Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this super rare Turner 6 pack proto with a 1.5 head tube built with old cheap parts for a few years now and I decided to try to update and lighten it a bit. Turned out to weigh 31.25 and ride super plush. I'm thinking about a fox 32 150 and XO instead of the current Talas 36, X7, and maybe a lighter crank than Dabilos DH forged. Should easily be sub 30#.

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Why do you want to lighten up? to make it more efficient as a trail bike?
The Talas 36 is sweet, and you will lose some great stiffness for the 1lbs weight reduction to a Fox32. If you go there, I suggest using the 15mm instead of QR.
Also, and perhaps before, think about replacing that old shock (what is that?) with a new RP23 pro-pedal shock. That should give you a real nice efficiency boost as a trail bike.
And no-tubing the tires if you aren't doing that yet.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm weak and old

I'm not a charger or hucker and I don't do more than 2-3 ft drops, and those rarely. The main reason I own 6" bikes is to give my damaged shoulders and wrists some extra cushion , the other big reason is the slacker geometry. The reason I want to lighten the bike is so I can ride it more often with all my younger freinds riding 4" xc bikes and not have them waiting too long and me killing myself to keep up.
The rear shock is an AVA propedal which is very plush and light. The 32 Float 150 is 1.6 lbs lighter than the 36 Talas and is more plush, and with my riding style I've noticed no lack of stiffness in the 140 talas on my Spot compared to the 36 Talas on the R66.
I will be rebuilding the wheels to go lightweight with a stans setup to save even more weight.
Though the bike has 6" of travel and a very beefy 1.5 ht with the Turner logo machined into it (my avitar) it was built with Easton ultralite top and down tubes, so it's not intended for constant abuse, so I may be the perfect owner for it.
tald said:
Why do you want to lighten up? to make it more efficient as a trail bike?
The Talas 36 is sweet, and you will lose some great stiffness for the 1lbs weight reduction to a Fox32. If you go there, I suggest using the 15mm instead of QR.
Also, and perhaps before, think about replacing that old shock (what is that?) with a new RP23 pro-pedal shock. That should give you a real nice efficiency boost as a trail bike.
And no-tubing the tires if you aren't doing that yet.

·
Registered
422 Posts
food for thought: a local buddy had a talas 36 rc2 on a nomad and got a talas 32 to shave weight. He kept the 32 for about a week and put the 36 back on. His take was that when you are used to the stiffness/burliness of the 36, it's hard to run anything else - the 32 felt like a noodle in his words. I've got a 31# rfx with a 36 talas rc2 and a dhx-c. I couldn't imagine running a smaller fork on it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Must be harder on things than I am

I ran a 32 140 on it for a while and didn't have an issue with flex, that fork is on my Spot now and I'm too slow and carefull to need the burliness of the 36.
Mr Tiles said:
food for thought: a local buddy had a talas 36 rc2 on a nomad and got a talas 32 to shave weight. He kept the 32 for about a week and put the 36 back on. His take was that when you are used to the stiffness/burliness of the 36, it's hard to run anything else - the 32 felt like a noodle in his words. I've got a 31# rfx with a 36 talas rc2 and a dhx-c. I couldn't imagine running a smaller fork on it.

·
mouthbreather
31 Posts
Looks good! I liked the proportions of the 36 Talas in the original, but the 32 looks really nice too.

3-4 lbs is alot! I see the Fox 32, XT crankset, rear xo derailler, and a smaller front rotor. What else did you do?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wheels

1 1/2 lbs in the fork and the rest was in the wheels and tires. I went from Ringle singletrack wheels with 2.35 Kendas and cheap tubes to King/Stans 355s tubless with 2.4 Schwalbe nobby nicks and stans. With my riding style it's worked out pretty well other than a broken spoke at Goosberry mesa.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oops!

You're right about the tires but the wheels and tubes are heavy, in the first pic it weighs more like 32 3/4 second pic 29 3/4. I had it built with a Manitou Sherman+ and the Ringle Singletrack wheels at about 36 and every point in between the two extreams and didn't look too closely at the first pic in this old thread. I think it's as light as it's ever going to get at this point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.