Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been riding SS for 2 years now (SS only for 1.5 years). Here are my gripes. I tend to push myself, so I push my bikes too. We have short steep climbs where you have to give a final mega push and lots of roots. Parts do not last - I have bent 2 spot spiderless, 1 blackspire and numerous king cogs, 2 left 747 pedals and 1 959 pair, chainring bolts. Everything starts to creak 2 rides after regrease, especially stem/bar and crank/bb. So, I have to maintain my SS more than my geary! I have never broken anything on my geary! Still I like to work on my bikes and I love SS.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
poff said:
Ok, I have been riding SS for 2 years now (SS only for 1.5 years). Here are my gripes. I tend to push myself, so I push my bikes too. We have short steep climbs where you have to give a final mega push and lots of roots. Parts do not last - I have bent 2 spot spiderless, 1 blackspire and numerous king cogs, 2 left 747 pedals and 1 959 pair, chainring bolts. Everything starts to creak 2 rides after regrease, especially stem/bar and crank/bb. So, I have to maintain my SS more than my geary! I have never broken anything on my geary! Still I like to work on my bikes and I love SS.
My Unit hasn't had those problems. A few broken chains (mega pushes) and sliding drops that needed new bolts (more mega pushes). On the other hand I've seen gearies with tons of problems - of course broken deraileurs.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
nothing like bending a derailleur after even the most innocent of falls, which happens to be my biggest pet peeve with gearies....it makes sense anyway that you have to maintain your gearie less since you indicate you are SS only for 1.5 years. Time will tell I suppose for me but at the end of the day, I dont think I will care either way. Parts breaking and/or needing replacement is just something I have accepted as part of the game and something I expect.

Cheers

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
My suggestions, FWTW...

I'm ALMOST as big as Padre, but not quite! 8^)

6'5" and currently 218 lbs., with lotsa those short steep rocky rooties, and plenty of longer ones in NoArizona.

Parts I trust that I CANNOT bend or break include......

ENO cranks.
Eggy pedals, in any flavor.
ENO freewheels.
SRAM PC-7X chains.

Sun Rhynolite and/or Salsa Semi rims.
Thomson post or stem.
Easton Carbon Monkeylite DH bar.

Surly hubs.

IMO, you might try some of these! Like my Toyota Tacoma and my Kawasaki KLR650, I get absolutely BORED with the reliability and lack of maintenance.......

poff said:

·
Registered
194 Posts
What happens when you bust a chain when you are pushing that hard?
I have always wondered/feared that. I would think that you might rack your nuts on your top tube or do some sort of face plant?

True or not?

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Berryman said:
What happens when you bust a chain when you are pushing that hard?..
Every time I have broken a chain it has been one side only. The different noise it makes is enough warning to take a look at it before it finally gives way.

BTW I always carry a short length of spare chain for repairs so that I don't get stranded.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
It hurts...

...well not when this crank went, but once when I busted the chain on my gearie FS on a big push.

The result was searing pain in various places.

Sean

The Berryman said:
What happens when you bust a chain when you are pushing that hard?
I have always wondered/feared that. I would think that you might rack your nuts on your top tube or do some sort of face plant?

True or not?

Attachments

·
415 Posts
I hear ya on the pedal bending. Always the left hand side for me too. Anyone else have this problem ? I switched to Times this year and I'm hoping they'll hold up.

I've also broken cranks ssing - same cranks lasted 4 - 5 years on geared bikes.

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
poff said:
you poor thing!
you should try beefier parts! steel chainring bolt? steel chainrings?
as for the creaking, try some different grease or something.

i dont have these problems, but you must feel like a he-man when you break that stuff!

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
when you are running a big chainring (32t + ) and a big cog, there is actually *less* force on the chain than when pushing hard(ish) in a granny gear like 22-24 on a geared bike. i will agree though, that snapping a chain, when standing and mashing on the pedals as hard as you can in a way too high gear, must be very painful :eek:

Everything starts to creak 2 rides after regrease, especially stem/bar
i've had those problems, too. even though only ride onroad-SSPs/fixed.
creaking bars, creaking pedals, creaking somewhere in the drivetrain when pushing hard.... cleaning/regreasing only helps for a couple of days.

my geared MTBs have never had problems like these :confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.