Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, this is probably the longest post I've ever written on MTBR (and hopefully will remain that way). :eek:

At at a ride someone asked how I liked my Ibis Mojo, and in the conversation I somehow mentioned my husband, who has is riding an older model hardtail, sometimes likes to ride the Mojo when I'm not around and he's in total awe of it. Then I was asked something like, "how did you get the sweet bike before your husband?" I just replied that, well, I make the money in the family, which felt a little awkward to have to explain.

I certainly don't feel anything malicious AT ALL was meant by this, but then it got me thinkin'... I know I'm not the only gal out there who enjoys mountain biking completely independently of the man in her life, finding it to be just a bonus that he happens to be into mtn biking too, right?

Back in 2004 when I first got into this sport, I admit, my husband was the first one who was serious about getting a mountain bike, because there happened to be a dirt trail between where we lived and where he worked. So, as it turned out, I went down to the bike shop with him, and we both looked at all the nice new bikes, and rode on some, and what the heck? I was already interested in getting into mountain biking because I had been really into snowboarding, and I wanted something to do when there wasn't snow around. So, we walked out of there with two new bikes, (his Gary Fisher 29'er, and my Specialized Rockhopper), that I ended up fronting the dukats for.

Now, it doesn't matter to me how we, or anyone, put together the "fun coupons" to buy the bikes. (I mean, it if it was legal) What matters is, since then, we have had some great times riding in some amazing places, and I wouldn't have given that up for anything.

I mean, heck, if your guy is willing to buy you a mountain bike, well - score! (Or if you are a gal, and your gal partner bought you a bike, or vice-versa, whatever!) I just would like it to be known that it works all different ways.

Anyone have any similar stories of either getting their partner into riding, or even fronting the money for his gear that might help shake up some of the perceptions out there? :D

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Well I've always been into bike riding. So when wen I got together with my other half we brought a Hardrock Comp each. Mine did probably 3 x as many k's in the 5yrs and that was having 2 kids in the meantime!
I then upgraded to a Trance, and now back on a HT, but I was the one who brought hubby a new bike, his only concern would have been to get a colour he likes. But due to work and whatever else we haven't really got into going riding together yet - well if it doesn't happen soon I'll threaten to turn it into a singlespeed :D Realistically though I knew that he may or may not ride much so I made sure I got a bike that I would be happy to ride too (lickily we're similar size wise).

But yes I reckon mtb guys who meet mtb girls would assume that their partner or some guy originally got them into it. Well not the case with me, and like you say if I had met someone who was into it as much as me then it would have just been a bonus.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
shredchic said:
Then I was asked something like, "how did you get the sweet bike before your husband?" I just replied that, well, I make the money in the family, which felt a little awkward to have to explain.
Whoever asked this probably didn't mean anything bad by it, even if it is a lame-o question.

OTOH, Why don't you get him a better bike? ;) Lots of couples here must allocate for "2" versions of any cool gear in the family budget.

·
Glue Sniffer
553 Posts
I got into trials riding while my husband was off the bike with a bum shoulder. Without my favoritest riding partner, I found myself spending more and more time practicing trackstands and nosestands in the parking lot before my rides, until one day, I just skipped the riding all together to indulge my love of what would later become trials. I continued practicing on my own, and 'til this day have yet to actually ride with another trials ride, though I'm really hoping that'll change soon.

It's very rare for women to be into trials riding, and probably even more rare for people to hone their skills in a completely independent fashion.

When I was traveling around with my husband as part of the IMBA Trail Care Crew, my trials bike lived on the roof and, given it's lack of seat and gynormous rear tire, it garnered a lot of attention.

Attention that was usually directed at my husband. "So, you ride trials, eh?"

"Uh...yeah right. That's my wife's bike."

"Wha...Oh. Oh! That's awesome!"

I'm stoked to see women on the trails, and equally as impressed by the number of men coming in here to ask about getting their wives, sisters, daughters to love the riding as well. I'm not offended at all when men or women assume that my husband got me into riding, or into trials, or even drove the decision to be on the Trail Care Crew (okay, maybe a little on the latter), just because that is the norm, for now. I day dream about the day when every community has an awesome women's ride, creating an atmosphere where both men and women are actively bringing more women into the sport.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
So I get my Wife a Girls Stumpy

She had been riding about 6 weeks and I had seen this small women's version in the racks at my sponsors shop on sale. Her only resistance to it was that she is not accustomed to having money spent on her like that (except for jewelry.) Fit her perfectly but she liked it best locked-out because it felt "like a noodle."

So we are in the shop a few days later as a splash guard came in. A women,clearly a cyclist of some equity, said out of the blue, " I guess you expect her to ride singletrack now." I looked at her for a moment, started to speak, and counted to 10. What went through my mind was "wtf do you know about me and my wife? Do you know who you are talking to? Do you have any idea how many women I have started riding and keep riding? Where do you get your biases anyhow?....... but said none of these. Then I said, looking her in the eye, "my wife deserves the best bike we can afford and she will ride wherever she wants." The lady had no reply.

In a related incident we pulled up to my teams End of Season BBQ with the bikes in the bed of the truck. My son and his racing friends were hanging around looking at Mom's new rig and one of the boys said "your mom has a better bike than you do." You could see that this dug into my kid. I heard him say, as an aside, that she hadn't earned it. I know that he was speaking as a racer who would love a fine ride like that and that all the boys were just teens and can say some pretty callow things. They don't mean any harm. I took him aside and encouraged him that mom deserved this for so many reasons. He said, "I know, dad. I guess I just wish I had a nice bike." I work hard on his bike to make it as nice as I can. I recall saying something similar to my dad about my car, which he provided, when I was a teen. What goes around...

In a related incident I took my son to the NorCal Championship Camp. His reaction upon arrival was unfamiliar to me. He was quiet and reserved and I found out later, daunted by all of the fantastic bikes (custom, Ti, carbon,XTR) the boys were riding. He rides a modest Rockhopper Disc, always in great tune, but not chi chi by any means but he was able to be a top 10 racer on it. The next day he had a victory in the Prologue race and the top racer at the Camp said, "dude! you were screaming on that run." He heard riders say " that kid in those pink converse (mine) smoked me on that climb. How does he do it on a 30 pound bike?"

In a related incident I built him a SS to get around town this summer. The first 3 nights he kept it next to his bed. He is working for a custom bike and wheel builder as a grommet to "earn" his racing bike.

In a related incident my wife rides about 3 times per week and her skills and power are slowly developing. She rode at Ales and Trails with the REI folk. She looks great on the course and tries very hard. I think she is enjoying this mtb thing.

I guess my point is that what people say comes from their own special context. What we do attracts attention and, rather than bristling at the nature of it, use it as a teachable moment and make it better for everyone.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
I upgraded hubby last fall. He got me into biking, but I'd say my passion way exceeds his, but he does like to ride. I've upgraded 2x since he had his second bike, which he kept insisting was fine and nice. He was riding a classic early to mid 90's Speicalized M2 Comp Hardtail, very classic race geometry. Over the years I've upgraded the fork, the cranks etc but he always insisted it was "just fine, it's a nice bike".

When I got my accident settlement check last fall, I basically said, "I am getting you a new full suspension bike". I called ahead, had LBS pick out a variety of size L 4/4 and 5/5 bikes and let him choose. He ended up with a Kona Dawg Supreme and he loves it.

"Yes honey you were right, I needed a new bike.":D

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Impy said:
Whoever asked this probably didn't mean anything bad by it, even if it is a lame-o question.

OTOH, Why don't you get him a better bike? ;) Lots of couples here must allocate for "2" versions of any cool gear in the family budget.
Yeah, totally - I'm positive nothing mean was meant by the person asking the question. He seemed like a really nice guy. In fact, everyone I've ridden with so far has been exceptionally cool and fun to hang with.

Yeah! My hubby has a specific bike in mind now, and I'm definitely into helping him get it. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am really into riding, and have been for 20 years, and am currently awaiting my new Moots. My husband never even owned a bike until he was 60 years old. He is the money maker in our family, but I do work and keep a certain amount of what I earn as "fun money". My husband doesn't buy my bikes, but he also doesn't care what I spend, as long as it comes out of my fun money. A nice bike is important to me, hence the Moots.

My husband wanted to start riding with me more (yeah!), and wanted a lighter bike, but he was only willing to spend $1000. He put out the money for his bike, but I selected every part and put together a sub 23 lb. hardtail for him. I selected a light, no name aluminum frame, and put the bulk of his money towards a nice wheelset and the best components I could get within the buget. The bike turned out nice, and he's enjoying riding it.

When people see us, I'm sure they'll probably wonder why I have such a high $ bike and he's on a budget build. I would love for him to have a Moots too, but he would never dream of spending so much on a bike.

Here is a pic of the bike I put together for my husband:

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
And some don't have to...

I'm one of the fortunate that doesn't have to buy her bikes. The last I bike I bought was when I was 16. I bought a roadbike with fully campy on it. Cost me a pretty penny. That was way too long ago for me to really want to admit, but I haven't bought a bike since, and I have about 10 in my stable.

On the other hand, when you and your hubby own a shop, it's a different situation. I don't make lots of money (a comparable job outside the shop would net me at least 5x's as much as what I make now), but the benefits are well worth the cut in pay (lots of bikes, time with my kids, travel to bike destinations, race fees paid, freedom to manage free time). Who needs a Lexus and a 3000+sq ft house?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.