Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not going riding for a while so I thought I would post some pics of my bike with the new fork. So far the boxxer is dope, works really well on this frame. Rides as good as it looks :D.

Right now I'm debating if I should build up a hardtail or keep upgrading this.

Attachments

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red Bull said:
Hawt. There are 2 things i personally would do to that, DHX5 and maybe some Hadleys to ex823...
But id go for the HT, i may, possibly just trade my Stinky for a pimp DOC and be in ALOT of debt. Its all up to my parents...
Thanks. I just got to figure out where my priorities are. If I upgraded I've got 2 options, or I could get most of the hardtail.

#1:
Rasta CK Headset
Salsa bolt on Seat Clamp
I-beam seat post
I-FlyC saddle
Ti spring
Hone Cranks (Maybe XT depending on how much cash I have)
EA70 handle bar
New tires (need badly)

#2:
New wheel set with 823's, black 14g spokes, Hadleys, and brass nips.
Michy 2.2 rear and 2.5 front

#2 will make a bigger difference weight wise, but the other things are just parts that I don't like on my bike and would like to replace. Also, I'm not so sure if I want to spring for the 823's 'till someone proves the durability of the new style ones.

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
supposedly the new 823's are stronger than the old ones..... mavic was telling me this at the otter. Great to know since i bought 04 823's. However, they did tell me what i already knew: a correctly built wheel will take more abuse than a steel i-beam. I say go for the wheelset, the other stuff is just superflous. Oh and i would not go DHX over swinger 4-way..... the Swinger has just as good tehcnology, but is not as adjustable. Also the swinger has a completely different ride style that is more plush and stable through rough stuff. DHX is essentially same as Vanilla RC (shim stack damping) but with added technology. Not worth 400 bucks for same thing.......unless i get sponsored by fox haha.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
j6105 said:
supposedly the new 823's are stronger than the old ones..... mavic was telling me this at the otter. Great to know since i bought 04 823's. However, they did tell me what i already knew: a correctly built wheel will take more abuse than a steel i-beam. I say go for the wheelset, the other stuff is just superflous. Oh and i would not go DHX over swinger 4-way..... the Swinger has just as good tehcnology, but is not as adjustable. Also the swinger has a completely different ride style that is more plush and stable through rough stuff. DHX is essentially same as Vanilla RC (shim stack damping) but with added technology. Not worth 400 bucks for same thing.......unless i get sponsored by fox haha.
That's what I'm leaning toward. Hell, I might be able to do both, because I've got quite a bit of equity in my current wheels. Don't want a DHX on this bike, It's my opinion that it feels best with the current swinger 6 way.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
Nice!

04 Boxxa WC? How do you like it?
I like it a lot so far. I've only ridden it 4 times so far so I haven't really formed and opinion.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
!!!oh My God!!!

what is SMT going to think??? you know he's not going to like this at all, are you purposely trying to make him upset? this can only bring about more negative Boxxer rantings, what have you done?!?!?!

on a serious note, it looks very sweet. Congrats. Just curious though, why not an 8" 05 boxxer? Seems everyone these days is going to 8" travel forks.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
red5 said:
what is SMT going to think??? you know he's not going to like this at all, are you purposely trying to make him upset? this can only bring about more negative Boxxer rantings, what have you done?!?!?!
Hehehe.

on a serious note, it looks very sweet. Congrats. Just curious though, why not an 8" 05 boxxer? Seems everyone these days is going to 8" travel forks.
A couple of reasons:
1) The whole reason of me getting a new fork was to achieve a steeper HA and lower the bb, and the HA and bb with this fork is just the way I want it. Though, I guess it is arguable that the 05 could achieve a AtoC similar to this, as I'm running the crown up as high as possible.
2) I got the fork for a really good deal
3) I don't want 8 inches of travel

I might upgrade to the 05 lowers sometime later, as well as the upper crown to run an E13 stem.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Red Bull said:
They are pretty slack bikes and i am considering running my 40 in the 7" mode...
ull never have one :p

my priorities are

1# get good grades so parents buy me dj/urban bike

2# save up money in case i dont get good grades so i have to buy dj/urban bike with own bills

·
gnar, brah
1,861 Posts
Very nice looking bike. I'd go ahead and build up a hardtail if I were you. Any upgrades to that beast would just be fine tuning, and I think a hardtail would make for a lot of fun. It'd be a more noticeable usage of your cash at least. Either way, that is some pimp stuff.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Andrewpalooza said:
Very nice looking bike. I'd go ahead and build up a hardtail if I were you. Any upgrades to that beast would just be fine tuning, and I think a hardtail would make for a lot of fun. It'd be a more noticeable usage of your cash at least. Either way, that is some pimp stuff.
God that is sooo hawt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I`m going 888 on mine...

I sold my 05 888`s to my buddy for what I paid for them,and since I havent yet built up my Demo 9(still need RD/Cassette, my Avalanche rear shock,brakes and a headset) I knew he could use the fork.Plus,I`m waiting for the 2006 888`s.They come with flat crowns and hi/lo speed compression dampening,or so I`ve heard.Regardless,I wasn`t going to even put the 05`s I just got on my frame yet,and my bro needed new forks badly.He`s stoked.And Konarider,you should do one more upgrade to your already badass Demo:Avalanche DHS rear shock w/ remote reservoir.They cannot be beat by anything else,plus they are custom built just for you.A tad expensive,but totally and completely worth it. :D

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.