Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
With the optics its going to be artifacts and/or badly scattered beam pattern.

I do wonder why the major optics companies haven't gone AR yet. Though for "tight spot" type use, AR coating will mess that up, but something designed for wide pattern already it could be interesting.
An AR coating on the output face will allow a few more percent of light to exit, raising the efficiency. The sides of the optic will still internally reflect due to the angle that the light hits them. This is why the best prisms have AR coating on the input and output faces, but still function as prisms.

Major optics companies, like Canon and Nikon, probably do use AR coating on prisms.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Four Betty-R just seems like too much weight. For example, if I got a dozen of them for free and was not allowed to sell them, I still don't think I would put three on the bike. Maybe once to try it, but your tube would have a lot of packs strapped to it.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I have to admit, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the tech side of optics putting aside beam angle. I know a lot more about leds color rendition, die size etc. So it will be interesting to learn more about what makes a good vs poor optic excluding beam angle.

And yes I agree I'm sure too. JJ you have the 2016 Betty-R right? That betty should have come stock with the AR optics. How would you describe the beam pattern and are there any noticeable artifacts? Looking on Lupine's website,, based on the beam comparison the 2016 Betty looks to have a wider/smoother beam pattern.
Yes, I have the 2016 Betty R. I just moved it over from my road bike yesterday and I'm planning on riding it tonight. I had been riding with my 2400 lumen Wilma on the bike, but found that using that in combination with my 1200 lumen Pico gave some funny shadows on the beach I'm riding on. I thought I'd up the light content for kicks to see if that solves the problem (I think it will) with the Wilma on the helmet and the Betty on the bars. If nothing else, it ought to be funny.....

J.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Four Betty-R just seems like too much weight. For example, if I got a dozen of them for free and was not allowed to sell them, I still don't think I would put three on the bike. Maybe once to try it, but your tube would have a lot of packs strapped to it.
Like us,, he must have done that for novelty just cause he could. I'm betting the other set is for his wife or child.

·
RAKC
7,588 Posts
Same here, rsilvers if you have any spares, hit me up :p

Dont forget optics im talking of arent camera optics (those are prism/glass lens). TIR optics PMMA optics are completely different in the sense of who makes them. Cree and ledil are the big named, with all the ones from.small companies, light manufacturers we see. Messing with pmma optics in that sense takes more care as to where its coated and what beam pattern your trying to accomplish. everyone of my torches has ar lens. My DIY bar light I made has single side AR lexan (input side only) so the lexan over optics minimizes loss while not messing with beam pattern much. Tiny bit more spill over no lexan but no visual output difference.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I will surely write up my findings as I never had any complaints with the 6000K leds and original optics. I'm trying not to expect to much in my head in advance so I'm not swayed in the reality of what my view is once trying out the new set up.

From what I've read from a couple different posters,, I do expect some improvement in trail detail and output (not that I need anymore) as well as overall visual improvement if in fact the softer color rendition prevents the pupils from closing up as much as the cooler leds.

Maybe if stu06 is reading this he can shed some light on the beam pattern/shape, and if there are any artifacts.
Hey Indebt,

I took a long, hard look at the beam pattern during my ride this morning. Instead of a hot "spot", there's a large hot "plate." Outside of this "plate" the intensity drops off fairly quickly. Despite the presence of minor artifacts around the outside perimeter of the beam, these artifacts aren't distracting simply because of the sheer diameter of the beam itself.

I'm looking forward to your impressions after you receive your upgrades. Your idea of upgrading only one at a time will surely give you a more accurate comparison between the pre- and post-upgrade beam quality.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey Indebt,

I took a long, hard look at the beam pattern during my ride this morning. Instead of a hot "spot", there's a large hot "plate." Outside of this "plate" the intensity drops off fairly quickly. Despite the presence of minor artifacts around the outside perimeter of the beam, these artifacts aren't distracting simply because of the sheer diameter of the beam itself.

I'm looking forward to your impressions after you receive your upgrades. Your idea of upgrading only one at a time will surely give you a more accurate comparison between the pre- and post-upgrade beam quality.
Yes it will. I hope to find a spot to take photos as my back yard is only 88 feet wide. So may have to go to one of the near by fields to really see the full potential. Right now we have snow and it wont depict the trail detail I hope to see improved until it melts so will have to see how it goes.

Thanks for chiming in and describing the artifacts you have noticed. It is tough to squeeze seven XM-L2 leds into that small of a diameter with optics and get zero artifacts.

Correction!! I think the center led is a n XP-G2.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Good characterization of the Betty beam. I agree that it does have this sort of massive hot spot that is about the size of the main part of a Wilma beam.

J.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
RAKC
7,588 Posts
Indebt, actually I highly doubt the center is xp-g2. Too low of output and doesn't like higher currents.

However, if its smaller than the surrounding xm-l2s (which is lupine was smart, all emitters would be the emitter im about to say) its an XP-L. All Xp-Ls in that light head would have done really well as they are more efficient and have higher output vs xm-l2. They LOOK like xp-g2 at first glance, but put a g2 next to it and the yellow phosphor of the xp-l is much larger, same size as phosphor of xm-l2. That's the point of them, xm-l2 output in xp-g2 sized package.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Indebt, actually I highly doubt the center is xp-g2. Too low of output and doesn't like higher currents.

However, if its smaller than the surrounding xm-l2s (which is lupine was smart, all emitters would be the emitter im about to say) its an XP-L. All Xp-Ls in that light head would have done really well as they are more efficient and have higher output vs xm-l2. They LOOK like xp-g2 at first glance, but put a g2 next to it and the yellow phosphor of the xp-l is much larger, same size as phosphor of xm-l2. That's the point of them, xm-l2 output in xp-g2 sized package.
The betty-R only uses the outside six leds in all modes except the hidden mode (center led)designed for moonlight or map reading or the option of a red led. So the center led will not be receiving the same current as the XM-L2's.

I just checked Gretna again and the do say XPG.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Thanx To Those Who Brought Up Neutral Tint Information!!

I would like to thank those of you that brought up neutral tint lights and there benefits. I just received my two 4900K boards from Gretna,,, upgraded one and did some minor comparisons in the back yard as there is to much snow to ride right now.

I immediately noticed how much more accurate shrub and overall color detail was no matter what I lit up. Output is better than my older XM-L U2 board but probably not as much is if I had gone with the new XM-L2 U4 board due to its cooler tint.

I cant wait to get out on the trails with both upgraded lamps and really get a sense of the overall difference.

I did a before and after photo in my back yard and uploaded to my Photo bucket account but when I tried to upload just those two photo's, Photobucket would upload my whole library to MTBR, so sorry no photo's to show you.:madman:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Do any of you use photobucket? If so what am I doing wrong? I highlight just the two photos but it still uploads my whole library to MTBR?

·
Registered
676 Posts
It's good to hear you like the new 4900k board. Neutral really does make the colors look more natural which in my opinion makes for quicker recognition of what is on the trail ahead. I would love it if Neutral White would become the norm on bike lights, and cool white would be the option for those who still wanted it. I'm curious if anyone knows, do they offer Neutral for the Piko too?

As far as Photobucket, I can't help you there. Haven't used it in ages, but seems like you used to be able to just upload photos directly to MTBR. Maybe I'm wrong.?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I think now that lights have become more powerful and cool tint leds don't need to be a must to claim huge lumen claims things like neutral tint/ beam shape /UI/ remote options will be even more important. I really think in the next year or so they will claim a much larger percentage purchased.

Yes MaximusHQ the Piko is available in neutral tint but must be special ordered and assembled at Lupine Germany as unlike the Wilma and Betty it is not user replaceable.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

XM-L U2 emitters.

New XM-L2 4900K emitters.

New 4900K boards, Optics, AR lens cap

Thank you all who educated me on the warmer tint leds. Awesome!!

Wood shed is approx. 90 feet.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I've never heard of an AR optic. I would suppose that the coating would be applied to the part of the optic that sits closest to the emitter (?)...The concept behind AR is that the coating is supposed to lessen the reflective bounce-off from the light source ( giving more light transmission ). I can't see adding it to the front of the optic would really do anything since the optic itself is designed to shape and diffuse the output....but what the hell do I know...;)
Sorry!!!! (My mistake) as it isn't an AR optic, rather a AR front lens cap.

101 - 120 of 183 Posts