Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
drink coffee, ride.
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello there -
I'm looking for a thread which inevitably will lead to a trail, which was posted quite some time ago. Hopin' that somebody recalls the thread or at least knows the trail, as I'm planning a trip in July to Estes area. I remember some photos of a semi-circular dam which was blown out and an outhouse that overlooked the stream. Was of the gold rush era so I did some searching, as it seems to me that it should be around Red Mountain pass area, or the Alpine loop or maybe Georgetown? Couldn't find the thread with those terms.

Somebody made a comment about performance anxiety tryin' to do their business in the outhouse overlooking the canyon/stream.

Does it sound familiar?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I have no clue about the thread you are thinking of, but most likely the dam you are thinking of is the one at the ghost town of Henson, not too far up the the Engineer Pass road outside Lake City.

·
drink coffee, ride.
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah - from the goog satellite image, that looks like the right shape and size. Little too far of a drive for this summer, may need an additional run.

I was hoping for a high country ride around Georgetown, maybe it'll be Argentine or Guanella or Lenawee, some pretty amazing views there.

Thanks a bunch -

·
ride
5,274 Posts
There's lots of good riding around Estes. Hit me up and I'm happy to tourguide.

·
drink coffee, ride.
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the plan last year - stop by the shop, meet some new folks, ride some bikes, check out Oscar Blues (since they are distributed in AZ). However, the best laid plans of mice and men ended me up checking out the fine Estes Park Medical facilities. So, this year things are hoping to be much different ;o)

2 years ago was able to check out Hall Ranch, and made the exploration from Big Elk Meadows to Estes with a coffee stop at Kind. Now it appears as though the private land access in the Lion Gulch area has been restricted. So, not wanting to add to any access issues you all have, I turned the bike around and headed back to the cabin.

Thanks for the offer and will take you up on it.

·
Stiff yet compliant
1,895 Posts
Big Elk Meadows may not be accessible but there are still legal ways to connect just about everything up there together. It may just require bigger miles or some 4x4 road travel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts