1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some pictures from a trip into the Southern Chilcotin's, BC
Fabulous weekend!!!!
Was quite WARM and very dry!!!
Trip was just 3 days long and about 90 kms total for the 3 days.
AND I hope I get to go next year already......can't wait!!! :D
(9 riders in our group, 2 of us are riding Turner's)
Why I posted here rather then some where else.

going up Taylor Pass

still going up Taylor pass

Top of Taylor pass..........

in the distance the pictures are not quite clear due to smoke from fires further North

Top of Windy Pass and will be decending down a very nice trail......... :D

Old cabin with a XCE hanging..........

Mike and his XCE......

Hummingbird Lake we rode to on the second day.

riding back to camp, ran into a Grizzley in around this area earlier in the day....

Riding down Gun Creek

Teflon Sharon no more..............lol

Gun Creek

Thats all folks
:cool:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Very nice!

what towns are nearby? where did you start riding from?

I was riding in BC last week as well, the Okanagan Valley area...38 deg Celcius(100 F)...We northerner's aren't used to that kind of heat :)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Me Likey

Wow. Post of the week. There aren't many pics which make me close to desperate to ride a particular trail, but that did it. Very very cool.

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
more South Chilcotin pix

Hey Primo,

Thanks for the pix. Here's some more of our weekend.

The south Chilcotins are about 100km (that's 60 Canadian miles, eh) north of Whistler BC. The trails and terrain aresimilar to Colorado's. Lower elevations are a mix of spruce pine and aspens. Passes and peaks are typically bald and windswept. The wildflowers can be amazing, although this year was disappointing due to lack of rain and excessively hot weather.

The trails were developed by horsepackers and cattle ranchers. Their rustic cabins dot the landscape. Access is from the Jewel Bridge trailhead on Gun Creek or by Taylor Creek via Tyax Lodge. We used the Tyax Air floatplane to fly our overnight gear into Spruce Lake and camped there for two nights as we explored the area. An awesome place to ride.

South Chilcotins is a provincial park currently threatened by logging and mining to 20 percent of it's area thanks to the present BC government.

Attachments

·
FAT CHANCE!
619 Posts
telebiker said:
Hey Primo,

Thanks for the pix. Here's some more of our weekend.

The south Chilcotins are about 100km (that's 60 Canadian miles, eh) north of Whistler BC. The trails and terrain aresimilar to Colorado's. Lower elevations are a mix of spruce pine and aspens. Passes and peaks are typically bald and windswept. The wildflowers can be amazing, although this year was disappointing due to lack of rain and excessively hot weather.

The trails were developed by horsepackers and cattle ranchers. Their rustic cabins dot the landscape. Access is from the Jewel Bridge trailhead on Gun Creek or by Taylor Creek via Tyax Lodge. We used the Tyax Air floatplane to fly our overnight gear into Spruce Lake and camped there for two nights as we explored the area. An awesome place to ride.

South Chilcotins is a provincial park currently threatened by logging and mining to 20 percent of it's area thanks to the present BC government.
It looks a lot like Colorado, but I don't know anything like that in Colorado. Anyone out there, please tell me there is this kind of stuff is near by! I want to go!

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
roy harley said:
It looks a lot like Colorado, but I don't know anything like that in Colorado. Anyone out there, please tell me there is this kind of stuff is near by! I want to go!
Roy, I'm thinking Crested Butte 401 trail or Colorado Trail near Breck or even Kenosha Pass. South Chilcotins is similar to all of the above but with the sharper peaks of the San Juans in the distance rather than the rounder mid Rockies of Colorado.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to show off a great ride in Beautiful BC
Glad that those that looked enjoyed the pictures.
Thanks to Telebiker for the additional pictures!!!

Kevin :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Are you a tour guide?

telebiker said:

Telebiker,

I went helicopter skiing with TLH 2 or 3 years ago and stayed at the Tyax lodge. When I was there I remember talking to someone about wanting to start guided mountainbiking tours. Are you that someone?

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
49flatfish said:
Telebiker,

I went helicopter skiing with TLH 2 or 3 years ago and stayed at the Tyax lodge. When I was there I remember talking to someone about wanting to start guided mountainbiking tours. Are you that someone?

Nope, I'm just a guy who loves to ride singletrack in remote scenic wilderness and share it with others. If you are interestd, Chilcotin Holidays offers supported mountain bike trips in the area.

·
Never enough time to ride
1,575 Posts
Wow...

That's all I can think of to say. I haven't had the oportunity to ride anything like that before. Maybe once I've got my Burner built up I'll have to make concerted effort to at least make it out to the Rockies.

Thanks for posting, I needed a little more motivation to get my new ride done after the last was stolen.

happy trails...

squish

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Thanks to Dawgprimo for posting a link to this thread on the Western Canada board as I hadn't seen it before.

My wife & I rode into Spruce Lake up the Gun Creek trail last July. Amazing scenery and we plan to head back up there again this summer for more riding.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Fantastic pictures. I've really got to get myself to North America one day. So far my experience of biking over there has consisted of cruising around New York's Central Park and the New Jersey waterfront on my Kona.

The riding in Korea is good but nowhere can you see scenic vistas like that.

Duncan

·
Tear it all out!
7,739 Posts
Thought I'd add a photo to the thread from our trip.

My wife riding toward Spruce Lake on the Gun Creek trail.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Looks like you had an incredible ride! Thanks for sharing!

·
Bon Vie
624 Posts
Awesome pics in what looks to be a gorgeous area to ride. Will have to put on my must ride list. Thanks for the shots......................peace.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts