Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first real bike a SC bullit. Before i had a trek xc that i didn't really take care of i just rode it. So now i have this bike what do i need to do to take care of it and keep everything running good?

It has a 5th element rear shock an i have heard there crap should i get rid of it and get a dhx or just ride it not worth the money?

Came with turbine lp cranks which i know aren't dh cranks so change them or just ride them until they break?

I'm changing it to a single chain ring and from read im thinking a 36t but i'm not sure. I will be doing everything on this bike dh, freeride, dj, and urban until i get a nice hard-tail so would 36t work good for me with a 11-32 cassette?

For a chain guide i wanted a mrp system 1, if i do go with 36t would a mini-me fit? I know the maximum is 34t but i saw a couple places where it said 36t.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
IMO the 5th E coil on a Bullit works excellently. If it needs service, Progressive will still service it, and there are other suspension places like Hippietech who service them. It's a super tuneable shock that compliments the Bullit very well.

Turbine LP cranks are surprisingly strong if they're attached to a quality BB, but if you're really a serious dropper/hucker, some heftier cranks would be adviseable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i don't really want to buy a whole book i can do all the basic stuff but is there anything thing i need to do with the rear shock and pivots, fork which is a 888 vf, hydraulic brakes, and headset? Those are the only things I'm unsure about i can do everything else.

i knew the e.13 was going to come up but i hate how they look and mrp's seem to work fine. so does anyone have chain ring recommendations and will a 36t fit in the mini me?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Rear pivot maintenance and longevity on the Bullit is about as good as it gets. There are only two bearings, one on each side, and they're captured in those pinch-bolt holders in the swingarm. You don't even have to unbolt the rear shock to replace them...stupid simple. If you don't know the age of your bearings, replace them. They're relatively cheap and easily available from a bearing shop. Just make sure you specify "full complement" bearings in the size you need...take one of your old bearings. Full complement just means that a maximum amount of balls is contained between the two races rather than the cheaper setup that has the minimum amount of balls captured in a retainer. No special tools are required for bearing replacement, but an inch-pound torque wrench is handy if you're not experienced in your own personal wrist torque wrench.:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let's See a PIC

I have a mini minime on my slalom/DJ/urban hardtail and it will only take a 34 T ring.
I like MRP, it is fairly strong and looks clean. If you plan on really bashing on rocks and tree stumps then you might look for someting stronger. Just look at their stuff 'cause they have a whole bunch of new products and sizes. Also look at the LRP, if you climb or trail ride a lot then a granny gear might come in handy, it works pretty good have a 36/22 on the VP Free and for me it is plenty of gear and with a 11-34 rear I can climb just about any trail if I have to. If your cranks are in good shape just keep 'em until they break and upgrade. Or if you're like me and can't wait, then there's alot of new cranks now with outboard bearings that are sweet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.