Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
^^^ I was wondering and just figured it must be the new one. I wonder how the new one would do. I used to run the old XR3s and def noticed the XR4 being draggier. I was considering going back to and XR3 in the rear, but after the new ones came out I had second thoughts. I'll probably give one a try anyway.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Does anyone know whether these are steel drum tests? Because in my experience, these don't translate well to the trail where the compliance of the tire matters. Take the Race King - it killed it in the test. And yet, I have been consistently slower on this tire on a rooty loop that I have ridden dozens and dozens of times. It has been slower than Fast Traks, XR1s, Michelin Force XC, and Aspen.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Kenda rubber still wears out pretty stupidly fast. 500 miles and a day at a bike park reduces the legendary Hellkat grip to something that feels more akin to an entry level tire.

e13 TRS *race* definitely feels a level slower out of everything I've tried.

I still stick to Maxxis for value for money. Can get 3k miles out of a Maxxis tire (HR2, DHR2, Ikon), if it doesn't fail in some other way. The rubber compound is just too good, and EXO is borderline tough enough (SnakeSkin and Kenda ATC are way to flimsy for me).

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know whether these are steel drum tests? Because in my experience, these don't translate well to the trail where the compliance of the tire matters. Take the Race King - it killed it in the test. And yet, I have been consistently slower on this tire on a rooty loop that I have ridden dozens and dozens of times. It has been slower than Fast Traks, XR1s, Michelin Force XC, and Aspen.
It is steel drum. It measures tire compression hysteresis loss. It does not measure losses created by the interaction between the tread and the ground. In my experience, *warning speculation* it is best applied to dry conditions, because the tires that test well do feel fast to me. In wet conditions, knob shape and height affects drag losses more as they push in and are sucked out.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
So the higher the watt# the slower the tire?
Theoretically, yes. It is indoor with lab equipment. May not translate well to the real world. I generally found them to be OK. Tires such as the old Nevegal were >50 watts and felt exactly like that.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What I found most amusing was the E13 "race" S/S tire. My other beliefs were confirmed - most XC tires are fast, Bontrager tires are good, avoid E13, Kenda, and Michelin.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I went directly from a XR4 to the E-13 SS (trs not race) and the E-13 is noticably faster on my trails. On hardpack it's WAY faster on PNW loam it may actually be a bit slower as the sidelugs make contact. With that no tire is fast riding on a sponge.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Any info about widths tested? And I wish that they had more Maxxis in there like the DHF, DHR2, and Aggressor as they are arguably some of the most popular tires on the trail, at least where I ride.
Kenda rubber still wears out pretty stupidly fast. 500 miles and a day at a bike park reduces the legendary Hellkat grip to something that feels more akin to an entry level tire.

e13 TRS *race* definitely feels a level slower out of everything I've tried.

I still stick to Maxxis for value for money. Can get 3k miles out of a Maxxis tire (HR2, DHR2, Ikon), if it doesn't fail in some other way. The rubber compound is just too good, and EXO is borderline tough enough (SnakeSkin and Kenda ATC are way to flimsy for me).
Disappointing to hear that about the Maxxis, I once had some Kenda Honey Badgers that I really liked but thorns punctured them super easily and the tread wore out in a fraction of the time that any other Maxxis I have ever owned. I was hoping to try out the Hellkat and hoped that it lasted longer.
It reiterates what I've noticed when I test tires, that the Schwalbe's tend to roll faster than every other tire due to the compound.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Scwhalbes seem to run lighter than other tire brands too though and the only tire I have ever destroyed on a trail was the Nobby Nic, so I am concerned that they are also more fragile. I have been curious about throwing a Hans Dampf on my bike but have good luck with Maxxis so I am concerned about switching brands.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Yea, Schwalbe just plays too hard on the spec sheet game. They try to get weights stupidly low and I've had to go through multiple warranties with them, which they honor generously. I can F-up a discount tire that I got for $35 from JensonUSA and they'll give me a code to order anything off their North American site shipped free.

One was a snakeskin casing that got warped oddly, and another was just too thin of a rubber layer under the shoulder knob, allowing it to tear.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh I thought it was strange to completely leave out Vittoria since so many people use it while including E13 and Kenda. A Mezcal/Barzo combo in the XC category would do well.

They gave the XR3 (old) the highest marks on cornering of any tire in the XC/marathon test, and it has a low rolling resistance and good puncture resistance. Sounds like Bonty messed up by changing it.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Interesting that the XR3 rolls faster than the XR2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the bontrager tires say 39.99 euro which I am pretty sure means they didn't test the team issue versions. You know, the version that 95% of mtbr readers would use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
My wife and I have and like RaceKing and I wonder if the feeling slow times comes from just not having a lot of off road traction. With those and MSO 50s in similar bikes I notice the RaceKings just can't corder as fast and slip where the MSO 50s can have traction.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the bontrager tires say 39.99 euro which I am pretty sure means they didn't test the team issue versions. You know, the version that 95% of mtbr readers would use.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
They listed them as Team Issue on the subsequent pages.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.