Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a summary of a trail survey done for Carvins Cove, and was surprised by the mileage breakdown. I had read that there were something like 44 miles of "trail" but there is not as much singletrack as I would have thought. It breaks down like this:

Singletrack: 24.5 miles
"Doubletrack" (e.g., Kerncliff, Jacob's Drop): 3.1 miles
Forest road (e.g., Happy Valley, Brushy Mountain) 17.2 miles.

I guess the fact that the doubletrack and forest roads are used in many of the loops I do (to connect singtrack) makes the singletrack seem longer. After 3 hours of riding, I remember the singletrack, and not the fire roads.

Not a big deal, I really like Kerncliff and 1000' Climb. Some of the prettiest parts of the Cove, IMO, and I like the variety.

Good news is that more singletrack trails are on the way:thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
What would you count Horse Pen double track or forest road? It is usually included in a mountain loop and is listed at 1.5 miles. I was suprised to see Gaulant at 2.54 miles as I have always measured about 2.2 miles, not sure as other trails measure very close to the listed distances (within 0.02).

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark_123 said:
What would you count Horse Pen double track or forest road? It is usually included in a mountain loop and is listed at 1.5 miles. I was suprised to see Gaulant at 2.54 miles as I have always measured about 2.2 miles, not sure as other trails measure very close to the listed distances (within 0.02).
Actually, I counted horse pen as singletrack when I was adding it up. Perhaps I was being generous. I guess I could have grouped it with doubletrack, which to me means a dirt road that has been unused for so long that it gets deteriorated and overgrown to the point that it is more of a trail than a road.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark_123 said:
I was suprised to see Gaulant at 2.54 miles as I have always measured about 2.2 miles, not sure as other trails measure very close to the listed distances (within 0.02).
Which upper section of Gauntlet are you measuring? Maybe they include the old and the new?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark_123 said:
Brian told me the plan is for training followed by work on on the new trail Saturday April 23.
I am so exited to get that piece of trail done:thumbsup: It is going to open up so many new loop possibilities. Of course, it is also going to mean Tuck-A-Way and Upper Comet getting a lot more traffic than they do now. I am interested to see how Upper Comet holds up.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I believe the biggest problem with upper comet is water erosion. That trail rides better between long dry spells when rubber tires get to do a bit of 'trail-scaping'

After a gully washer i find the trail to be an absolute mess.. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.