Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get organized (early) for the upcoming season and I’m considering trying some new tires. I’m pretty much set on Maxxis. The Rekon Race, specifically.

I’d like to run an Ikon 2.35 or Rekon 2.4 up front. Which size Rekon Race would pair well with these options?

The 2.35 Rekon Race seems like the obvious choice, but I’ve heard the casing is actually larger than the 2.4 regular Rekon. I know my 2.35 Ikon is bigger in the casing than my 2.4 Rekon...

Anyone running Rekon Race out back? What works well up front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Try Ardent race 2.35 for front tire or Forekaster, but FK has smaller volume. Rekon 2.4 is a wide trail, so if you want the real volume on this tire you need 28-30 inner rim

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I’m trying to get organized (early) for the upcoming season and I’m considering trying some new tires. I’m pretty much set on Maxxis. The Rekon Race, specifically.

I’d like to run an Ikon 2.35 or Rekon 2.4 up front. Which size Rekon Race would pair well with these options?

The 2.35 Rekon Race seems like the obvious choice, but I’ve heard the casing is actually larger than the 2.4 regular Rekon. I know my 2.35 Ikon is bigger in the casing than my 2.4 Rekon...

What is the internal width of your rims? If 28mm+ run the 2.4 Maxxis tires. If internal width is 25mm, run the 2.35 Maxxis tires. Different tires are designed to work with different rim widths. You'll get better results this way.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have two XC wheel sets - 25mm and 29mm internal widths.

I apologize for my convoluted question above. I guess what I’m mainly asking is if anyone can confirm the actual width of the Rekon Race 2.35 vs the Rekon 2.4. The casings, specifically.

I have had many Ikon 2.35, Forekaster 2.35 and now Rekon 2.4. The Ikon 2.35 is oddly large (true to size?) and doesn’t pair well with any of them. It’s actually a better match with the undersized Rekon 2.6.

The Ardent Race 2.35 is an interesting suggestion for the front. I actually have an unused set in a box... if the Rekon Race 2.35 is on the same massive carcass as the Ikon/Ardent Race 2.35 it’ll work nicely.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I absolutely love my recon race combo. 2.25 front and rear. Ive been racing and riding kn it all fall and winter. I have always favored volume and run historically a 60mm tire up front or at a minimum a forekaster 2.35 (which has about the same casing size as a 2.25 rekon race.) i ride this combo on the chunkiest trails in America. Trust me, you will be just fine in the 2.25. Give them a shot!

I first tried the Rekon race as a front with an aspen rear. I did 1 muddy race (before the world went kn lockdown on this combo and 6 weeks in bentonville. I then moved it to the rear and paired it with the forekaster front. For me the Rekon race is better than the aspen. Aspens dont brake for **** in the rear, but I’m the guy chasing downhill koms on an XC bike. I ride with a lot of bike lean and bike body separation. If this describes your riding, you will love the shoulder knobs of the rekon race and the speed of the center knobs. I would imagine someone who corners in the saddle more may struggle with throwing it into the shoulder knob and may favor an aspen. Because of this, LOTS of people favor an aspen front with a rekon race rear. I have nit personally tested this combo and find it hard to bring myself to try it.

With that being said, almost half the racers in cat 1 here seem to be on an aspen/aspen.

If you want volume, you can give anything you mentioned a shot. If you want max grip, use a forekaster front. If you want the fastest, try an aspen 2.25 or the new 2.4 WT. aspen 2.25 casing is almost 1mm larger than 2.25 rekon race.

Sell your new ardent races to someone else. Its a tire that accels at nothing.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'd run the Rekon Race in Front and an Aspen 2.4 in rear. You'll win with this ;)

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
I am not in love with the Rekon Race. I have had a lot of puncture issues them, enough that I would not use them as a race tire if there is even a hint of sharp rocks. Maybe it is just bad luck, but I have not had the same issues with Aspens.

Performance wise, I feel that the Aspen and Rekon Race are pretty similar. I do feel that both the Aspens and Rekon Race's give up significant performance pretty early in their lifespan. If you go with either get two sets, a training and a racing set.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I absolutely love my recon race combo. 2.25 front and rear. Ive been racing and riding kn it all fall and winter. I have always favored volume and run historically a 60mm tire up front or at a minimum a forekaster 2.35 (which has about the same casing size as a 2.25 rekon race.) i ride this combo on the chunkiest trails in America. Trust me, you will be just fine in the 2.25. Give them a shot!

I first tried the Rekon race as a front with an aspen rear. I did 1 muddy race (before the world went kn lockdown on this combo and 6 weeks in bentonville. I then moved it to the rear and paired it with the forekaster front. For me the Rekon race is better than the aspen. Aspens dont brake for **** in the rear, but I’m the guy chasing downhill koms on an XC bike. I ride with a lot of bike lean and bike body separation. If this describes your riding, you will love the shoulder knobs of the rekon race and the speed of the center knobs. I would imagine someone who corners in the saddle more may struggle with throwing it into the shoulder knob and may favor an aspen. Because of this, LOTS of people favor an aspen front with a rekon race rear. I have nit personally tested this combo and find it hard to bring myself to try it.

With that being said, almost half the racers in cat 1 here seem to be on an aspen/aspen.

If you want volume, you can give anything you mentioned a shot. If you want max grip, use a forekaster front. If you want the fastest, try an aspen 2.25 or the new 2.4 WT. aspen 2.25 casing is almost 1mm larger than 2.25 rekon race.

Sell your new ardent races to someone else. Its a tire that accels at nothing.

Ha. I like your enthusiasm! I was actually considering the 2.25 Rekon Race/Rekon combo for my 25mm wheels. With Tannus Tubeless inserts. I’ve been riding Forekaster 2.35 with Cushcore XC all winter and actually really like the ride. I used to find their casings to feel a little small, but the inserts have got me enjoying smaller, lighter tires. Nothing crazy - still EXO casings - but maybe a little smaller than my usual 60+mm choices.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not in love with the Rekon Race. I have had a lot of puncture issues them, enough that I would not use them as a race tire if there is even a hint of sharp rocks. Maybe it is just bad luck, but I have not had the same issues with Aspens.

Performance wise, I feel that the Aspen and Rekon Race are pretty similar. I do feel that both the Aspens and Rekon Race's give up significant performance pretty early in their lifespan. If you go with either get two sets, a training and a racing set.
Which size Rekon Race were you running? What did you have up front?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too am struggling to figure out what front tire to pair with a 2.4" rekon race in the rear. I'm running 29mm internal width rims. I could mount a 2.4" xr3 that I already own, but I was planning on getting something new. Intended use is marathon xc races. I have a dedicated trail wheelset with DHF and aggressor.

What are people's thoughts on the rekon race vs. the bontrager xr3? They seem fairly similar to me with short tightly packed rolling knobs and a larger cornering knobs. I have not mounted the rekon race yet, nor have I seen one mounted in person. So I'm speculating on its profile based on pictures I've seen.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
This may be a callous response.

Buy both tires. Not through a bike shop. Paying retail at a bike shop for tires is downright crazy. Nor should you be limited to what shops have locally.

Get a few tires, test them out in similar conditions, switch front and rear, figure out what you like best.

I think you need a good amount of miles on a tire to make a decision unless its just terrible.( I returned an ardent race and xr2 the next day)

Sometimes ill try out a new combo starting on the preride of the course starting a week out. Its risky, but i do so with the willingness yo change tires at my truck for a second lap. I have about 15 tires in my truck anyway.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I too am struggling to figure out what front tire to pair with a 2.4" rekon race in the rear. I'm running 29mm internal width rims. I could mount a 2.4" xr3 that I already own, but I was planning on getting something new. Intended use is marathon xc races. I have a dedicated trail wheelset with DHF and aggressor.

What are people's thoughts on the rekon race vs. the bontrager xr3? They seem fairly similar to me with short tightly packed rolling knobs and a larger cornering knobs. I have not mounted the rekon race yet, nor have I seen one mounted in person. So I'm speculating on its profile based on pictures I've seen.
I'm running a 2.4 Rekon (front) and a Rekon Race 2.4 (rear) on my trail wheels for my XC bike. I like the Rekon Race 2.4 (F & R) for desert Utah racing.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm running a 2.4 Rekon (front) and a Rekon Race 2.4 (rear) on my trail wheels for my XC bike. I like the Rekon Race 2.4 (F & R) for desert Utah racing.
Interesting. The front tires’s casing isn’t smaller than the rear?

I tried that setup with an Ikon 2.35 in back and it was visibly larger than the Rekon 2.4 up front (I measured to verify but don’t have the numbers handy).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts