Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my near-new X-7 9-speed shifters in the mail that I won on ebay. Since it was a take-off from a new bike, the set does not come with a manual. Okay, first things first, I am a bit surprised by the size and weight of these shifters. I don't mind so much the weight as the size--they seem a bit bulky compared to my Shimano Deore LX thumb shifters. I just didn't expect them to be this big and bulky! The bottom of them is stamped some code and "2004." What year did the shifter change style? In my little research, all the model years look alike. Is the 2004 a 2005 model? I was sort of hoping that it would at least be a 2005.

The shifters came with cables attached, but I plan to switch them out for some teflon-coated cables. Do I simply unscrew the three bolts? Anything I need to watch out for so I won't have any surprises? Thanks!

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
I have a set of x7 shifters right here. They say 2004 on the bottom... that is the year. The bike is a 2004. I also have a set of x9 shifters right here. They say 2006 on the back... and they are off a 2006 bike. I also have a set of x0 right here. They are also date stamped. All of the stamped dates include the month as well as the actual day I believe.

Do NOT unscrew the "3-bolts". Look on the bar's end side of the shifter mech. Where the mount of the shifter meets the pod/mechanism there is a screw. It is in the "Vee" so to speak of the two levers throw. You will see it. Big... inset a bit... plastic. That is the cable access hole.

Good luck with the new shifters. SRAM stuff is good stuff.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
29Colossus said:
I have a set of x7 shifters right here. They say 2004 on the bottom... that is the year. The bike is a 2004. I also have a set of x9 shifters right here. They say 2006 on the back... and they are off a 2006 bike. I also have a set of x0 right here. They are also date stamped. All of the stamped dates include the month as well as the actual day I believe.

Do NOT unscrew the "3-bolts". Look on the bar's end side of the shifter mech. Where the mount of the shifter meets the pod/mechanism there is a screw. It is in the "Vee" so to speak of the two levers throw. You will see it. Big... inset a bit... plastic. That is the cable access hole.

Good luck with the new shifters. SRAM stuff is good stuff.
there IS a small plug for cable access as described -- try it, and good luck. I wound up having to pull the 3 screws (DO SO CAREFULLY, FOR GOD'S SAKE!) -- do it like it's surgery (because it IS), and you'll be OK. Otherwise, the X.7 shifters are AWESOME. My new ride is rolling X.9, and they're supposed to have the new "zero loss travel" design; listen, X.7 can be accurately described as damned little loss travel! Be sure to match derailleurs -- 1-1 cable pull; Shim does 2-1, won't translate.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sometimes 2006 shifters can have a stamped date of 2005. It depends, some bikes are not released untill the beginning or very end of a year (ie 2007 bikes released in Nov-Jan) so obviously those bikes will have '07 components on them which were actually made in '06. I purchased my '06 Trance in April '06 and the sram x7 shifter has 19sept05 stamped on it.

Sorry I can't help you with the difference, I know sometimes the only difference would seem to be the colour (ie silver instead of black or vice versa).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.