Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two wheelsets built up by Chad @ Red Barn in the past 6 or 7 months or so.

Both wheelsets use the following:

King HD rear hub with stainless driveshell
King 20mm front hub
DT Comp butted spokes
Brass nips
Velox rim strips

The set I have built up on DT 5.1 rims (500g each) are 937g for the front, 1175g for the rear.

The set build up on Syncros DS28 rims (550g each) are 971g for the front, 1184g for the rear.

That's a 34g difference in the front, and 9g difference in the rear. Chad recommended the DS28's as step up from the 5.1's in terms of strength. I am guessing since the DS28's are a taller rim, allowing you to use shorter spokes, the adde weight of the rims are offset by the weight saved by the shorter spokes.

·
The Punk Hucker
3,755 Posts
rscecil007 said:
I've had two wheelsets built up by Chad @ Red Barn in the past 6 or 7 months or so.

Both wheelsets use the following:

King HD rear hub with stainless driveshell
King 20mm front hub
DT Comp butted spokes
Brass nips
Velox rim strips

The set I have built up on DT 5.1 rims (500g each) are 937g for the front, 1175g for the rear.

The set build up on Syncros DS28 rims (550g each) are 971g for the front, 1184g for the rear.

That's a 34g difference in the front, and 9g difference in the rear. Chad recommended the DS28's as step up from the 5.1's in terms of strength. I am guessing since the DS28's are a taller rim, allowing you to use shorter spokes, the adde weight of the rims are offset by the weight saved by the shorter spokes.
Very interesting. Such a small difference in weight for a much stronger rim. That's good to know!

EDIT : Messed up with the DT 4.1. I don't really know how they compare after all!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.