Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice ride today on the Delvera wine estate just outside Stellenbosch(S.Africa)

It's been extremely hot here the last week or two with temps in some areas hovering around the 40deg celsius mark. Several areas have reported temps in the mid 40's.

Consequently there have been numerous fires, one in particular this last week on a portion of Delvera that is home to some mighty fine ST.

Took some pics today. The trees in the pics were all felled a couple years ago. The area was still completely overgrown with thick shrubs. Not anymore! There was some minor damage to the trail, mainly in the shape of the support structures in some turns and on some slopes being burned as well as two bridges.

Fairly short trail at 17km with about 6km ST. Love this trail though!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Some great shots, hate that here has been fires. But have to say the contrast of the 5th picture looks wicked with the burnt area with the green are in the valley below. So MS, how did the shock go for you, am hoping it was better than the Manitou..... Be keen to hear...

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Puts another dimension on cleaning up the trail................LOL

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whafe my man....that thing has transformed my bike!

Pedalling performance is same as the Swinger, but small bump compliance is MUCH better! The RP3 just seems so much smoother through the whole stroke. I'm getting full travel fairly easy it seems, but haven't once felt like i was bottoming it.
One of the most noticable improvements is the rebound control. With the Swinger I could never get enough rebound to stop it from kicking my a$$ up off the saddle through big compressions and still also have the rebound quite fast how i like it. With the Fox it just seemed dialled right from the word go. It's as fast as I prefer with a much smaller tendency to kick.
On top of that it's quiet where the Swinger always made a funny squirting kind of sound.
It doesn't leak oil on the shaft AT ALL vs ALL THE TIME on the Swinger.
And the air pressure remains constant.

The way a shock should work!

I might add if anyone is wondering, that my Swinger was rebuilt 2 months ago by the agents(at a very high cost i might add) so there was (supposedly) nothing wrong with it. Also, that's exactly how it performed when i got the bike. Thought it was ok, but I was SOOOO wrong!

Whafe....again, thanks A MILLION!!! BEST Xmas prezzie i ever got. You the man!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Yeah ha, glad it worked awesome. Yep, I never had an issue with the RP3, jsut being a Wayne Kerr hence getting the bling of an RP23..... So the ML is humming in the cape, dam good to hear...................

·
Registered
897 Posts
It is just a sad and awesome sight at the same time when you see a burned down forest. There are no words to describe it. Up here in Colorado we have Buffalo Creek (IMBA epic ride). Maybe about 5 or so years ago a distraught Forest Ranger lit the place up when see burned a letter. Buf Creek is just an amazing trail system. When riding it my mind is blown to think there used to be a lush forest area. So sad.

Chris

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Chris9702l said:
It is just a sad and awesome sight at the same time when you see a burned down forest. There are no words to describe it. Up here in Colorado we have Buffalo Creek (IMBA epic ride). Maybe about 5 or so years ago a distraught Forest Ranger lit the place up when see burned a letter. Buf Creek is just an amazing trail system. When riding it my mind is blown to think there used to be a lush forest area. So sad.

Chris
Riding through a burn area is quite surreal sometimes. Here's a pic of Buffalo Creek:

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I went to Buffalo Creek this last October. I was stunned at the damage and even more stunned that the soil was so hydrophobic. It was just sad that this much long-term devastation can be done, especially by humans. The soil practically rejects water beyond the top inch of charred soil. It saddens me every time I think about it. Buff Creek is amazing to ride. It is a beautiful place.

·
Student
820 Posts
MintSauce said:
Had a nice ride today on the Delvera wine estate just outside Stellenbosch(S.Africa)

It's been extremely hot here the last week or two with temps in some areas hovering around the 40deg celsius mark. Several areas have reported temps in the mid 40's.

Consequently there have been numerous fires, one in particular this last week on a portion of Delvera that is home to some mighty fine ST.

Took some pics today. The trees in the pics were all felled a couple years ago. The area was still completely overgrown with thick shrubs. Not anymore! There was some minor damage to the trail, mainly in the shape of the support structures in some turns and on some slopes being burned as well as two bridges.

Fairly short trail at 17km with about 6km ST. Love this trail though!
When was the fire?

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was on Wednesday. Wasn't a huge fire. It's a smallish hill surrounded by vinyards and other farmland.

·
Student
820 Posts
MintSauce said:
It was on Wednesday. Wasn't a huge fire. It's a smallish hill surrounded by vinyards and other farmland.
The pics make it look rather large.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.