Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just got back from Colorado, we spent a few days in Crested Butte and got a chance to ride one day. We both demoed bikes from the Alpinner, I highly recommend these guys. They went out of their way to help us get set up and on our way.

My wife rode a Marin with full XT and seemed to like it, I was on a Moots softy-al with full XT. The Moots was real nice, light and quick. However it had the new XT shifter/break levers, which I never really got used to. They were fine when climbing, but I was constantly shifting accidentally on the downhill and technical sections. Also, the rear suspension had a lot more brake jack than my Turner. It pretty much felt like I had no travel under hard breaking. I think I'm just spoiled with my bike.

We rode trail 403 up and over to Gothic road, then up the road to Schofield Pass, and hooked onto trail 401 which took us back to Gothic. This was by far the most scenic mtb ride I have ever been on. Before this trip I've only seen views, meadows and wildflowers like these on multi-day backing trips. The ride ended up taking us around 4.5 hours because we kept stopping to take pictures and gock at the scenery. Not sure how many miles it was or how much climbing we did, but we were both pretty tired by the end. Well worth it tough. If you are ever in the area I would highly recommend these two trails.

Now for the pics, enjoy

Attachments

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
thats one of my favorites, used to live in the area, sure do miss it. you did some nice climbing, probably 3000 feet worth, maybe a bit more and probably 20-25 miles.
in the old days the bike race used go up the mountain, over painter boy, down to snodgrass, over that, up 403 , up 401 and then back over the mountain, it was sick!!!

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
shmrcksean said:
Great pics. I went to school at Western State (in Gunnison) and used to ride Crested Butte every weekend. Was I ever spoiled!
me too - every time i hear about some great front range trail i have to realize that most people didn't have our great mtn biking experience in the gunnison valley or i usually end up disappointed.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
billybobzia said:
me too - every time i hear about some great front range trail i have to realize that most people didn't have our great mtn biking experience in the gunnison valley or i usually end up disappointed.
'S a shame, 'cos there's some great rides on the front range.

Nice pics. I gotta go get me some of that.

A

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.