Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th of July weekend meant a 4 day weekend in the mountains with the little lady, the hound and some great friends. We hit some great trails but unfortunately didn't take too many pictures. Here's some of the better shots.....

1. Exploration Trails outside of Running Springs, CA. A little rocky action for ya.
2. More of the same.
3. Ultra close up aerial view of a little gal on big girl wheels.
4. Santa Ana River Trail, CA. Fun before the afternoon rains kicked in.
5. The aforementioned afternoon rains.....coming soon..

G'day.

B

Attachments

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MMcG said:
Nice shots. that shot - third up from the bottom - is your wife I presume - more details on her bike please.
That would be Carol Ann, the girlfriend(aka Moonbeam on these MTBR).

The bike is an Airborne B-29 16". It's built up with a Pace fork, SRAM XO drivetrain, King/VXC wheels and pink ano where applicable:)

Do a search on airborne under my user name and you'll find a few threads with pics. It's a sweet little bike, and crazy light.

B

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
donkey said:
That would be Carol Ann, the girlfriend(aka Moonbeam on these MTBR).

The bike is an Airborne B-29 16". It's built up with a Pace fork, SRAM XO drivetrain, King/VXC wheels and pink ano where applicable:)

Do a search on airborne under my user name and you'll find a few threads with pics. It's a sweet little bike, and crazy light.

B
Nice pics Donkey, looks like a fun riding area.

RE: Airborne - I've had a Lucky Strike for almost 6 years now, I think the seatpost and collar are the only other things original on it. Sitckers are almost gome, but the polished ti still looks immaculate. I personally like the look better than the softer Moots or Dean ti finishes. Anyway, it will be the only 26" bike I keep - it's just a bike that you can't get rid of - and not because of spending too mush $$ on it. I can't remember the price but it was well below $1k for the frame. Anyway the ti frame was actually supposed to be a Dean, but after waiting 6 months in "wait 2 more weeks" increments, I pulled the order and made a rash decision to order an Airborne. Got it a couple of days later and I am so glad that I did the change. Good for Moonbeam - that a bike that will last a long, long time.

Sorry for the thread jack.

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
How to get there?

Donkey,

I'm thinking of heading into the mountains near Running Springs after work tomorrow for some riding. Those pics of the Exploration Trail look very fun. Can you give me some ideas on how to get to the trailhead? I don't mind doing some exploring, so the directions don't need to be super detailed.

Thanks for any help.

~Reed

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reedster said:
Donkey,

I'm thinking of heading into the mountains near Running Springs after work tomorrow for some riding. Those pics of the Exploration Trail look very fun. Can you give me some ideas on how to get to the trailhead? I don't mind doing some exploring, so the directions don't need to be super detailed.

Thanks for any help.

~Reed
It's really easy to find and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Head up the mountain and drive through Running Springs towards Big Bear. Right after you leave RS start looking for Keller Peak Road on the right side(you've probably bouldered/climbed there a few times no?). Head up Keller Peak Road for a few hundred yards and look for a parking area/trailhead on your right. There will be a sign right at the trailhead that reads "Exploration Trail".

It's a fun climb....maybe 4 or 5 miles. Then turn around and sail back to the car.

Or.....you can climb Keller Peak Road all the way to where it forks...look on the right for a trailhead.....that's the top of Exploration Trail. You can make a loop out of it that way.

Have a good time out there.

B

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
Sweet!

Good to see you both enjoying a big wheeled getaway.
Can't wait to get my gal on the big wheels. She actually said that a 29er hard tail should be her next bike. "I think full suspension feels like it's made for wimps." :eek: :thumbsup: :D

Of course, when I tried to show her my "next" bike, I was corrected immediately. "Our next purchase is for me," she stated. I do believe this'll be a very good marriage, heheh.

OGG

·
Tree Hugger
286 Posts
donkey said:
It's really easy to find and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

It's a fun climb....maybe 4 or 5 miles. Then turn around and sail back to the car.

Have a good time out there.

B
Thanks for the info. I found some other threads with info about it last night after I posted this, so I was pretty sure about where to go. I am planning on riding up the trail, because that way we get to enjoy all the challenges. I've done some climbing up at Keller Peak, so I know exactly where you are talking about.

From your pictures I am sure that we will have a good time.

Thanks,

Reed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.