Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's hard to take action shots when you ride solo. So, here are some pics from a local trail. If you ever take a spill on this trail, you'll know why they call this Grave Ridge.

1. Attack of the killer tomahawks.
2. Down the rock slide. Steeper than it looks.
3. Same slide, except near the bottom looking back up.
4. Plenty of rock slabs. Bike shown for perspective.
5. More rocks, roots, and pine needles.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, here are some pics from the "less rocky side". Sweet flowing singletrack can be found near the creek across the road from Grave's.

1. Great stuff that is less rocky along the creek. This stuff can really be railed fast.
2. Nice tricky creek crossing. Where I'm standing, the bank is like 6 feet above the water. The first 3 feet you can't see because it's like a wall. It stops many a lesser riders.
3. More flowing stuff that begs to be railed.

Well, that's all I have for now. I'll have to start taking my camera along and get more pics of the good stuff.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

·
in the getto
175 Posts
NICE PA singletrack , thanks Steiny. Looks like i should make a trip out there next summer. Are these trails well marked?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, sort of, maybe, but not really

toe-knee said:
NICE PA singletrack , thanks Steiny. Looks like i should make a trip out there next summer. Are these trails well marked?
The entire Michaux State Forest is like 85,000+ acres. It is huge. There are at least 3 major areas (north, middle, and south) with distinct sub divisions within those areas. There have been numerous MTB races held there over the years with all sorts of maps for each section. I'm not sure if those maps can be found on the web or not. There are several sites that have maps for the Pine Grove Furnace section (part of northern Michaux) which allows ATVs on most of the trails (thought they actually only use a fraction of them). Grave Ridge is in the Pine Grove Furnace section. Those creek trail shots are on the other side of route 233. I'm not aware of any official trail maps of that side, but there have been plenty of races that have used Dead Woman's Hollow, 3-mile trail, and Rattlesnake Ridge.

But to answer your question, the trails are not marked well. In fact, most aren't even marked at all. Only the official ATV trails are marked. The worst part is, they didn't mark the trails, they marked the trail intersections. So you'll get to the end of the trail and if it's a 4 way intersection, you'll see all 4 trails marked with the same number. You have to know where you came from and have some sense of direction to know which trail to choose next. In general, PA has some of the best east coast riding and hands down the worst marked trails (if any markings) of any place I have ever ridden.

Maybe we'll have to entertain a Ventana east coast gathering next year or something? :)

·
Ventana Mountain Bikes
172 Posts
steiny said:
Maybe we'll have to entertain a Ventana east coast gathering next year or something? :)
Do it, and I will certainly try an make it. I haven't been back east since about 1996 and I only rode a couple of times in Philly when I was there...cool pics, Steiny

·
Registered
753 Posts
steiny said:
It's hard to take action shots when you ride solo. So, here are some pics from a local trail. If you ever take a spill on this trail, you'll know why they call this Grave Ridge.

1. Attack of the killer tomahawks.
2. Down the rock slide. Steeper than it looks.
3. Same slide, except near the bottom looking back up.
4. Plenty of rock slabs. Bike shown for perspective.
5. More rocks, roots, and pine needles.
I bet it is really interesting in the wet.

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
I'd be interested in joining you guys if you put something together. My parents live in Altoona, so I could go in the guise of a family visit. PA riding is definitely different than what we have in the southern Appalachians. Much, much rockier. Couple that with the dense, moist forest and those rocks can literally jump out from nowhere and stop you in your tracks!

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Count me in!

LoneStar said:
I'd be interested in joining you guys if you put something together. My parents live in Altoona, so I could go in the guise of a family visit. PA riding is definitely different than what we have in the southern Appalachians. Much, much rockier. Couple that with the dense, moist forest and those rocks can literally jump out from nowhere and stop you in your tracks!
Count me in! I'm not sure where Michaux is though but I'm in Pittsburgh. Pa riding is really diverse and truly awesome. I've always said that if you can ride east coast trails you can ride anywhere! The trail markings here in Pa. are poop for sure. Better know a local.

·
Shot Down in Flames...
1,218 Posts
creationrebel said:
Schotter and I were discussing this possibillity on a recent double Bruja mission.

Maybe the NYC tri-state area would work for the meeting in the East ?

Wicked trails here:

Ringwood, NJ
Ninham, NY
Blue Mountain, NY
Trumbull, CT

Maybe we can even get Larry to come out ?

CR
That's a North East destination. It might as well be Utah as far as the South is concerned.

How about some where more centally located for the entire East coast like Virginia, WV or the like.

JMO,
D.

·
Mmmm Rocks Good
645 Posts
Pittsburgh. lots of options, easy access

D-Rock said:
That's a North East destination. It might as well be Utah as far as the South is concerned.

How about some where more centally located for the entire East coast like Virginia, WV or the like.

JMO,
D.
The Pittsburgh area has a ton of options, ride wise and getting to da burgh is easy. We could even tie something in w/a DirtRag ride if they are around that weekend. DirtRag is published in da burgh. Come on up for the 16th annual DirtRag Punk Bike Enduro this Sunday! :D

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Sweet Trails...

Reminds me a lot of some of the high sierra rides here in Nor-Cal that I haven't been on in way too long. (Dam shoulder seperation)

And an East Coast Gathering. Dam, I'm going to be broke next year too!!!

-A

P.S. - Nice Pics and for "action" shots on solo rides.. make friends with Ty Mer!

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Nice eastern trail pictures !

Hey steiny !

Maybe someday I'll get out that way ! Upper Michigan is about as far east as I have ever gotten with bikes loaded in the truck , looks nice ! TIG.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
Reminds me a lot of some of the high sierra rides here in Nor-Cal that I haven't been on in way too long. (Dam shoulder seperation)

And an East Coast Gathering. Dam, I'm going to be broke next year too!!!

-A

P.S. - Nice Pics and for "action" shots on solo rides.. make friends with Ty Mer!
I don't have a shoulder seperation, I'm just lazy and getting fat and slow or I mean fat and slower. I'm also going to be broke for a while. So how about a West Coast gathering. We could have one a Sea Otter or Downieville or ?

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Downieville!!!!

Pauliemon said:
I don't have a shoulder seperation, I'm just lazy and getting fat and slow or I mean fat and slower. I'm also going to be broke for a while. So how about a West Coast gathering. We could have one a Sea Otter or Downieville or ?
I vote for Downie, Although I will be at the Otter, since it's now as much tradition as anything for a true "gathering" with multi-days worth of riding Downie would be awesome.

Then again Mammoth is always an option, which I believe we will be going back to in August 06.......

-A

P.S. We're hitting Salmon Falls Sunday, early start due to my curfew 8:30. Care to join?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ajr said:
I bet it is really interesting in the wet.
It is actually the worst in summer when you try to beat the heat by getting out early. The low dew point coupled with the high humidity causes the rocks to get greasy. You'll know right away if you've got the right tires and pressure or not. If you mount up the weaksauce, you'll be doing a survival ride. :(

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ciclistagonzo said:
for "action" shots on solo rides.. make friends with Ty Mer!
I have an entry level digital that doesn't have variable timing. I get a 12 second count down before shutter launch. You'll only ever see one picture - me about 10 feet away and out of focus trying to get clipped in to my pedals. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some info

Where is Michaux? If you use Mapquest.com, type in Shippensburg, PA and click to get the map. Northern Michaux is due east of Shippensburg and route 233 cuts down the middle of it. Middle Michaux is below that and heads down toward route 30. Below route 30 in the Mont Alto area is where south Michaux is located.

For long distances, you're looking at I-81 for N/S driving and I-76 (PA turnpike) for E/W driving. Closest airport is Harrisburg International (MDT). I live about 2 miles from the airport, so that might be convenient.

I'll have to give this some serious thought and see what I can come up with. If some other guys want to lead rides in their area, that would be good too. If there is a NY-ish destination and a VA-ish destination for instance and we space the dates apart by at least a month or two, maybe some lucky duckies can get to 2 or all 3 rides. Other guys might only be able to make 1 because of dates or because of locations. I'd personally like to make as many locations as I have time and money for and are made available.

I'll probably post a new thread a little later about possible times and dates and see what the buy in looks like.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
I vote for Downie, Although I will be at the Otter, since it's now as much tradition as anything for a true "gathering" with multi-days worth of riding Downie would be awesome.

Then again Mammoth is always an option, which I believe we will be going back to in August 06.......

-A

P.S. We're hitting Salmon Falls Sunday, early start due to my curfew 8:30. Care to join?
They all sound good. I vote Downieville / Otter / Mammoth in that order.

Are you starting a 8:30 or finishing at 8:30? I got to be at work at 10:30 Sunday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.