Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a few pics, the web site is not finished been updated. So for the guys who wanted some pics here they are .
The guy on the bottom pic is Tyler him along with his teammate came alway from Lake Forest, Ca.

Attachments

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
Nice pics I would have loved to come down for it! Quick question, who painted the rocks? Was that there before the race? I guess that since it is not in the U.S. that painting rocks may be more acceptable? I remember a local race where the promoter painted arrows on the trail and several people were very upset, even though withing a week or so the gravel and been spread around enough to hide it.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Caltrans orange.. rocks?

Soloracer said:
Nice pics I would have loved to come down for it! Quick question, who painted the rocks? Was that there before the race? I guess that since it is not in the U.S. that painting rocks may be more acceptable? I remember a local race where the promoter painted arrows on the trail and several people were very upset, even though withing a week or so the gravel and been spread around enough to hide it.
interesting...

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes is a water based bio flourescent paint, it was done

for the night riding that area was tricky so the paint made the rocks more visible, it was a 20 foot drop around that area, not the kind of press I want or need. ;) Our next race is going to be at the same ranch, on sept 17. We will have more teams and so on. The solo class cost is only going to be 50.00 with cash prizes for the class. If anyone here wants to talk to the American guys that came down let me know , so they can give you the scoop. They told me that they are comming to the next one.

Attachments

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
How long does it stay on the rocks? I organize a fundraising 2 day event that has very diverse participants, so some different course markings would be benificial. I doubt though that I could get the local land managers to sign off on it regardless of its biodegradablility and environmental persistance.

Thanks again,

jim

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Painting Rocks

They used to do it here in the U.S. The Worlds course in Vail in '94 was marked in such a way. They painted not only rocks, but mostly exposed roots in the pine trees. I thought at the time that it was a rather dubious, albeit effective, solution.

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did it for the benefit of the racers, it was done to highlight

Guitar Ted said:
They used to do it here in the U.S. The Worlds course in Vail in '94 was marked in such a way. They painted not only rocks, but mostly exposed roots in the pine trees. I thought at the time that it was a rather dubious, albeit effective, solution.
exposed rocks and such. See in an endurance race people will get tired as the day goes on, with poor visibility and the fatigue factor racers will make mistakes in places that they would normally not make any, and this area it was dangerous enough in the day time. So I took extra care, after almost 800 laps we didn't have a single accident that required any medical attention. :)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
It's OK

I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh. Your situation was far different and I agree with your reasoning for doing what you did in your situation. Perhaps I should have given a little more detail. The Worlds course at Vail was an XC event. Not likely to last more than a couple of hours or three. The rooty sections were rather tame in my opinion, and to have them marked with paint was a little over the top. Thus the "dubious" comment. Remember, this was a course marked out for Pro level athletes, and I suspect that they had seen a root or two along the way! ;)

Congratulations on a sucessful and injury free event. I just put a race on myself, and I know that injuries are a worry for the promoter.

·
XCdude
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is ok I was just explaining it, I didn't take your

Guitar Ted said:
I'm sorry if I came off a little harsh. Your situation was far different and I agree with your reasoning for doing what you did in your situation. Perhaps I should have given a little more detail. The Worlds course at Vail was an XC event. Not likely to last more than a couple of hours or three. The rooty sections were rather tame in my opinion, and to have them marked with paint was a little over the top. Thus the "dubious" comment. Remember, this was a course marked out for Pro level athletes, and I suspect that they had seen a root or two along the way! ;)

Congratulations on a sucessful and injury free event. I just put a race on myself, and I know that injuries are a worry for the promoter.
comments as harsh or anything like that. So is good to talk about everything related to the sport. Also a is great to have a incident free event, because people always remember the ambulance :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.