Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode a bit yesterday out on and around the Tahoe Sierra 100 course. The smoke was pretty bad from the fire near Bowman Lake and the fire just below Robinson Flat on Foresthill Rd.
We didn't get on the bikes till after 4:30pm so we kept it pretty simple. Did about 35 miles and got right at 4,500' of climbing, so I would think Jim's estimate of 14,000' of climbing is pretty close. The roads are in pretty good shape right now, the Forest Service had just run a tractor through in preparation for Western States and Tevis so they are pretty much free of all deadfall. Saw more than a couple of blown up trees due to lightning, pretty amazing the energy released by one of those things, picture 2"x6"x10' shards of tree blown out about 50'. The views were not so great, the pictures are all of the Middle Fork side of the canyon, the North Fork side which is the most dramatic was completely obscured by smoke.
Course wise you should figure long 1,200-1500' climbs with some pretty good kickers thrown in. Descents can be really fast with some really loose sections and a lot of gravel, whomever wins this thing is going to have to be comfortable going really fast on loose stuff.
As of today the SS might have a some traction problems that will only get worse. Better figure a gear you can sit with because standing on the cross bike was a no go. I've spent a lot of time out there, never seen it so dry, so early. My best guess for choice of bike, really light FS or a nice light 29er HT.
Jim has spent the better part of a month out there cruising around the woods looking for the best possible route, I am sure he will do a great job. Hopefully we are going to do a test run in the next couple of weeks and some of us can report back then.

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
thanks sean!

thanks for the info Sean! Its nice to see some pics from in there, the only time I've ridden any of it was during the trial run last sept, and all I saw then was snow and hypothermia induced visions :) With WS cancelled, do those roads see enough traffic to pack things down a bit by race time, or should we expect that 4 inches of freshly graded topsoil we love to enjoy just after the forest service cleans a path on fire roads around auburn.

sure is great to see the smoke down a bit here in Auburn and elsewhere!

thanks again

·
Registered
465 Posts
See Ya guys on Juy 19th

I will be up there one day this week to move some tree's and the next four weekends. Look forward to a few of you guys doing the per-ride July 19th. Thanks Sean for the talk today.:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.