Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bicycling has some new information https://thisjustin.bicycling.com/2006/07/this_just_in_sp.html

"While the stunningly successful FACT carbon mainframe remains unchanged Specialized significantly upped the ante with is own FlowControl Brain shock. Last year’s shock used an inertial valve that stayed closed until bump forces caused the Brass Mass to dislodge and open the flow ports. A hydraulic “timer” controlled the process resulting in a minute but discernable lag. In ’07 the Brass Mass relies on oil flow to open and close it. This allows for instant performance. "

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen, you have just seen a picture of my next bike.

Is that the 07 XTR crank? Looks like SRAM shifters so SRAM RDR (sure hope so).

Can't tell what kind of brakes those are.

Wow.

·
Super Moderator
20,787 Posts
XTR Brakes

Guppie58 said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, you have just seen a picture of my next bike.

Is that the 07 XTR crank? Looks like SRAM shifters so SRAM RDR (sure hope so).

Can't tell what kind of brakes those are.

Wow.
Those brakes are 07 XTR too, I recognize the rotors.... since the new XTR has separate brake levers (non dual control), Spec could have built the bike with Shimano brakes and SRAM shifters.

Looks very nice!!

cheers,
Cris

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
thats a VERY solid looking bike, XTR brakes, SRAM shifters XTR cranks, Crossmax wheels, thomson stem and seatpost... wow. Would have liked Avid ultimate brakes but hey. IMHO last year's color was better.

I'm a bit curious about how that new rear shock works though, any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
new frame, new shock, new parts group= $7100+ the bike looks great but the fact carbon scares the crap out of me, ive seen enough crashes on carbon road frames with just the ground and they can put you out a few grand. i cant imagine when you factor in trees, rocks and other uneven terrain. one small frey can spell disaster since carbon doesnt bend. ill take M5 on a marathon and save $3000 for upgrades and accessories.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Road frames are usually built not to handle crashes/hard impacts (as they're not usual part of road cycling) - they're made as light as possible while maintaining stiffness. This does not mean that carbon is a fragile material. Carbon can be used to make components really stiff (and at the same time also flexible in some direction if wanted). If you compare an aluminum frame that weights X kg and a carbon frame that weights the same, the carbon frame has a good chance of being stiffer.
I've seen aluminum FS-frames that weight 2,5 kg. They've had less travel, but considering the carbon-aluminum difference, the Enduro SL has a good chance of being stonger than those 2,5 kg aluminum frames.
It's true though that aluminum can handle hits [without actually braking] which could damage carbon frames beyond repair, but those hits would damage the alu-frame severely aswell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Spesh, Scott, Giant etc all report fewer warranty issues with their carbon frames than with their aluminium frames. It seems carbon is much more crash resistant than you would think...

And that Epic is the most beautiful bike I have ever seen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree with you that that is incredible and i would love to have it, but im suprized they didnt do the full xtr group since it is all new and everyone wants to try it. now im going to play the devil's advicate. you say other companies report fewer problems with carbon, ok but it that because it it better or that fact that there are significantly more aluminum on the planet then there are carbon? full carbon mtb frames are still relitivly new and cost a lot more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts