Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't usually post "local" rides here, but it seems we've been lacking trail photos in this forum lately. The forecast called for up to one foot of snow for the Sierra foothills today. But when I woke up this morning and checked the weather, the snow had missed the Auburn State Recreation Area by only a few miles. And the prediction was for plenty of sun but cool. But after riding in the cold rain last week, sunny and dry sounded fine to me.

The Auburn State Recreation Area is a huge forest about 30 miles east of Sacramento. It is my favorite non-Tahoe local place to ride. There was a bit of frost, some leftover hail, iced over puddles, and still frozen trails in the shaded areas. But the trails were in great shape. I didn't set any speed records. I was just happy to be in the sun and I stopped to take a few photos here and there.

Hillsides of Manzanitas in bloom. Hummingbirds going crazy over them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice!

I run those trails every time I visit friends in Auburn and can't help but envision riding there. I have been out a couple of times when the lower trails are are marked for the Western States and always wondered why they don't run a MTB race over the same trail, either before or after the run. It seems lke it would be an awesome ride!

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
MyName1sMud said:
That's awesome dude!

I would love to have that kind of area to ride in.

Too bad yall get EQ's or I would move that direction.
We get an earthquake (a bad one) every what, hundred years or so? Memorable ones were in 1906 and 1989, apparently we're due for another big one soon, even in 1906 the fire caused more damage than the quake. The small quakes are fun though, just a bit of shaking, it feels like a roller coaster or something... :D
I'm assuming you're on the East/South coast? Hurricane season? What the hell is a natural disaster season?? :p

Wherewolf, every time I'm on 80 going through Auburn I think of all the unknown trails in those mountains.... Hopefully I'll be moving east into the Sierras next year.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Earthquakes

MyName1sMud said:
Too bad yall get EQ's or I would move that direction.
California is a huge state and only a few places, mostly near the coast, get earthquakes. In one year spent in Columbus, Ohio I experienced a bigger earthquake than I ever have in 20 years of living in California. I would bet that yearly hurricane damage in Mississippi greatly exceeds earthquake damage in California. And we have mountains to mountain bike in :D

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Nice shots

Nice shots.

I've been so far under the radar lately, I don't think I can be called a lurker. But, it is nice popping in and seeing your pics.

STinGa

·
Truly Doneski
541 Posts
Those shots are great. It looks like that would be an amazing place to ride. The flower shot is especially beautiful

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.