Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of who are using Dakine Nomad packs...

I'm thinking of buying a Dakine Nomad hydration pack, and I have some questions on this item.

(1) Just by looking at some online pic's visually, Nomad (1100 cu. in. cargo) somehow *looks* to me more like the Camelbak-MULE size (540 cu. in. cargo), but the online spec's say it's rather closer to Camlebak-HAWG size (916 cu. in. cargo). (And Apex is noted as 1600 cu. in cargo.) Is this true in actual use, or is Nomad spec counting in the outside helmet carry cover/net space as a part of its "1100 cu. in. cargo" spec?

(2) How do I tell the difference (feature-wise, not color) between ~'05 model vs '06~ model, when I pick one up?

(3) What are all the zippers visible in this pic's for? Is one of them (the biggest one, at the top) for the bladder, or is that also for additional storage? If so, where/how does the bladder go in?

I see the tool pocket here. And I'm guessing that the 2nd-from-the-top is the small sunglasses pocket?

(4) In the bladder pocket, are there hooks & loops to keep the bladder up-right inside? I ask this because the pic of Dakine bladder has 2 holes on the top corners, and I'm also wondering about possibly using a Camelbak bladder with the Nomad pack.

(5) How many external straps are there for these different configurations; 2 separate interchangeable sets, or 4 separate individually-designated sets?

Thanks for your info in advance,
- PiroChu

·
Registered
227 Posts
I like the nomad a lot. go with the 06, updated in many ways including a much better bladder and internal storage.I can fit arm pads, pump, tube, patch kit, first aid, food, vest, phone, and a full bladder inside the pack and leg pads and helmet on the outside( like photo #8) and it is still very comfortable. apex I think is overkill.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
'06 Dakine Nomad - review #1 (spec/feature inspection)

So, my '06 Dakine Nomad hydration pack ($75 from Performance) arrived yesterday, and I figured I'd share some thoughts/comments here, in case anyone else is interested in / in the market for one. This 1st review is just by checking out the pack's features at home (not by using it out there in the woods yet). Some comments here are in comparison to Camelbak MULE, just because that's what I've had.

#1: ~'05 model vs '06~ model differences
(since there are many retailers still selling ~'05 ones at a discount)

(1-A) The inside layout of the organizer/tool compartment has changed.
This online reveiew quoted below must've been for the ~'05 model (with straight-zipper mesh), not for '06 model (with D-shaped-zipper mesh x2).

https://mountainbike.about.com/od/accessoriesessentials/gr/DK_nomad.htm
The only thing we didn't like about the pack is that one of the smaller organization pockets in the main compartment zips up from the bottom. This may seem insignificant but if you have anything small inside that pocket, It can fall out when it gets unzipped.

(1-B) The location of the lower external gear straps has changed.
On the ~'05 model, the lower straps were positioned on the sides of the pack, parallel to the upper straps, and its front panel had 2 sets of buckles (top & bottom), so that you were able to strap the leg armors in a couple of different ways... :thumbsup:

On the other hand, the '06~ model's lower straps are now positioned on the underside of the pack, and its front panel only has 1 set of buckles (top), so that you can strap the leg armors in a bottom-mounting way...

#2: '06 features & comments

(2-1) a new mini-side pocket
Though not shown in the '06-model pic on Dakine website, the actual '06~ model now comes with a convenient mini zipper pocket on the right-bottom corner (as pic below). :thumbsup: I'm thinking of stashin' some Cliff Bar's & GU's in there. The zipper is closed at the top position (which I think could've been better spec'ed as the-other-way-around?).

(2-2) external gear straps
The external strap feature works really well - just as pictured online - to strap armors, XC helmet, and full-face helmet. :thumbsup: The strap length is long enough to do just that quite well, although that may (or may not) seem a bit long (flapping around?) when nothing is strapped.

(2-3) shoulder & waist straps
The fit/cushion/comfort of those straps are quite nice (much more substantial than my Camelbak MULE's starps), allowing to carry more loads with ease. :thumbsup: The waist straps are Velcro'ed (tucked inside) to be used or taken off. (I've also seen an online pic of this feature using a zipper instead of Velcro, so maybe the zipper version was for ~'05 model?) Also, it spec's generous length for shoulder & waist straps. However, unlike my Camelbak MULE, it doesn't come with a 'self-roll' Velcro feature (to tuck/roll away the unused length). I'm a skinny guy, so I need to tuck away quite a bit of unused length neatly by using these lil' gizmo's (1" for shoulder straps, 1.5" for waist straps; from any camping store, etc). No biggies at all, because I often do this for custom-fit with many of my backpacks, etc., anyway.

https://www.rei.com/product/3085.htm
https://www.rei.com/product/3086.htm

(2-4) main/bladder compartment
Unlike Camelbak, Dakine's main compartment is for both bladder (mesh to hold bladder in place) and other stuff (jacket/clothes, etc). Ideally, I like the bladder to have its own compartment, so I was a bit surprised/disappointed to see this. :skep: I don't want my rain jacket or an extra clothes/T-shirt to get wet (from water condensation, with ice cubes in bladder), or I don't want things like foldable hand saw to possibly damage the bladder. I'll have to see how this works out in actuality, out there in the woods...

(2-5) organizer/tool compartment
The tool compartment is well-organized and is of a generous size for most needs. :thumbsup: As in the pic below, I put the pump & tube on the inside-facing side, and all tools in one D-shaped double-zipper mesh on the lid-side, and all medical stuff & keys in the other D-shaped double-zipper mesh on the lid-side. Looks like I can fit even more stuff in this compartment, if I needed to.

(2-6) bladder-tube hole
The hole for the tube has a sticky rubber flap to grap/hold the tube in place, so that the tube won't keep coming out longer & longer throughout the ride (unlike how my Camelbak MULE annoyingly does). :thumbsup:

(2-6) bladder-tube guide on the shoulder strap
The mesh tunnel on the shoulder strap to put through the tube (mouth piece) is such a pain. I really had to struggle to get it through & take it out. :eek: Just a plastic D-ring attached on the shoulder strap as a tube guide might've been simple/sufficient (like how my Camelbak MULE is).

Initially, I'm thinking of using my current MULE's 100oz bladder in Nomad, because I'm assuming that a bladder is a bladder is a bladder. If I find any fit issue, etc., I'll break out the Nomad's bladder and test it out for a report.

I will later post another review ('06 Dakine Nomad - review #2 (out in the woods)) after this weekend.

Cheers,
- PiroChu

PS.
I'll take/post some pictures of my own later, too.

Attachments

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,659 Posts
Good info, thanks. Dang I wish I had a bag that could carry a full-face without it flopping around or falling off...:rolleyes:

JMH

·
Back in Scotland
157 Posts
Ive got the 05

& it rocks! 1000 times better than my MULE!

Dakine make some of the best products on the market whether its skiing, boarding, surfing etc that you're into.

K

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
JMH said:
Good info, thanks. Dang I wish I had a bag that could carry a full-face without it flopping around or falling off...:rolleyes:

JMH
Cut some straps/buckels off a shopping cart. (The ones that are like seat belts for kids) Get some material from somewhere, old dickies, jeans, canvas, ect... Cut and stitch to current camel back... your set. Just copy Dakines strap system.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Nomad pack rules. Putting your pads and fullface on your back for long climbs is sooo nice.

·
Cheesiest
1,612 Posts
I just ordered the Apex to add to my collection of Dakine packs. I've used there stuff for about 5 years for skiing and it works great. Their products are well thought out and very purpose specific. Plus they look good:thumbsup:

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
I just got an '06 and it is better designed than the '05. The pockets are organized better. and the bladder is in a seperat pouch like a Camelback. It does have lots of storage, I can put all of my necessities plus a MULE in the Nomad. They did away with some useless features and improved most others. It is now my everyday ride pack.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
Make sure the buckles on it are heavy duty...I went through 2 sternum straps on my CamelBak.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
bladder in a seperat pouch ?

coldsteele said:
I just got an '06 and it is better designed than the '05. The pockets are organized better. and the bladder is in a seperat pouch like a Camelback.

Hi coldsteele,

When I bought mine, I double-checked first to make sure that it's an '06, yet mine doesn't have a separate bladder-only designated pouch as you described above. I wonder if there are two models of '06-early / '06-later out there...!? :skep:

With yours, where is the opening for the bladder pouch located? (ie. At the top of the back-panel, as in Camelback-fasion?) Anyway, mine is in a big (biggest) zipper'ed compartment (pic below), and that holds extra stuff to carry as well as the bladder itself, which goes into the thin mesh within this big compartment.

Thanks for the info,
- PiroChu

Attachments

·
Custom User Title
1,282 Posts
PiroChu said:
Hi coldsteele,

When I bought mine, I double-checked first to make sure that it's an '06, yet mine doesn't have a separate bladder-only designated pouch as you described above. I wonder if there are two models of '06-early / '06-later out there...!? :skep:

With yours, where is the opening for the bladder pouch located? (ie. At the top of the back-panel, as in Camelback-fasion?) Anyway, mine is in a big (biggest) zipper'ed compartment (pic below), and that holds extra stuff to carry as well as the bladder itself, which goes into the thin mesh within this big compartment.

Thanks for the info,
- PiroChu
Maybe there are two different models for '06. Here are lousy picts of mine. It is only two weeks old.

Attachments

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
coldsteele said:
Maybe there are two different models for '06. Here are lousy picts of mine. It is only two weeks old.

Thanks for posting your pic's. Aaaah, that looks totally different (& much nicer). I'm going to return mine back. Could you tell me where you got yours?

Thanks again,
- PiroChu

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
coldsteele said:
It was gratis from Andrew Shandro when I was at Whistler the week before last.
I see... Then, maybe yours is the (early-) '07 model, I wonder? I mean, Dakine's website doesn't even show yours yet. I maybe have to contact them & ask...

Thanks again,
- PiroChu

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Called Dakine a couple of times, but the folks I spoke with didn't seem to know anything about the "new" Nomad pack like your above-posted pic.

I've already returned the '06 Nomad pack that I just bought anyway, so I guess it'll just be a (long?) "waiting game" for me...

·
Registered
235 Posts
mines good, its an 06 and it can sometimes get uncomfortable in the back pads when im on long rides, my shirt get bunched up in it the "vents" and the pads arent as comfortable as the Havoks. I dont realy think that the vents do anything besides giving a space for my spine

other wise its great, in the back (bladder) pocket i can put my fully filled bladder (which is awsum and ingeniously designed), 661 4x2 arm pads, a tiny wrapped up rain resistant jacket, a heavy duty DH tube, a gatorade all star bottle, and a mini dv camcorder

when my helmet is strapped on, it is ultra secure and doesnt feel like i have a full face helmet strapped on my back (besides from the weight). it doesnt jiggle either

the bottom straps for my armor always get lose and never stay tight but the pads never fall out

by the way, that "special" "07" dakine nomad pack up there is actualy just a special edition one by SGC and is an 06

overall i love this pack

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
'07 info

Hi all,

After a couple of email exchanges, I finally got this info, as below, just FYI...

The pack you saw in the forum is a S07 model. We made it for Shandro's Summer Gravity Camps up in Whistler. The new design is not available until January/February 07. The separate bladder compartment is a new edition for 07.
I'll be picking one up when the '07 comes out. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
- PiroChu

·
Master Of Fooliganism
483 Posts
That's a 2007 Spring pack.

coldsteele said:
Just saw it in the dealer catalog. Not to be released till February I think. Lots of use of digital camouflauge and some nice OD colours as well. Separate pouch for the bladder.

Oni.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts