Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I just bought a MTB SS with horizontal dropouts and have it set up for my daily commute

I bought it on ebay and it came with a 32-18

This is definitely not enough gear

I was wondering what a good gear ratio is for commuting on road with slicks

Also where are the best places to buy additional/replacement gears

The crank is a bontrager SS with a 4 arm spider and a bash guard

The rear hub is a King

THanks

Will

·
Registered
54 Posts
I run a 44x17 when I commute, but I only have a few short (and painful) hills. That combo was good for 18-20 mph or so w/ 26x1.5 tires. You could try a 13 or 14 tooth cog. Also, you can calculate gear-inches here:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

That can help give you an idea of how much of a change you'll get.

Hope this helps.

Dan

·
Registered
547 Posts
on a slick mtb I'd say around 65-70 inches. I push a 42/14 (78.8") around but that's got 700c * 23 tyres and it's plus aero than an mtb. The flip (flop?) side of that is 69" which is far better for spinning.

a 44/15 or 16 is therefore a good choice for your 26" slicks. to run the same chainring, a 12t sprocket is as small as I'd run.

- Joel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses

I think that a 44/18 or 44/16 should work pretty well

The crank is a Bontrager crank but I think that it ws manufactured by Truvativ - it looks like a Truvativ sylo with a bash guard and a 4 arm spider

Will a 44 T chainring fit?

Would I have to remove the bashguard?

What is the best place to order online if I have compatibility questions like this?

Finally, I would like to convert my wheelset from my geared MTB to a snow/ice wheelset for those days when the weather prevents riding slicks. Would the best way to go for this be a Gusset 1er single speed vonversion kit?

Thanks for your replies

Will

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm pretty sure your crank is a 104/64 bolt hole diameter, so you can buy a chainring based on that. A 44t will fit, since the standard triple is 44/32/22, however, you may not be able to fit it in the middle chainring position in place of the 32t you have now. I was able to fit a 44t on my I.F. in the middle position but I only had 2mm of clearance from the chainstay. If you place the chainring in the outer position you'll have to remove the bash guard (which you should do anyway since the bash guard will only protect up to a 32). The only problem with the Gusset 1er is that it doesn't appear to allow for any chainline adjustment. webcyclery.com has a kit I believe that includes a cog and spacers that would allow you to match your cog position to the chainring. Whew...make any sense?

I use universalcycles.com and have also used webcyclery.com, the both know what they're doing in my opinion.

Dan

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MO Will said:
Thanks for the responses

I think that a 44/18 or 44/16 should work pretty well

The crank is a Bontrager crank but I think that it ws manufactured by Truvativ - it looks like a Truvativ sylo with a bash guard and a 4 arm spider

Will a 44 T chainring fit?

Would I have to remove the bashguard?

What is the best place to order online if I have compatibility questions like this?

Finally, I would like to convert my wheelset from my geared MTB to a snow/ice wheelset for those days when the weather prevents riding slicks. Would the best way to go for this be a Gusset 1er single speed vonversion kit?

Thanks for your replies

Will
You need to make sure the bigger ring will clear the chainstay. It can be mounted in the outer position in place of the guard ring. This will change your chainline so you will need to move the cog further out on the hub. You should have room on the King.

Do NOT use the Gusset kit on your King! The narrow base cog will cut into your FH shell (it is OK for steel FH bodies). Use King Kogs, Boone, Surly or Endless wide base cogs. The spacers can come out of an old cassette.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gusset Kit with King Rear Hub?

Shiggy - Am I correct on your statement below? I just received a Gusset kit that I was going to install on an old set of King Classic hubs mated to Valiant hoops. If so, can you recommend a more appropriate SS rear cog/spacer kit? Additionally, I want to run a 34 front and 17, 18, or 20 rear, any suggestions on good light bash guard. I like the kooka and spot style, but I am looking for something even more utilitarian looking and light.

Thanks in advance for your response, new to SS however raced BMX growing up.

Happy Singletracking

Kegbert1

shiggy said:
You need to make sure the bigger ring will clear the chainstay. It can be mounted in the outer position in place of the guard ring. This will change your chainline so you will need to move the cog further out on the hub. You should have room on the King.

Do NOT use the Gusset kit on your King! The narrow base cog will cut into your FH shell (it is OK for steel FH bodies). Use King Kogs, Boone, Surly or Endless wide base cogs. The spacers can come out of an old cassette.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
You really don't need a "kit". Your LBS likely has a box of aluminum spacers of different widths (and colors!) to fit. Mine has a bunch. Approx. eight-ten bucks for one wheel. Plastic ones from a coupla old freehubs are "free". I go for the bling.

The King hub has an aluminium freehub body.....a narrow based cog ala Shizmano DX or similar will chew it up quickly, making things nasty. The cogs Shiggy mentioned are all wide-based, which spreads the load out nicely!

kegbert1 said:
Shiggy - Am I correct on your statement below? I just received a Gusset kit that I was going to install on an old set of King Classic hubs mated to Valiant hoops. If so, can you recommend a more appropriate SS rear cog/spacer kit? Additionally, I want to run a 34 front and 17, 18, or 20 rear, any suggestions on good light bash guard. I like the kooka and spot style, but I am looking for something even more utilitarian looking and light.

Thanks in advance for your response, new to SS however raced BMX growing up.

Happy Singletracking

Kegbert1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts