Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Ridden 2 of those...

I've ridden the Ape Canyon trail and part of the Mackenzie River trail while on vacation a couple years ago. Loved 'em both! We didn't have a way to shuttle Mackenzie river, and didn't have enough time to ride it out & back in its entirety. (sp?) It gives us an excuse to visit that area again some time.

Spike

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
the bottom 10-15 miles of the Mackenzie River trail is considered partial rainforest, temperate, tho certainly not to the degree you'll get on the olympic peninsula. Cedars, ferns, moss, nurse trees, rainforest certainly.

edit: I did see some of the other pics, nice. I felt like I was in a green tunnel in parts of it. Did you do the whole thing as in all 25 miles or all **50** miles??

formica

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
formica said:
the bottom 10-15 miles of the Mackenzie River trail is considered partial rainforest, temperate, tho certainly not to the degree you'll get on the olympic peninsula. Cedars, ferns, moss, nurse trees, rainforest certainly.

edit: I did see some of the other pics, nice. I felt like I was in a green tunnel in parts of it. Did you do the whole thing as in all 25 miles or all **50** miles??

formica
Good god woman, 50 miles would have killed me!

Despite the fact that we shuttled it, there was still plenty of climbing and lots of technical sections especially near the top where all the lava was.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
doing it from the top down is a great ride... personally I think you'd have to be an uber-bike god/goddess to do all 50, but I know those who have. Masochists!! I liked that it was downhill al the way but not really because of the climbs or the pedaling through the forest. Some of the folks I know also just blow off the top because they don't like the techincal parts through the lava, or go up from the bottom about 10 miles and then come back.

It's all good.

formica

·
SS Grrrrrrrl
464 Posts
formica said:
doing it from the top down is a great ride... personally I think you'd have to be an uber-bike god/goddess to do all 50, but I know those who have. Masochists!! I liked that it was downhill al the way but not really because of the climbs or the pedaling through the forest. Some of the folks I know also just blow off the top because they don't like the techincal parts through the lava, or go up from the bottom about 10 miles and then come back.

It's all good.

formica
LOL... that trail is downhill... Not! I rode there last week. What an awesome trail... as was everything else we rode in the Bend/Sisters area. It took 4+ hours to ride ~30 miles on the MRT from top to bottom. That would be a kick @ss trail for an epic SS ride - up and back down. The excellent ride was followed by a dip in the hot springs on shuttle drive back to the car.

Incredible scenery along the MRT:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.