Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I took the fixie CrossCheck out again for some more rail trail exploration. This time heading East out of town towards the Columbia River. The skies were heavily over cast, and It had rained a bit overnight. The air was a bit chilly, but it felt good to spin to the head of the trail. I had switched out the gearing from a 42x16 on 175mm cranks to a 40x16 on 170's. The first 4 miles or so are pretty gravely, and the lower gear was nicer. After the town of Kittitas, the grade goes up, and the surface turns mostly to a sand gravel mix, which I am glad was damp, and compact. I am sure that some of it would have been very loose and soft had it been dry.

My goal today was to ride to an old rail bridge crossing I90 11 miles east of town. The solitude of the ride was nice, I only saw one other person the whole time, and she was walking her dogs close to town. I had food this time out, and felt good the whole time. One of these days I will make the entire 30 mile ride each way to the river.

the map

mmmm...rail grade

Rollin

the cockpit

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And the last few:

What's on the other side?

The old bridge

The way back

One of the original telegraph stations

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
keypocket said:
that's a nice bike. If you don't mind me asking - how much was that build - and what's on it?
Nope, truly a budget build. I bought the frame to replace an old frame that I broke. Those wheels have to be about 20 years old, but they hold up well, the rear is an old 6speed, that I re-dished. The semi-horiozntal drops allow for all of the tensioning. The only thing new on the bike was the frame/fork, headset, stem and moustache bars I only spent about $470 total (I did not pay full price for the frame). It will get a new wheel set this summer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You just wanna ride that bridge, don'tcha!

THAT would be sumptin!

nice bike, ya got me thinkin' 'bout a roadish fixie....wonder if I can fit a 42t ring on the mtb fixie...

bike ON

bob

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Everytime I see your Cross Check, gpsser, I long for one even more. I don't think I'm going to be happy until I get one and build it up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts