Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am planning on doing my first bike packing trip (probably 2 nights) this fall with a friend and I am trying to figure out gear without spending a massive amount of money.

I was going to DIY a half frame bag to fit my Ragley Big Wig and use Viola straps to hold a Revelate Salty Roll to the bars. I guess that would leave me needing a seat bag and I am not really sure where I want to go with that. I was tempted to see if I can find someone locally to borrow one from or find one used. Has anyone used the Porcelain Rocket Classic seatbag? The frame only has one bottle cage but I got a Fidlock universal mount to hang off the downtube and I am going to carrying my Osprey dual bottle hip pack.

As far as gear, I have a nice (at least when I got it in 2005) backpacking sleeping bag. I am probably borrowing a hammock setup from the guy I am going with (trying out hammock camping this weekend) and he has a cooking kit and water purification setup that we are going to use.

Been looking through this for ideas. https://bikepacking.com/bikepacking-101/

What gear am I not thinking about that I will need?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
684 Posts
A Sawyer is great as long as your water is not downstream from humans. It will not filter out viruses. I use Aqua-Mira tablets if water is really questionable.

I do a lot of my own DIY gear and I have yet to buy a frame or handlebar bag. For my singnle bikes, I use a Rogue Panda Picketpost; however, I did look at Porcelain Rocket seat bags in the past.

A dry bag can easily be strapped to the front bars.

My frame bags always fill the triangle so I will use CatEye bottle holders and tywrap them to my front forks with some road bike innertube material under them. This is what "Steve" looked like on the Tour Divide back in 2016.

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
331 Posts
How are you packing in your meals and what's to eat?

I just spent 11 days back-packing eating Mountain House and bird food :) MtHouse ain't terrible if you bring some spices and Chulula hot sauce.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How are you packing in your meals and what's to eat?

I just spent 11 days back-packing eating Mountain House and bird food :) MtHouse ain't terrible if you bring some spices and Chulula hot sauce.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Not 100% sure yet. Might do Mountain House or something similar depending on where we go. I figured pack it in the frame bag.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Not 100% sure yet. Might do Mountain House or something similar depending on where we go. I figured pack it in the frame bag.
I suggest experimenting at home with whatever meals you intend to eat.
Higher quality Alternatives to Mtn House include Heather's Choice, Pack It Gourmet and Next Mile Meals. Alpine Aire has a few meals that I find really good and others that are terrible. Mtn House tends to lack relevant macros for an athlete and is particularly lacking in fat, as most freeze dried meals are. Dehydrated meals can contain much higher fat levels though the shelf life is shorter. Some people get terrible gas from most any particular brand, so it's wise to get it dialed in ahead of time.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
A dry bag can easily be strapped to the front bars.
This would be my suggestion starting off. I've used an OR compression sack strapped to the bars for many years. Works pretty well provided your cables have some extra play.

You can also get a small sack and strap to the seat rails rather than a seat bag. If you can borrow that will work too, no need to purchase until you know you'll use them lots.

A backpack would obviously hold more for you, and might be necessary without seat bag. Yeah I know some people don't like them but if you have "x" amount of stuff it all has to go somewhere, and you will have some tradeoffs starting off if you don't have a full set of bags.

Another suggestion is to start off with a single over night rather than longer trip. You don't have to do a big ride as a shakedown. It will be obvious pretty soon if you need to change things up. Better to realize that when you're not committed to a full weekend.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suggest experimenting at home with whatever meals you intend to eat.
Higher quality Alternatives to Mtn House include Heather's Choice, Pack It Gourmet and Next Mile Meals. Alpine Aire has a few meals that I find really good and others that are terrible. Mtn House tends to lack relevant macros for an athlete and is particularly lacking in fat, as most freeze dried meals are. Dehydrated meals can contain much higher fat levels though the shelf life is shorter. Some people get terrible gas from most any particular brand, so it's wise to get it dialed in ahead of time.
That is a great tip. Thanks.

This would be my suggestion starting off. I've used an OR compression sack strapped to the bars for many years. Works pretty well provided your cables have some extra play.

You can also get a small sack and strap to the seat rails rather than a seat bag. If you can borrow that will work too, no need to purchase until you know you'll use them lots.

A backpack would obviously hold more for you, and might be necessary without seat bag. Yeah I know some people don't like them but if you have "x" amount of stuff it all has to go somewhere, and you will have some tradeoffs starting off if you don't have a full set of bags.

Another suggestion is to start off with a single over night rather than longer trip. You don't have to do a big ride as a shakedown. It will be obvious pretty soon if you need to change things up. Better to realize that when you're not committed to a full weekend.
I am planning on doing a dry bag of some sort strapped to my bars for my first one. My only thing with a backpack is I don't have one beyond a very small one which is not much larger then my hip pack (or some not really suitable for bike riding distance) so it will be more expensive or the same to getting a seat bag. I may go with the strapping of a dry bag to the seatpost. I saw that idea elsewhere as well.

That is a fair point on the overnight versus 2 night trip. I used to backpack a decent amount in high school and enjoyed it but once I hit college stuff some equipment got damaged and other interest got in the way of me ever replacing it. Obviously I love biking so I figure there is a very high chance I will enjoy bikepacking.

Also to the other posters, I am not a coffee drinker. I was planning on packing some tea though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.