Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some consultation. I have specialized rock hopper 29 2015-2016 and I have installed ROCK SHOX Judy Silver Tk with 100mm suspension.
I fully repair my fork/ to remove dirt and make some clean. So, I removed one detail from air spring, which called TOP OUT BUMPER in manual. So my fork get some 35mm of suspension, now its is 135mm, 120 with my weight on bike,
So I need to understand, that can I make some damage to my fork.
I made it yesterday and go test it. So it feels really nice at trails. It pump 90-100 psi, as in manual. I ride about 50-60km
and its was pretty cool. But I have some cary about it. Probably I can damage and destroy I fork, or not.

Its is normal that I removed top out bumper instead (40mm) of travel bumper (20mm)

Thathx for the future answers. have a good day guys

Attachments

·
Registered
9,655 Posts
Top out bumper is used to cushion the suspension mechanics on full extension (top out). I don't understand your reasoning to re-engineer the original design. You now have less bushing overlap and the potential for harsh suspension top out provided you ride off road.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You're not doing much other than messing with the negative air chamber. When fully extended, these extra 35mm won't be very useful, as the pressure on the negative chamber will be too high to support your weight, and the fork will quickly compress back to where it should be. You'll only see this extra travel when you lift your bike off the ground.

·
Premium Member
8,731 Posts
You are extending the fork past its design limits, past where the overlap on the bushings is designed to support the fork. The damper is also likely not designed to extend that far and you may be relying on the damper now to control top out which will destroy it over time. It is possible you will never have a problem, it is also possible 1) the fork legs could snap on you mid ride, or 2) the legs come off when lifting the front end as the damper is not designed to control top out, either of which could cause serious injury.

As a general rule, it is not a good idea to modify a product without understanding why it was designed a particular way in the first place and understanding the negative effects the modification may have. I would strongly encourage you to replace the top out bumper. If you want a longer travel fork, purchase one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.