Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bob and I did an "everything including the kitchen sink" ride in the PMP today and one of the trails we did ended up being a sidetrack/exploring expedition.

Traveling East on the T100 between 7th and Cave Creek (marked in RED in the top pic), we did one of my favorite sidetrack trail that runs directly South of T100 just after the Pointe Tapatillo resort (marked in ORANGE in the top pic). This trail starts in the wash just after you pass the Pointe Tapatillo...climbs up a gradual hill to a saddle...then drops back down into the back side of a neighborhood. The trail then bends East/North (skirting the neighborhood), and eventually climb back up a loose wide trail the connects back into the T100.

However, this time around we saw another trail that runs uphill (marked in YELLOW in both pics) and went up that instead. It was steep...loose...and really gnarly. By the time we rode/hiked to the top, we turned around and noted that this trail would be *really* fun going downhill on capable bikes.

Has anybody ever tried this YELLOW section of trail?

BTW -- does my ORANGE route have a name/trail#? I have never known what to call it.

EDIT -- the 2nd pic is a close-up of the first. The YELLOW line is identical in both.

Thx...Doug

Attachments

·
livin' the dream......
1,967 Posts
Can't help on names/numbers of these trails, but thanks for reminding me that there is life on west of the 51 on T-100.

I have not gone more than a mile west of DD parking lot in at least 4 years! I need to venture back out to the area you've pointed out and explore some new stuff!

Not to hijack, but has anyone had issues parking at North Mountain Visitors Center with regard to vehicle break-ins?

·
Got a suspension fork
2,458 Posts
If I am remembering that section correctly, the orange line on the left is a great hill climb, loose rock everywhere and steep mofo, great stuff. Not sure about the trail numbers though, and I don't recognize that yellow trail.

·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
randyharris said:
If I am remembering that section correctly, the orange line on the left is a great hill climb, loose rock everywhere and steep mofo, great stuff. Not sure about the trail numbers though, and I don't recognize that yellow trail.
Yes, that is it - the orange line on the left is a wide trail with lots of loose rock everywhere. And it is pretty steep towards the top...but *nowhere* near as steep as the yellow trail.

The yellow trail breaks off to the left before you start the climb on the orange line. It's pretty obvious (I've noticed it dozens of times) but not necessarily "well traveled". But it's a really cool trail -- climbs up through a canyon with some decent exposure and then gets ridiculously steep towards the top.

Thx....Doug

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I know what you are talking about, I've seen the yellow trail but haven't gone exploring on it yet. The orange trail is fun to descend into the neighborhood.

I don't think either of them are named, or at least I didn't see any sign posts.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Hey Doug,

I've been calling that loop the Tapallio Loop and have been up that yellow trail, I like doing the Tapallio Loop in a clockwise direction, which will gives you fun gnary DH. It's been years since I have been down the yellow trail. As you said its loose MoFo. You can access it from TR100 at the top of the climb before dropping down either side. IT's a steep climb and mostly ridaable if I remember right. See my MAP

dgangi said:
Bob and I did an "everything including the kitchen sink" ride in the PMP today and one of the trails we did ended up being a sidetrack/exploring expedition.

Traveling East on the T100 between 7th and Cave Creek (marked in RED in the top pic), we did one of my favorite sidetrack trail that runs directly South of T100 just after the Pointe Tapatillo resort (marked in ORANGE in the top pic). This trail starts in the wash just after you pass the Pointe Tapatillo...climbs up a gradual hill to a saddle...then drops back down into the back side of a neighborhood. The trail then bends East/North (skirting the neighborhood), and eventually climb back up a loose wide trail the connects back into the T100.

However, this time around we saw another trail that runs uphill (marked in YELLOW in both pics) and went up that instead. It was steep...loose...and really gnarly. By the time we rode/hiked to the top, we turned around and noted that this trail would be *really* fun going downhill on capable bikes.

Has anybody ever tried this YELLOW section of trail?

BTW -- does my ORANGE route have a name/trail#? I have never known what to call it.

EDIT -- the 2nd pic is a close-up of the first. The YELLOW line is identical in both.

Thx...Doug

·
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Epicrider said:
Hey Doug,

I've been calling that loop the Tapallio Loop and have been up that yellow trail, I like doing the Tapallio Loop in a clockwise direction, which will gives you fun gnary DH. It's been years since I have been down the yellow trail. As you said its loose MoFo. You can access it from TR100 at the top of the climb before dropping down either side. IT's a steep climb and mostly ridaable if I remember right. See my MAP
Thanks Dale. I've only done your "Tapatillo Loop" counter-clockwise. Zort showed me this a few months ago and that's the way we rode it, and I've continued doing it the same way. I will have to give it a try clockwise next time.

And as far as accessing that yellow trail, you are correct...you can access it at the top of the T100 climb before dropping down either side. In fact, we do that short/steep climb quite often, but as soon as we get to the top of that steep little hill, I always did a hard right and dropped immediately back to T100 (it's wide and well traveled). I never went left because it didn't look like much of a trail. Well now that I've hiked up it, I see that it has a lot of potential.

Thx...Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.