Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MaxM MX - 5 handlebar (new version in the 660mm length) 148 grams actual - advertised as 150 grams.

MaxM MX - 27 seatpost (new clamp version 27.2mm x 400mm) 180 grams actual - advertised as 175 grams.

Race Face Deus XC stem (new lighter version 110mm x 6 degrees) 134 grams actual advertised as 125 grams. The bolt are some type of alloy (not all alluminum) as they are not magnetic, however they are not as light as alluminum would be.

Prolite saddle from Supergo Ti rails actual 210 grams advertised as 173 grams. Super cheap at $20.

Jag

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
same thing...

macsi said:
It's much more reliable to put the digital scale on some hard surface. On the carpet I get wild errors... BTW, be careful with draught: it can throw off the measurement by 10%!

-b
I previously weighed all the items on a hard surface (table top) with the same results. I took the pictures on the carpet to eliminate any glare...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Jag said:
MaxM MX - 5 handlebar (new version in the 660mm length) 148 grams actual - advertised as 150 grams.

MaxM MX - 27 seatpost (new clamp version 27.2mm x 400mm) 180 grams actual - advertised as 175 grams.

Race Face Deus XC stem (new lighter version 110mm x 6 degrees) 134 grams actual advertised as 125 grams. The bolt are some type of alloy (not all alluminum) as they are not magnetic, however they are not as light as alluminum would be.

Prolite saddle from Supergo Ti rails actual 210 grams advertised as 173 grams. Super cheap at $20.

Jag
The bolts on the stem could be stainless steel. There are some stainless steels that are not magnetic (or at least it is so weak that it's hard to tell), I noticed this with the bolt on my Extralite The Clamp.

I got the same bar at 145g, cut it down from 26" to 23.5" and the weight went down to 136g. I got the same post, but in 31.6mm, claimed weight of 185g, actual weight was 206g. I was a little dissapointed that it is 20g over the claimed weight, but it is still 20g lighter than the old version. The post has a lot of bolts, but they all pretty small so if you changed them all to Ti it would only save about 7g. Not sure if that is worth the $20 to $25 it would cost for all seven bolts.

What do you think of the new post clamp? I like that the tilt and the front/back position of the saddle can be adjusted completely independently of each other, and it seems to have a great range of positions for the tilt. I haven't had a chance to ride mine yet since the trails are still too muddy from the snow melt, but I like it so far.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Preliminary thoughts...

VT Mike said:
The bolts on the stem could be stainless steel.

What do you think of the new post clamp? I like that the tilt and the front/back position of the saddle can be adjusted completely independently of each other, and it seems to have a great range of positions for the tilt. I haven't had a chance to ride mine yet since the trails are still too muddy from the snow melt, but I like it so far.
Come to think of it, I think your right Mike... The bolts look to be stainless steel as they are not very light. With respect to the new post, I like you, have not battle tested it (I have my Thomson post on the sidelines at the ready...). Anyway the adjustment in the tilt looks to have quite the range. I must say the clamp design does look very ingenious and relatively simple. Furthermore, even though it is a carbon post the lack of the carbon weave look is refreshing as the carbon "look" has become passé

Jag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.