Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mate wanted to come down from Sydney for a week of riding. Great! I'm up for that! Another mate who is in between jobs and had just bought a Mongoose Canaan was also keen. We decided to hit the You Yangs near Geelong, Forrest - further west and the Yarra Trails in inner- Melbourne.

These shots are in the You Yangs. Lot's more photo potential but we were having to much fun to stop.

Attachments

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After the You Yangs session we drove to Forrest, about 1.25 hours away. We stayed in th Forrest B+B which was pretty comfy and enjoyed a gourmet continental Breakky the next morning. Then - hit the trails! 70km of diverse hand built singletrack.

Attachments

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Berms!

There are so many berms in this place! Some are so fast you almost black out due to blood piling up in one side of your head!

Attachments

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yarra Trails!

Third day. This was meant to be a rest day but we went for a ride instead.:D
Ches had a cold but my brother came out so there were three of us once again.
Buff trails that are in a flood zone along the Yarra River, meaning it's very fertile ground. You could do possibly 40km each way here in the heart of Melbourne.

Attachments

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another section is quite techy with the risk of falling off a cliff and into the river.:eek:
The following day we did a ride in the Dandenong Ranges - No pics
Friday it rained...

Attachments

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
All those trails look so fast! Bet that was fun.

And I think I would have opted to ride on the bridge (that is a bridge right there, isn't it?), rather than teeter on the edge like that. :eek:

Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
278 Posts
great photo's, gotta love the berms at forrest, and you yangs for its more technical stuff. Never been to the yarra trails yet gotta do it someday.

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,007 Posts
Gorgeous trails! Looks like a blast to ride. I like your car too, nice little MTB Pugeot, lol. :thumbsup:

·
Singletrack minded
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
scorpionwoman said:
All those trails look so fast! Bet that was fun.

And I think I would have opted to ride on the bridge (that is a bridge right there, isn't it?), rather than teeter on the edge like that. :eek:

Thanks for the post!
Following the river is a sealed bike path, at this spot a boardwalk. The singletracks run parallal and join it briefly here and there. I'd imagine there are not many cities in the world with such a trail system. All semi-unofficial too.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
We need more pics like these. I always enjoy posts from countries other than the US. America's great and all, but most its citizens don't realize how cool the rest of the world is.

·
Registered
608 Posts
THANK YOU for sharing! I am moving to Melbourne in a month! I can't wait to ride! This thread has inspired me to keep my Ventana!

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Those Forrest trails look like an absolute blast. Nice shots too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great pics, I spent many years in the early 90's ridding the yarra trails, some friends and I allegedly(they are all unofficial still), created some of the short cuts that now form part of the network. I now live close to the you yangs and am back ridding after an 8yr layoff.

Hud, I just this w/e bought a 2nd hand Canaan and would be interested if your friend could advise on what sag to run in the rear shock as i dont have a manual.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts