Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting back to trail riding after years on the road. Decided to work on mountain biking to gain strength. I've got the endurance. But lack the explosive strength to climb long hills, fast.

So after some initial searching and learning on the trails, I'm intrigued by the single pivot bikes like the Superlight, Heckler and the Cannondale Rush. The Rush appears to be the more direct competitor to the Superlight but the Prophet is no longer available.

I'm thinking of hanging onto my 12y/o hardtail and just slowly evolving it to be more trail worthy to sharpen my technical skills as well as just ride with less regular trail riders. But would like to pick up an FS bike to deal with faster trails in the dryer months as well as to do some epic rides in the mountain ranges.

I'm 5'-7" and 165#s.

Most of the local trails are tight, technical single track with lots of elevation changes. Fallen trees, root sections and some rock gardens are the norm. It's typically wet.

Looking for more of an agile bike that handles well, can climb, but just give me some cush to pick up the pace a bit and relax a touch for the longer rides.

There are some good deals on both '08 bikes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I really like my 03 heckler, here in the front range of colorado its very rocky and it helps to have a lot of travel just to smooth things out. Its no race bike with coil springs front and rear - but I prefer it over my 4 in travel bike, especially if I'm not trying to keep up with anyone. The geometry just feels dialed for the kind of riding I do, which is technical trail riding.

I can't say much as far as the cannondale goes. Personally I'd keep away from the proprietary front hub you get with the lefty fork - going with a conventional front hub (with adapters for 15-20mm through axles) is more versatile if you want to keep your wheels a while.

For any single pivot bike like the heckler you are depending on the shock to keep the bob out of your ride, especially with longer travel bikes. So a rear shock with platform damping, like the rp23, is essential in my book.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've got an 07 and I run about 5'8" 185lbs and I ride the front range of CO as well and I like my Heckler alot there and I ride for fun so I don't mind being the slow guy on the trail :D I do wish I would have gotten the DHX Coil with my bike, I have the RP23 and its a good shock I just think I might have more fun with the coil.

As for the pros of the Heckler, SC really seems to help out consumers and back their product up with great customer service, I see post all the time about how SC replace an out of warranty frame at a fraction of the cost of a new one in cases where it was not an even exchange. The single pivot is very reliable and the Heckler holds up to a good amount of punishment.

As for cons, sometimes it seems to take weeks-months to for some people to get their bikes becasue of back orders.

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
1,110 Posts
I beleive a nice light air sprung Heckler would fit your needs. Your description of needs is exactly what I was shooting for when I built up this 04 Heckler. This built is around 27 lbs.

If you go with the new frame you can get it built up pretty light, but not to fragile if the going get rough and you want to air it out.

I agree with keith13, if you can deal with the extra weight, the DHXC is the shock of choice for plushness and perfrmance. I'm expecting my Pushed Float to work very well though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I concur with the Heckler opinions, especially about the shock playing a huge part. Once I dialed in my 5th element,which I still have, it make a huge difference. My Heckler is going strong on 6yrs.

Not my intent to hijack the thread, but Spicoli, where did you get spacers for your float to put on the Heckler? The spacers on the 5th Element are different, I haven't contacted Fox or Santa Cruz yet, I got my float in the mail the other day.

To the op, go with the Heckler with a dialed shock , you won't regret it!
https://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/senman20002000/122108006-1.jpg

·
1,110 Posts
Bosco20002000 said:
Not my intent to hijack the thread, but Spicoli, where did you get spacers for your float to put on the Heckler? The spacers on the 5th Element are different, I haven't contacted Fox or Santa Cruz yet, I got my float in the mail the other day.
QUOTE]

When I had my shock Pushed I asked for new mount reducers installed. Since they install new bushings, I like to start with all brand new mount reducers also. The funny thing is they missed it on my sales order and had to send them to me later.
If you can't find them anywhere, try Push, I'm not sure if they sell just parts separate.

In the past, I had some mount reducers left in my parts box and carefully ground them down to the correct width.

One thing I would like to pick up is a different shock bolts that are not fully threaded, I'm not sure why SC uses this type of bolt. A smooth bolt with theaded end would be better.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
You can't go wrong with the heckler. Best deal going right now hands down. The new 15mm single pivot axle is bomber without weighing the frame down.The heckler can be built almost as light as a dedicated xc race bike, or as heavy as a dedicated freeride bike. SC did a great job building a frame that has well balanced geometry with a short or long travel fork. I had an 08 heckler with a solid all mountain build weighing in at 34lbs. That's with DH tires and fox 36 fork, so it could have been as light as 32 or 31 with single ply tires. Swap out the 36 for a 32, put an xc wheelset on it and drop more weight and steepen the head angle for better climbing. The new heckler has enough travel to smash into just about anything as if you where on a long travel DH rig, but the single piv design really stiffens up the rear end when pedaling hard so it climbs very well. I ride a Nomad now just because I wanted to try second gen vpp, but in all honesty, I miss my Heckler, and think it's on par with the Nomad for half the price. And a heckler will out live any Nomad with ease. If you want to save some cash, look at used 03 to 06 hecklers. There's nothing wrong with the old design. Super solid, tried and true, just less travel. If you put an air shock on the old hecklers I believe it's pretty much the same weight as the new ones. I prefer the new design, but like I said, the old ones are solid, and you can get one for cheap.

·
1,110 Posts
slimat99 said:
You can't go wrong with the heckler. Best deal going right now hands down. The new 15mm single pivot axle is bomber without weighing the frame down.The heckler can be built almost as light as a dedicated xc race bike, or as heavy as a dedicated freeride bike. SC did a great job building a frame that has well balanced geometry with a short or long travel fork. I had an 08 heckler with a solid all mountain build weighing in at 34lbs. That's with DH tires and fox 36 fork, so it could have been as light as 32 or 31 with single ply tires. Swap out the 36 for a 32, put an xc wheelset on it and drop more weight and steepen the head angle for better climbing. The new heckler has enough travel to smash into just about anything as if you where on a long travel DH rig, but the single piv design really stiffens up the rear end when pedaling hard so it climbs very well. I ride a Nomad now just because I wanted to try second gen vpp, but in all honesty, I miss my Heckler, and think it's on par with the Nomad for half the price. And a heckler will out live any Nomad with ease. If you want to save some cash, look at used 03 to 06 hecklers. There's nothing wrong with the old design. Super solid, tried and true, just less travel. If you put an air shock on the old hecklers I believe it's pretty much the same weight as the new ones. I prefer the new design, but like I said, the old ones are solid, and you can get one for cheap.
I have similar feelings, that's why I built up this used 04. I sold my old 04 Heckler last spring to buy my Nomad. I love the Nomad, but kind of missed my old Heckler. My old one was built up all mountain, the new one is more XC since I still have the Nomad for all mountain.

The new Hecklers are lighter, a bit more travel and look great, but I agree the good old Heckler still great.

I'm looking forward to riding and dialing mine in once the weather breaks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the only thing I would say about the heckler is that because it is so confidence inspiring you end up going faster. and because you're going faster you start thinking about bigger tyres, bigger discs, wider bars etc so I have found myself progressively making it burlier. not a bad thing - it is a testament to how much fun the bike is - i feel like it is a waste having skinny tyres etc on it. but if you want to stay lightweight the new superlight with a 120 mil fork might be worth thinking about. I have one of the older models and it is great.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had almost the same dilemma when choosing my new bike. I came from Cannondale and really liked the brand. Was looking seriously into a Prophet from recent years and the new Rize. Finally decided on the SC as this being my dreambike for years and w¡finally available for my wallet. Following is a reply I wrote for a similar post.
------------------------

I have been a proud owner of a Heckler since August '08, coming from a Cannondale Hardtail (still a very decent bike).
My riding buddies are all lighter and more XC riders as I am. Fyi, we are 8, and only 2 FS bikes, my Heckler and a SC Superlight.
In the beginning, i.e. the first two months I had quite some struggles with the Heckler because of weight, full suspension and different geometry, but now, 4 months later I am back at the front pack again. I think it made me a much stronger rider, although not the fastest. We do climb a lot. Typically a 4 hour 40 mile ride consist of 3 hours of climbing, so it may be more XCish.
On the downhill, the SC excels. Where the others struggle to stay in the saddle, it seems I am riding tarmac. Where I used to get of the bike, I know don't recognize the difficulties I used to have.
In other words, the Heckler is what it's name suggests. It is a very versatile rig and you will be able to appreciate it's qualities whether you go up or down the hill.
Regarding the pedal bop. FYI, I have a pretty standard no nonsense set up (RAM) with a RS Revelation up front and a F Float R in the back. I am 6.3" and 200 lbs. So far no pedal bop whatsoever. I got both shox set up pretty stiff, this to be able to get more pedal feedback going up and to prevent bottoming out on the the downhill.
I hope my 2 (euro) cents will make you lean towards a SC.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two coworkers that have a heckler and a superlight. So I'll see if I can somehow ask for a test ride.

After doing some research, I've actually taken a shine to the Rush 4 from Cannondale. Looks to be more of a trail bike than the SL with its slacker head tube angle. But still very precise with its Lefty fork. I'm a bit hesitant with such a proprietary part. But at the same time very intrigued.

The rest of the bike seems to strike a balance between an RXC and DXC build of the SL. With a price point that's about the same.

The Heckler may be too much of an AM bike. I was amazed at how easy obstacles were with a test ride on the Rush. Almost wonder why I need more. But maybe that's the next step. But coming from an HT, I can't fathom some of the tougher AM rides. But maybe that comes as you get used to the speeds.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Being a big SC fan, it's hard for me to say go with the Rush, but it seems like it will be a better bike for you. You are right, the Heckler is very AM, one of the best AM bikes on the market. And like someone already stated, it's kind of a shame to build up a heckler super light because it really wants to be a stout AM, or light FR bike. If you don't want or need 150mm rear travel, and don't care to throw a 160 fork and fatty tires on it you might as well go with a lighter more xc biased rig. The heckler is a great bike with a shorter fork and light build, but I personlly think that if that's the kind of build you want there are lighter frames out there better suited to light builds. THe heckler will be whatever you want it to be, but I think it's best suited to the rider that wants a burly AM bike they can ride all day long and feel confident when the trails get tough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.