Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Friday night I ordered some Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs... and it's looking like I might have messed up; I didn't realize there was an "old" and "new" version.

While I'm waiting for the guys from Bikeman to get back to me (they've helped me out in the past so i'm sure they'll work with me), i'm just trying to wrap my head around all the differences.

One of the reasons I ordered the Hope hubs is because the front can be converted from QR to 15 / 20mm thru axles as well as the rear to 10 & 12mm axles. Can the "old" hope hubs be converted like this or do I have to make sure I get a specific model year or part number to have this feature?

Are there any other difference I should be aware of? (other than possibly the need to swap the bearings right away if they're the "old" version)

I was also considering the Salsa convertible hubset but the Bikeman site lists the front axle type as 9x1... but aren't most front hubs 10x1?

Add to the confusion for me... the Hope front hubs are listed as 10x1, but the hope skewer set on fatbikes.com is listed as 9x1 front / 10x1 rear

So i'm hoping someone could help translate/clarify some of this for me so I know what i'm talking about when I talk to the guys from bikeman tomorrow :crazy:

Edit: I'm running an O'beast fork... spec says 10x1; one of the reasons I shy'd away from the Salsa's and went Hope. But now i'm wondering if they really are interchangeable?

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
Ok... The Carver fork has regular QR dropouts, so they're 9mm in the front. Rear wheels that can accept the 10mm rws type skewer are similar to Shimano Saint.
On the front, you can use either regular QR or a 9mm thru.
Rear, it's QR or 10mm thru.
The old Hopes are straight up QR ONLY.
I don't know how to identify the newer ones except by POE. The new ones are 40.

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an example about my hub confusion. Even on Bikemans site, the skewer set lists the front as 9x1, but both versions of the front hub say 10x1..

Skewer set: Bikeman Hope Red Stainless Skewer Set Fatsno 135mm/170mm
Pro2 Evo front hub: Bikeman Hope Pro2 Evo Fatsno Front Disc Hub 32 hole QR 135mm Front Disc Hub Disc Spacing Red
Fatsno front hub: Bikeman Hope Fatsno Front Fat Bike Hub 135mm 32h

... and i'm not which one, or if both of those fronts are convertible via endcaps... or if the "new" hubs aren't even listed on their site yet; which I guess I'll figure out when I talk to them.

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok... The Carver fork has regular QR dropouts, so they're 9mm in the front. On the front, you can use either regular QR or a 9mm thru.
They list the front as 10x1 here Bikeman Carver Bikes O'Beast Full Carbon Fork, fits 4.8'' tires
... so presuming that's a typo and it's really 9x1; does that mean [hopefully] the Hope front hubs are actually 9x1 as well (as their skewer set implies)?

The old Hopes are straight up QR ONLY.
I don't know how to identify the newer ones except by POE. The new ones are 40.
Thanks for the confirmation. Definitely want the option to convert them to TA. I'm building up a nice wheelset and don't want to be limited in fork options in the future.

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roger that... seems like the front Q/R dimensions flying around are probably typos.

The Fatsno link is actually what confused me from the start. I thought that "Fatsno" and "Hope Pro 2 Evo" were interchangeable terms for the same hubs based on that link. Or maybe they are, and it's just a matter of getting the "newer" ones to be convertible? (seems 50/50 right now for if the old ones are convertible or not lol)

Appreciate the quick responses guys :)

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roger that guys. Looks like i'll be returning that order before it ships... good thing they have a good return policy!

And man I must have had one too many brews Friday night. It wasn't bikeman that I ordered through, it was bikewagon :lol:

Back to square one and more hub research!

Thanks again for everyones help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
280 Posts
order them from cyclesport uk, they have front hubs in 15mm and QR that are convertible and the prices are very good, just takes a bit of time to arrive is all.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I just went through this process as well, and indeed just happened to order from cyclesport uk, as well. I also asked Hope about the difference between old and new. Here's what Hope replied:

"...we now make a FDS (Front Disc Spaced) hub for FDS forks and 15mm. The new ones have the letters FDS etched small under the logo."

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cyclesport definitely has some good prices! How long did it take you to get them? Not that i'm in a rush.... i tore the bike apart this weekend to get the frame powdercoated so it'll be a while before it's back together..

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There are some subtle difference in the old and new. Flange size is a little different, I don't have the specifics right in front of me but can get them if you think they will help you. Not that I want to confuse you more but I have to ask. Did you specify front or rear disc spacing for the front hub? Are you going to be building the wheels?

Steven

cyclesport definitely has some good prices! How long did it take you to get them? Not that i'm in a rush.... i tore the bike apart this weekend to get the frame powdercoated so it'll be a while before it's back together..

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mine was ~ 12 days to Alaska... they said it takes a bit of time to get the hubs from Hope

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here you go....

image.jpg

There are some subtle difference in the old and new. Flange size is a little different, I don't have the specifics right in front of me but can get them if you think they will help you. Not that I want to confuse you more but I have to ask. Did you specify front or rear disc spacing for the front hub? Are you going to be building the wheels?

Steven

·
Classic weekend warrior
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Steven
I haven't ordered another set yet. The order I placed was for the old ones so FDS vs RDS wasn't an option.

I will be ordering FDS (if I get the Hopes) so I don't have to use my rotor spacer.

And yes, i'll be building the wheels... with the help of a friend who builds his own. I won't be getting the spokes until I have the hubs in hand and can measure them.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Nice work, some good information.

Interesting, I thought the Pro ll was the new hub and the Fat Snow was old.

I haven't ordered another set yet. The order I placed was for the old ones so FDS vs RDS wasn't an option.

I will be ordering FDS (if I get the Hopes) so I don't have to use my rotor spacer.

And yes, i'll be building the wheels... with the help of a friend who builds his own. I won't be getting the spokes until I have the hubs in hand and can measure them.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I ordered them last week so I'm still waiting to receive them. Hopefully it's just 7 - 10 days, like another UK-based online bike shop. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if I wait a few weeks too, similar to a Germany-based online bike shop from which I order tires.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts