Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I need a spot of assistance. I bought a RVL 426 coil used and put it on a bike I usually store vertically against the wall. At first the lockout stopped working and now after a few weeks of rain and riding the other bike, I noticed a puddle of oil under the fork. I searched the forum and read the manual so I now know i should not have stored the bike vertically. But here's the questions..

Is it ok if i just add the leaked oil beck into the fork and I'll be set or do I need to get some new orings for the compression assembly? Do all revelations leak if stored upside down for long enough, or is it normally just a matter of oil going past the rebound piston and mine actually leaks because the orings are bust?

Thanks for any info..

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
if you are storing it vertically, the oil could be coming out of the dust seals (RVLs have been reported of coming with dust seals but no oil seals, however the ones from the Pike and Reba work on them)

it should be fine to just replace the oil.... just make sure to find out where the oil is coming out first..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The oil is definitely leaking from the compression assembly and not through the seals. While I can understand a little leakage through the seals, I dont think the top assembly should leak when the bike is upside down.. But having read the other threads concerning this it seems to be somewhat normal.. Is it?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
crisillo said:
if you are storing it vertically, the oil could be coming out of the dust seals (RVLs have been reported of coming with dust seals but now oil seals, however the ones from the Pike and Reba work on them)
The SRAM/RockShox service drawing for the Revelation shows no separate oil seal. Mine was converted to have an oil seal when it had the Push Factory upgrade fitted by TFTuned. I have since reverted to no oil seal as I was having trouble keeping the foam rings full of oil to keep the action smooth. Seems to be a much better fork action in the original RockShox configuration (i.e. no separate oil seal)

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
There is also an oil ring at the top of the MoCo cartridge (above the threads) that could be damaged. There are also multiple O-Rings on the MoCo assembly itself that could cause oil to leak through. Rockshox doesn't sell the individual MoCO O-Rings but you can probably find o-rings that are a close enough fit at any auto or motorcycle parts store...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.