Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm a new spanish user and i write in english rather bad.

I'm the owner of a '04 Drop Off II, with SSV pumping rod internally adjustable in right leg, and pumping rod non adjustable in left one.

I've seen online this manual that is similar to the Drop Off II's one, 'cause it has the same valves.

The left leg system has no valve nor three-point ring, but the rest is similar.

Does the left leg make some compression or rebound damping?

I've just filled the fork with 10wt motorcycle fork oil to archieve more apreciable rebound adjusting, but now it's difficult to bottom it at typical oil height and i've experienced some spiking at high speed bumps.

I've tough the possibility of put 5wt only in the left leg mantaining the 10wt in the right one, to archieve a "quasi-7,5wt" but with 10wt in the rebound adjuster.

¿What do you think about this?

Someone can explain to me the oil movement in this system when i compress/extend the fork?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've jet experimented different oil heights. This is not a solutión, 'cause taking out some oil i can get the full travel, but the 10wt in both legs makes the compression too dampered.

Thanks.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
You have good ideas

Huess said:
I've jet experimented different oil heights. This is not a solutió®¬*'cause taking out some oil i can get the full travel, but the 10wt in both legs makes the compression too dampered.

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with the internals of your fork, but I like your idea of using heavier oil only on the rebound side, lighter oil on the compression side. You may have to do some trial and error tests to dial it in.

If it's rebound only adjustable then maybe standard 7.5 fork oil in both sides and adjust rebound to how you like it. I've been using Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dextron type) for 3 years in my '01 x-fly (with coils) with great performance, and no leaks.

- ray

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Both legs in your fork do damping duties, so yes you can play with that. Your idea is killing good IMO (in my opinion).

Post the results so some folks out here would get the tip and get hands on.

Saludos desde Mexico!

Forks are a damping system working in parallel. Resulting damping is the sum of the damping made by each leg and your fork has rebound/compression assys on each leg (but only one is adjustable, as far as I know). So using different oil grades can deliver interesting results.

Some folks just mix two different oils grades (from the same brand) in order to get a different - intermediate - grade. Just remember that what you do to your rebound affects your compression also as the oil is the same for both and I think compression damping is not adjustable in your fork.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, thanks for your answers.

Finally i've filled both legs with 150 cc SAE 5wt oil instead de 155cc of SAE 7,5wt recommended by the manufacturer.

Obviously I have fully closed the rebound adjuster to archieve an apreciable rebound damping.

The results are good, the fork 'eats' the impacts quickly and with the rebound fully closed I get enough rebound damping. Also i've not yet bottommed the fork.

My weight is 70 kg (sorry, I don't understand lbs...).

Another question, the original coils that came with the fork are too firm to my weight, i think. 'cause this new Marzs have an external air preload, i use a unnoficial method to archieve a higher sag. I compress the fork all what I can and then I push the schraeder valve to get out the air inside. Really I compress the fork with the valve opened and I close it before the fork extends. In this way, I have negative air pressure, and the difference is apreciable. Could be better to get out one coil and putting some air pressure? This solution would be more expensive, 'cause i have not fork pump!

Saludos desde España a todos los hispano-hablantes.

Visitad foromtb.com

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Huess said:
Hi, thanks for your answers.

Finally i've filled both legs with 150 cc SAE 5wt oil instead de 155cc of SAE 7,5wt recommended by the manufacturer.

Obviously I have fully closed the rebound adjuster to archieve an apreciable rebound damping.

The results are good, the fork 'eats' the impacts quickly and with the rebound fully closed I get enough rebound damping. Also i've not yet bottommed the fork.

My weight is 70 kg (sorry, I don't understand lbs...).

Another question, the original coils that came with the fork are too firm to my weight, i think. 'cause this new Marzs have an external air preload, i use a unnoficial method to archieve a higher sag. I compress the fork all what I can and then I push the schraeder valve to get out the air inside. Really I compress the fork with the valve opened and I close it before the fork extends. In this way, I have negative air pressure, and the difference is apreciable. Could be better to get out one coil and putting some air pressure? This solution would be more expensive, 'cause i have not fork pump!

Saludos desde España a todos los hispano-hablantes.

Visitad foromtb.com
Check first how far are you from the low limit of the spring range. It may be that the softer spring will require more pre-load to achieve sag and that would make it less responsive (slang term is "plush"). But as a rule of thumb if you can't get proper sag with your spring, you need a softer spring. Pumps are out there for under 40 euros. Try to get the stuff from Marzocchi Italia. It could be cheaper from you (I said "could").

Good luck!!!

Visitare el Foro!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.