theres nothing i didnt enjoy about costa rica. first trip i travelled with my bike and loved riding by volcan arenal. as you say pura vida!

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Pura vida, Juan Pablo!

As i matter of fact I do ride a 575 and it is an awesome ride... well worth the price. I currently live in Germany while I do my PhD studies.

Glad you liked my nice, little country... I miss it constantly, specially when it is so cold as right now .. oh well...

Here's a pic of my ride, I will gladly answer any questions you have on the 575... and to fit the thread .. I do run XT brakes on it 203mm front / 180mm rear and Hope Pro 2s ;)

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess you can see where i got my sig name from, espanol. yip, i was gonna ask if you run a pike as i have one and wanted to know if it is a good match, no need to ask now. i am glad to see i made a sound choice on the brakes too. i will defo look at a bigger rotor up front, and since i am writing, do i need to know anything about fitting a 203mm. if the adaptors dont work and i must buy a 6 hole rotor then i will just get a bigger one while i am at it. will it just fit straight on? also i want to know how hard you push your yeti. i am keen to get into a more AM style of riding and i like to work on my drop offs to prep me for the trail. not to get into freeride but just work on my skills. i know the 575 is a great trail bike but how much can it handle. i am cinsidering the 2006 s-works enduro, heckler. blur 4x and now the transition preston too. as a dirrect comparison to the 575 are the orange 5 and commencal meta 5. the cove is lush but i have to draw the line on price at the 575 mark or i could just go on and on.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
juan pablo said:
i guess you can see where i got my sig name from, espanol. yip, i was gonna ask if you run a pike as i have one and wanted to know if it is a good match, no need to ask now. i am glad to see i made a sound choice on the brakes too. i will defo look at a bigger rotor up front, and since i am writing, do i need to know anything about fitting a 203mm. if the adaptors dont work and i must buy a 6 hole rotor then i will just get a bigger one while i am at it. will it just fit straight on? also i want to know how hard you push your yeti. i am keen to get into a more AM style of riding and i like to work on my drop offs to prep me for the trail. not to get into freeride but just work on my skills. i know the 575 is a great trail bike but how much can it handle. i am cinsidering the 2006 s-works enduro, heckler. blur 4x and now the transition preston too. as a dirrect comparison to the 575 are the orange 5 and commencal meta 5. the cove is lush but i have to draw the line on price at the 575 mark or i could just go on and on.
Yeah I was guessing from your username....

For the 203mm rotors you just need the matching PM-to-IS 203 adapter "for QR forks" shimano part number SM-MA-F203P/S, chain reaction cycles has a great price on them (the rotors are a bit cheaper here in Germany, but not that much). The "for QR forks" part is because there are some adapters that are labeled as "for 20mm forks" because the forks require thicker adapters than the QR ones, however the Pike needs the "plain" QR adapter I showed.

I am actually in that same process... learning to do drops and things like that,,, so I'm not pushing it very hard yet... I weigh 220lbs though.. so even on small efforts I put "extra" strain on it... and so far so good. I came from a Specialized Epic to the 575.. and I am loving it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Merlin supplied my wheels which are XT rotors on Hope XC hubs. They weren't able to fit the centre-lock rotors to the Hope hubs and I had to get them to swap out the rotors for 6-bolt ones. There was never any mention of an "adapter". I'd be very interested in what you end up with as this option cost me a bit more than I'd planned.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just got off the phone from merlin and the dude must have made a mistake regarding adaptors. turns out he meant i am getting 6 bolt rotors. cant see the similarity, i would assume an adaptor would have converted the center locks to 6 bolt. replacement rotors is a no brainer and would have saved all the stress. i have to buy the rotors they arent changing them out. so i will have to sell the centerlocks or see if i go for a center lock rear hub when i get to order my rear wheel.
tanks for the help and happy riding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.