Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a great ride today at Puslinch. I also was abel to try out a 29,r Built by True north Cycles in Waterloo. Hand Built and a true ripping machine with Carbon pace ridgid fork. I am amazed how lite and fast this single speed ran! I think a new arsonal is in order for my home. THANKS HUGH I WILL HAVE THE BIKE BACK SOON I THINK! OR LATER!:thumbsup: P.S. Puslinch was great conditions today. Eric If you read this thread let me know you will need to try this Bike out !!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
There you go Lopez riding while we all are at work.:thumbsup:

I was just reading up on 29's last night to kill some time, more specifically Niner bikes in the SS.

How was response as I have heard they are heavy and slow to react initially until up to speed?

Is that a GF you were riding?

See ya Sat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmto said:
There you go Lopez riding while we all are at work.:thumbsup:

I was just reading up on 29's last night to kill some time, more specifically Niner bikes in the SS.

How was response as I have heard they are heavy and slow to react initially until up to speed?

Is that a GF you were riding?

See ya Sat.
It is a Hand built True North cycle and as light as a feather, It felt very responsive with speed and once u turn the cranks is all that matters. I will admit it was a hole ton bumpier that my full suspension but that adds to the real feel of the ride. Climbing I found my self always off the saddle and quite enjoyed it. CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup:
 

·
Bored
Joined
·
1,982 Posts
hmto said:
How was response as I have heard they are heavy and slow to react initially until up to speed?
.
I wouldn't worry about that. One of the things you must consider, is that you don't ride a 29'er like a 26" bike. You dont need to ditch as much speed going into corners, so you don't need to accelerate as much. Takes a while to get used to going into corners with that much speed. If you ever need to test one, get in touch with Nogearsheer. He may have a demo for you to try. Or, let me know, and with enough collateral, I'll let you test ride my bike.

btw.. Hugh does some beautiful work. You won't regret his bikes.. my prediction... all other bikes fall to the back of the closet. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
re: true north 29er

Lopez, could you post a few pics of the chainstay/seatstay/and bb area of the true north 29er?, looks like Hugh is using A frame stays on his bikes which is alright, none of that s bend(weaker) stuff, just interested in the frame in relation to the chainring clearance/tire clearance, ie, is the frame "crimped" or pressed in in those areas?

The choices for 29ers are better now fo sure!!


Regards
Verndogg
lopez test pilot said:
a couple more:thumbsup:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
Wow man, that True North is one sexy beast.... I'm drooling on my keyboard ;)

Whats your schedule like on Thursday Lopez? I'm going to be off and the weather is suppose to be good, thinking of going for a ride. Let me know if your intersted in hooking up for a ride. I'm dying to get out there now, I just finished ( like 20 min ago) re-building my bike with some flashy new gear - Avid Juicy Five brakes, Sram 990 cassette, XTR!!!!, whipperman chain, new rings - shes ready to ride, better than new.

Peace

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vernon VernDog said:
Lopez, could you post a few pics of the chainstay/seatstay/and bb area of the true north 29er?, looks like Hugh is using A frame stays on his bikes which is alright, none of that s bend(weaker) stuff, just interested in the frame in relation to the chainring clearance/tire clearance, ie, is the frame "crimped" or pressed in in those areas?

The choices for 29ers are better now fo sure!!


Regards
Verndogg
Here are some pics, I did not clean the bike from previous ride and all build questions should be asked of Hugh [email protected] :thumbsup: CHEERS LOPEZ
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lopez test pilot said:
Here are some pics, I did not clean the bike from previous ride and all build questions should be asked of Hugh [email protected] :thumbsup: CHEERS LOPEZ
more CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RatchAttack said:
Wow man, that True North is one sexy beast.... I'm drooling on my keyboard ;)

Whats your schedule like on Thursday Lopez? I'm going to be off and the weather is suppose to be good, thinking of going for a ride. Let me know if your intersted in hooking up for a ride. I'm dying to get out there now, I just finished ( like 20 min ago) re-building my bike with some flashy new gear - Avid Juicy Five brakes, Sram 990 cassette, XTR!!!!, whipperman chain, new rings - shes ready to ride, better than new.

Peace

Eric
Eric I work at 3:00pm but if we can swing a ride before that I am in let me know. CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
lopez test pilot said:
Eric I work at 3:00pm but if we can swing a ride before that I am in let me know. CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup:
I'm good for a ride man, I'm off on Thursday so its no problem for me, just decide on a time and I'll be there...... what trail do you wanna hit?

Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Re: pics

Hey Lopez,

Thanx for pics, Hugh's bikes looks similiar to my spottie 29er, The main thing is frame geometry, look at Hugh's frame and my spot 29er, (both done right) compare it to the fisher and niner 29er frame, way to much slope in the top tube, with very little seattube, not good for tall people at all..Might have to take a drive down to k/w to look at hugh's work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Verndog, Just checked out your web site for timken, I am a tool and die maker, are you incorperating any timken products into cycling and do you carry ceramic bearings. Read in bike mag how ceramic has the lowest friction rating and many pro,s are making the switch. Looks qiute costly. May need to apply for employment at Timken as my company seems to be hanging on edge!! CHEERS LOPEZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
re:Timken Canada LP

We manufacture "tapered" roller bearings for automotive and freight market.
Also we are working "peanut part numbers" Less than 1" OD on some of the cups and 0.315" ID on the cones (about the diameter of a pencil), I thought about somehow incorporating a tapered bearing into a front hub or bb set, just weight issue is one thing, will outlast conventional angular contact bearings, I remember mavic having a headset with a roller bearing in the lower cup, however, the rollers were not tapered, big difference..

Myself, I set up and operate face and centerless OD grinders, working within 0 to -.00005 range, summer time (expansion and shrinkage) are a treat to deal with.

Not sure about the employment scene, we're a little slow compared to last year, Heavy truck and automotive market slow right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
re:Timken Canada LP

We manufacture "tapered" roller bearings for automotive and freight market.
Also we are working "peanut part numbers" Less than 1" OD on some of the cups and 0.315" ID on the cones (about the diameter of a pencil), I thought about somehow incorporating a tapered bearing into a front hub or bb set, just weight issue is one thing, will outlast conventional angular contact bearings, I remember mavic having a headset with a roller bearing in the lower cup, however, the rollers were not tapered, big difference..

Myself, I set up and operate face and centerless OD grinders, working within 0 to -.00005 range, summer time (expansion and shrinkage) are a treat to deal with.

Not sure about the employment scene, we're a little slow compared to last year, Heavy truck and automotive market slow right now

Thought the KW area is booming/alright with the toyoya plant being built.
 

Attachments

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
Vernon VernDog said:
We manufacture "tapered" roller bearings for automotive and freight market.
Also we are working "peanut part numbers" Less than 1" OD on some of the cups and 0.315" ID on the cones (about the diameter of a pencil), I thought about somehow incorporating a tapered bearing into a front hub or bb set, just weight issue is one thing, will outlast conventional angular contact bearings, I remember mavic having a headset with a roller bearing in the lower cup, however, the rollers were not tapered, big difference..

Myself, I set up and operate face and centerless OD grinders, working within 0 to -.00005 range, summer time (expansion and shrinkage) are a treat to deal with.

Not sure about the employment scene, we're a little slow compared to last year, Heavy truck and automotive market slow right now

Thought the KW area is booming/alright with the toyoya plant being built.

Those bearings look very familiar ;)
I'm a Truck & Trailer Mechanic for Bruce R. Smith Transport LTD and we use Timken bearings for all our hubs. The service life on those bearings is quite incredible ... A1 product for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry Eric, had to deal with a friend today who needed help. No ride but I sugest you take a health day off work Saturday and come out and play. CHEERS LOPEZ
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
lopez test pilot said:
Sorry Eric, had to deal with a friend today who needed help. No ride but I sugest you take a health day off work Saturday and come out and play. CHEERS LOPEZ
I'd love to man, but things aren't looking good for sat., I'm taking friday off to write my C of Q exam in Hamilton....so Saturday I gotta be there. Sorry man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RatchAttack said:
I'd love to man, but things aren't looking good for sat., I'm taking friday off to write my C of Q exam in Hamilton....so Saturday I gotta be there. Sorry man.
No worrys, good luck with the Cof Q exam. I remember writing mine years ago and the wieght of the world falling off my shoulders when I passed. Things only get better. I can visually see you riding that new 29,r real soon. I am also going to Moab with you I just have to convince my wife it,s Gods plan for me! CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup: P.S. have you picked up the November issue of BIKE mag picture of Fruita on page 20 and great article on Moab page 66. OVER AND OUT:band: :band:
 

Attachments

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,015 Posts
lopez test pilot said:
No worrys, good luck with the Cof Q exam. I remember writing mine years ago and the wieght of the world falling off my shoulders when I passed. Things only get better. I can visually see you riding that new 29,r real soon. I am also going to Moab with you I just have to convince my wife it,s Gods plan for me! CHEERS LOPEZ:thumbsup: P.S. have you picked up the November issue of BIKE mag picture of Fruita on page 20 and great article on Moab page 66. OVER AND OUT:band: :band:
lol, yeah man the more the merrier on the Moab / Fruita trip..... I was having the crazy idea of driving there..... I know...I'm nuts

The C of Q went well, should pass no problem but I won't know for sure until next week :(

I'll have to pick up that issue of BIKE, looks like some nice shots, the Moab article should be a good read as well.

have fun on the Kelso ride...take some pics and post them up, that way I won't feel totally left out ;)

peace
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top