Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I drove up Sun morning for a solo packing trip. Just thought I'd thro some trail pics up. Started near the Fish Hatchery at the TH of Daniel Ridge, alt of 2750'. Started at 1pm going up up up to Black Balsam(6214') across the Parkway up near(above)Ivester Gap trail that same afternoon. 10+ miles in 5hrs for a gain of 4100' vertical since I lost 700' and had to regain it once again as the trail had to go around a cliff line. Not bad for an afternoon with 25lbs of gear on ones back. Anyhoo, some pics of some "bike trails" there.

The streamcrossing at that bridge from the start of Daniel Ridge loop. A classic Pisgah ride.

The watershed thats next to the trail as one climbs. I talked to 3 mtbers as this "hiker" did his thing. hehehe. Missed my bikes tho. ;(

Typcial Daniel Ridge stuff...wet as always.

Came to the top where Farlow Gap turns off and up. My map shows it to be hiker only. Surprised to see its bike legal. REALLY surprised after I hiked it. The 2nd half is a mofo, even when hiked. It climbs from here at like 3200' up to 4700' near Pilot Mtn and the Art Loeb trail, where I later this day turned right(north)and up.

Turn the corner above and you cross this...

Then go straight up for a bit.

The up some more...

Then for the last 1.5 mile its straight against the fall line. This when on...

...and on...

..and on...looking back down(note I'm in the clouds now).

Then looking up from the same spot.

More to come as I climb to the Pisgah Ledge, the master ridge of the entire area.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
farlow is only vaguely legal. at the top there is a sign that says 'no bikes' (which is regularly defaced) at the bottom it says it is open for bikes. when i rode (and i use the term 'rode' loosely as you can see from the pic below) it a while back we ran into a ranger near the bottom who mentioned that the trail wasn't really legal but didn't say anythign about the fact that we had obviously just ridden it.

got rocks?

rt

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally, Farlow Gap mercifully dumps out into..well, Farlow Gap just north of the Summit of Pilot mtn on the Art Loeb. I turned north on it toward the Parkway for another 900' gain to it, all in the thick soup. The after crosing the Parkway at 5300', I climbed the steep 700' gain for .5 mile to the top of the ridge where the Mtn to Sea Trail and the Art Loeb intersect at 6000'. Then 2 more miles east to Black Balsam and the climb up it.

Still climbing...

Finally, after 2 smoked heals(damn boots), I made it to Balsam at 6pm. Tired dude. Thru down my shelter at 6140' off to the side of the summit and ate and ate and....

The next morning the clouds finally cleared. My view sucked. Above treeline. hehehe

Looking Glass and Cedar Rock are all underneith the clouds(down where I started the day before) out past the main ridge line. Note the Parkway cut in the same ridge in the distance. Graveyard fields is off to the left and down below about 1000'.

The view behind my shelter towards the NW.

And north to the summit of Balsam about 200yrds away and 70' higher.

Your friendly "hiker" yesterday morning after packing up.

Dunno what they are, but they look cool.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
After that I hiked the Art Loeb over Tennant, then to Ivester, then east on Graveyard Ridge trail. Then it started raining..as hard as it can rain. I hiked over to the Graveyard parking lot on the Parkway(above 4 miles from Ivester)...then 1.5 miles east on it(while cars zoomed by and it raining super hard with a leahed dog)...then down a trail(I forget the name)that drops off straight down(2-3 more miles and now a long flowing creek tho)down to the top area of Caney Bottoms.
After about 3hrs of rain, it stopped. The last few pics are at the bottom of Caney, as the ol digicam had to in hiding until there. 13 miles yesterday and the same alt loss. Came out at the bottom of Caney Bottoms and hiked up the FS rd back to the car at Daniel Ridge. Not a bad loop for a 1 nighter.

And the obligatory pic of Looking Glass as I left yesterday afternoon on the FS rd I parked on.

Duck

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, what a contrast from summer to winter. Cool pic for reference.

Thats crazy that it says "no bikes" up top(I didn't look, as I was just happy to be there finally LOL!)and "bike legal" as my picture clearly shows. My map diffenently says "no bikes" as well. Hmmm.....

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, what a good trail dog she is. I use her for trail/boulder size reference if possible. Shes always 5 yards in the lead, but stopping and looking back every 3-4 seconds to make sure I'm there. I carried 2 friggin cans of doggie food for her. Damn! Figured she needed the good stuff, and could I dump the trash up on the Parkway anyways. I leashed her if I saw anyone nearby, altho shes gotten great at commands now. Shes the main reason I waited until Sunday afternoon to hike, so I won't see many people, and the route I took up Daniel Ridge is usually always climbed by riders. I was right seeing only 3 riders all going up, and I passed 2 of'm in the harder tech stuff(they were carrying the bikes). There was that odd older couple with the bear bells chimming away, now that I think about it, being way up high later on. Never have heard such until then. They said they were worried about bears. I told'm no worries of course, as I've been packing up there solo for 10yrs, and haven't been eaten...yet.

Standing on the summit of Tennant at 6040'. Shes just glad to be there.

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
That reminds me I need to return to Pisgah soon. Looks like it might be a while though unless it's only for a few days. Signed my life away up until November. Anyone wanna let me leave a bike at their place near there so i can just fly down for weekends?:)

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
Question....How possible would it be to do a sort of "super shuttle" from up around balsam down to Caney or Daniel. I know Farlow is shuttleable, although I haven't ridden it. After seeing those pictures...I will have to ride it.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Theres no bike legal trails from the Balsam area(Larual Creek, Ivester Gap, Graveyard Ridge trails, which are the bike legal ones there) to either side, meaning Caney Bottoms, Daniel, Farlow, Pilot mtn area, etc. Been looking myself. You have to ride around on the Parkway to 276 or 215 and lots of FS rd mileage and such, which sucks.

Yes, the DH guys would LOVE Farlow. I hiked down Seinard Ridge trail from the Parkway(its just east of Graveyard Field about 1.5 miles down the Parkway), being trail #113 on my older map(the new maps have diff numbers now). Super steep trail too, and hiker only.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cyclesmith said:
Great pics, Duck. I really like the last one of Cassie.
Excellent!!

Did the Profile trail up to Callaway Peak on Grandfather Saturday with my border collie, Tippy. Saw at least a half-dozen other doggies out for a hike with their humans. Everyone we ran across had their dogs off-leash(including us!), but all canines(and humans) were on their best trail behavior, and were really respectful, having leashes close at hand to keep everything flowing smoothly when passing on that narrow-assed trail. It was a great day. Had a couple with us who were new to NC, so I decided to take them up about 5800 feet, and show 'em a view they wouldn't soon forget. :cool:

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Great pics...

and write up, as usual. Another month (I guess) and the leaves should start turning. That would mean another trip for you, huh?

Tom

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Duck - Pisgah packing questions....

Duck,

Would you mind shooting me your e-mail so I can pick your brain about a few
trails up in the Shining Rocks area?

Thanks !

Zak B.

zbss"at"bellsouth"dot"net

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
Duckman said:
Wow, what a contrast from summer to winter. Cool pic for reference.

Thats crazy that it says "no bikes" up top(I didn't look, as I was just happy to be there finally LOL!)and "bike legal" as my picture clearly shows. My map diffenently says "no bikes" as well. Hmmm.....
hehe. that pic was taken in April of '01. amazing differencebetween early spring & late summer. :)

rt

·
Registered
105 Posts
The blueberries should be ripe now on the Art Loeb! Miles and miles of them all along the trail. My buddies and I always try to get there this week of every year for awesome views, great camping on the balds, and blueberries galore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.