Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was an alumni gathering this morning on the Barrel trail w/ CrashtheDog, Slim, Lycra FR, D-wang, and myself. I've got some ideas for some new stunts we plan to build in the next month or so prior to the THC. Ladder bridges and such. This first pic is of Crash and Slim on their 7-packs. When we hit the trail it is pitch dark.

Attachments

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I swapped bikes with Slim this morning for a short bit of the descent, and I gotta say that the 7 inch Roco setup feels way more plush than my 6.4 inch Push'd DHX. I highly recommend the upgrade to anyone who wants a little more out of their RFX.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
That 3rd shot in the first post El C is great, with the sun rising, sweet shots..............

·
Registered
11,693 Posts
7pack?

El Chingon said:
I swapped bikes with Slim this morning for a short bit of the descent, and I gotta say that the 7 inch Roco setup feels way more plush than my 6.4 inch Push'd DHX. I highly recommend the upgrade to anyone who wants a little more out of their RFX.
do tell..

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 7 pack requires that you get your hands on some 5-spot seat stays. Swap those over the the RFX or Pack.(In the pics, the white one is Horst, and the bronze is TNT). Then pick yourself up a longer stroke shock in the 7.875 X 2.25 size. The shorter stays of the 5-spot help your retain the original geometry, but with an inch more travel. There are several people running the 7 inch config on this board....Bikezilla, Tscheezy and others.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
El C, how close is the roco resevior coming to the downtube on the 7 packs? Are Crash and Slim using TST, or world cup shocks? Thanks.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Crash is on an 05 Pack size Large, and Slim is on an 06 RFX size large. There is a good half inch of clearance. They are both running the TST versions.

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
Thanks El C. on my large '02 frame, I can get 2.25 inches of stroke and just allmost kiss the downtube with my Roco RC. I would need to run the shock upside down if I ever went back to 7 inches of travel / 2.5 inches of shock stroke. The roco is pretty nice right out of the box. It's at Push as we speak.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
gooseberry temp?

i take it you guy's are heading out so early to beat the heat. we're going to be on the mesa the second week of sept. Following weather sites, the nearest to gooseberry is Hurricane, but it's 1500 ft. or so lower. is there a town listed on weather sites more closely related to the temps you'd actually find up there? or, do you just figure it's going to be ??
so many degrees lower than ST.George?
thanks

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We get up so early, because one of our riders still works for the man, and has to be to work by 9:00am. The temps here haven't been too bad, and come September they should be even better. You're looking at temps in the high 80's most likely out on Goose. Hit the trail by 8:00am or so, and you should have nice temps for the whole ride.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
The highs in mid-September up on Gooseberry are probably in the low to mid 90's, maybe 3-5 degrees cooler than Hurricane. It's still warm enough that I'd recommend starting as early as possible to beat the heat. There is often a breeze up on the Mesa that will cool things off a bit too.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
El Chingon said:
On the size Large frames, there is a good half inch of clearance. They are both running the TST versions.
Pretty interesting :confused:

definitely not clearance on my '07 large with the roco TST 7.785x2.25".

I'm not sure how the 7-pack set-up would change the position of the shock much as it still bolts to the frame in the same place (machined BB/pivot piece).

Seems more likely that the roco clearance problems are unique to the 2007 design, with the revised BB/pivot assembly and bent downtube. I don't think size makes a difference here as the geometry around the BB is consistent between sizes.

Sorry for the threadjack, great pics! That step-down looks super fun.

·
Epicriderat
174 Posts
Sweet pics. Is that St. George area? I'm looking forward to coming out that way(Gooseberry) again perhaps mid or late September after Interbike.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
mesa cond.

to EC & CD,

sounds like things as we hoped for. mid eighties for the ride, w/ a breeze. basically perfect.
thanks again

·
Outcast
8,589 Posts
FM said:
Yes. You should wait until PUSH can work magic on your roco, then upgrade everything at once ;)
Speaking of Pushed Roco's; I'm getting mine back tomorrow! Just in time to ride it at keystone friday! Woohoo!

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I also have zero clearance issues with the Roco TST (run right side up) on my 7-Pack. The Roco 2.25" with Spot stays on the Pack is the ultimate upgrade and like Crash makes me not lust after the 07s though I would love a set of the asym chainstays.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts