Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few shots of some new fork action on my Podium and my wife's Delirium-T. She was running a 2007 66RC2X that has never been ideal for her weight, plus as smooth as it is the old Marz damping just can't keep up to the new fox stuff on steep descents etc. I also moved back to a 40 after getting a wicked deal on a new 2010. Haven't even really ridden it yet except for a hike-a-bike I did the other day. Definitely stays up in it's travel on steep stuff better than the boxxer.

Also a couple pics from our summer solstice ride we did. A big group of us did a 4 hour hike-a-bike in an undisclosed location to celebrate our excessive sunshine. We got back to the vehicles at 10:30pm with plenty of light left. Total climb was 3300ft and we topped out at 8K. Nothing like beer in the alpine and then 4km of ripping above the treeline!

Attachments

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
How does the Podium feel to pedal around? Do you find it to be something of a replacement for how you used the V-Tach? Short climbs doable or is it just too much of a DH sled? I wouldn't even ask except that the seat position looks rather friendly for short climbs to rippin DH. I'm aware that the DT and VT are the bikes more oriented around pedaling.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She hasn't even ridden the new fork yet but it feels fantastic bouncing around on it. Very similar to the feel of a typical 36 float or 40, very smooth.

The podium pedals very well on short climbs or uphill roads to get to trailheads etc. The main issue with any kind of technical pedalling is how low the bb is...pedal hit city. If you pedal very carefully you can get away with it but you will hook one eventually. I still outclimb most of my riding buddies on short uphills but I'm more of a pedaller than your average dh'er.

I actually used my v-tach exactly the same way...single ring shuttle/park bike. It was definitely a bit easier to pedal through techy stuff due to the higher bb but I find the podium just as responsive and stable when hammering.

I spent the day shuttling our local mountain today getting ready for a charity race tomorrow and I'm very happy with the fox 40. I was just never sold on the boxxer wc small bump compliance and it's ability to handle high speed chatter/braking bumps. The fox is not even in the same league for small bump and it stays up in it's travel much better on the steeps. It is definitely more linear and prone to bottoming but that's the price you pay for teh smooth suppleness.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts