Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 189 Posts

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Here's a new vid.
However, it isn't all Honzo riding! I am riding my Honzo but the vid is focused on the crew that I coach through the summer. I have been coaching/riding with these guys for five years now. They are now 12yo.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Well done man, great job helping them out/coaching/leading/teaching.

Im gonna bug you, along these lines. What bikes are they riding, and how tall/short are they? Are they big enough to actually use much suspension? Looks like on some of the wood features I dont see much/any movement.

My wifes little brother is now about 11, and I wouldnt mind getting him on some trails.

At this point finding a bike to fit him is going to be a problem. H is not very tall. I dont hang out with a lot of 11 year olds, so I dont know how his height compares to others though... I have a steel Trek 820 in size midget, but its a heavy bugger, and he should be out of it in not too long. If he likes it, some more $$ may flow for a nicer bike.

Looks like at least one of them is a Giant?

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well done man, great job helping them out/coaching/leading/teaching.

Im gonna bug you, along these lines. What bikes are they riding, and how tall/short are they? Are they big enough to actually use much suspension? Looks like on some of the wood features I dont see much/any movement.

My wifes little brother is now about 11, and I wouldnt mind getting him on some trails.

At this point finding a bike to fit him is going to be a problem. H is not very tall. I dont hang out with a lot of 11 year olds, so I dont know how his height compares to others though... I have a steel Trek 820 in size midget, but its a heavy bugger, and he should be out of it in not too long. If he likes it, some more $$ may flow for a nicer bike.

Looks like at least one of them is a Giant?
They are in and around the 5ft height range. Maybe slightly under. I have a hard time guessing their heights because I'm 6'6" and kids are always way smaller than me!

There are several Giants under the crew. A Reign, a ReignSX, and a Cypher. There's also a Trek but I'm not sure of the model. And a Kona hardtail that has a clapped out fork.
All of the FS bikes all have air suspension front and back. They use these bikes for both pedalling and in the bike park. Their suspension is set up correctly.
I'm not sure what you're looking at in the vid but there aren't any massive drops or g-outs that would have them using up all the suspension. If you're looking at the teeter-totter sections these kids actually have skills to absorb the terrain like you're supposed regardless of suspension.
(Let me put it out there, these kids could probably school a large majority of people both in and out of the park!)
All of my older group started out on hardtails.

The biggest issue that I've seen and still see in "kids" bikes are crappy components, crappy suspension, stupid tall gear ratios and frames that weigh a tonne!. And, these are just the hardtails!
I realize that kids grow out of bikes but if the bike is built well the resale value should be decent enough to help finance the next bike.

If there is just only one change that you could make to a crappy to mediocre kids bike is put the right gearing on it!!!!
Change the chainring to the smallest you can get if it is a single ring up front - 32T. And, change out the rear cassette so that it has, at least, a 32T if not a 34T. For some reason most kids bike come with a DH type geared cassette! The biggest being 26T in the rear and a 36T in the front! WTF!
Most of North America views biking as a kids past time so why should manufacturers put in any effort into making good kids bikes?

All that being said, a lot of the kids in the program that I coach in just deal with the bike that they are on. It is unbelievably impressive what they can ride on a crappy bike! Although, the number of crappy bikes in our program of over 200 kids is quite low. Whistler is a bubble in a way. Most of the parents ride and understand that the bike their child(ren) are on needs to be a solid build with the right components and light weight. In fact one of the girls in the program has a custom painted Chromag!!

Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble and a rant but I hope I answered some of your question(s)!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have no doubt about their skills, but rather the issues I have found in setting up suspension.

The spot that had me wondering about suspension wasnt the ladders, but on the teeter around 2:25. The first one went off the side, then the second rode it. You could see the suspension move under him. Then, the third bike comes over and you barely see any movement with the fork. Next kid, some movement of the suspension.

I have ran into some problems with setting my wife's bike up, and found that the air suspension on a "WSD" bike was much easier to set up than on a "mens" bike for her and her light weight. Add another 30 or 40lbs, and Im sure it would be simpler.

And I am with you on the kids bike crap that is put out. I have really hesitated in getting a nicer bike for him until he shows interest, but I know how much better a nice bike can make things, especially with what is out here in the US.

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A Pictorial (Story) Part 1

I recently went on a mini vacation.
The first stop was Squamish.
Then on to the Sunshine Coast. (There'll be videos from that portion in the near future.)

The pictures here tell of my ride in Squamish.
This is all shot on the GoPro from several different mountings.
Enjoy!

This is a new climbing trail in the Diamond Head trail area. It is very well built and the grade isn't too strenuous. It is way better than climbing up the dirt road and choking on shuttler's dust!
GOPR2788.JPG

Enjoying the view.
GOPR2792.JPG

Climbing up from Ring Creek crossing.
GOPR2812.JPG

Ripping STP. This is a shared moto/mtb trail.
GOPR2822.JPG

STP. Some pretty tech climbing sections!
GOPR2827.JPG

STP. Out in the clear cut nearing the end of the major climbing.
GOPR2838.JPG

On Hoods In The Woods connector getting close to the main descent on Somewhere Over There.
GOPR2865.JPG

Continued in Part 2 below.

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Part 2

Now onto the main descent on Somewhere Over There.

Hauling!
GOPR2981.JPG

More hauling!
GOPR2968.JPG

Uh, Panty Line? Uh, no!
GOPR3016.JPG

Into the rock faces!
GOPR3022.JPG

Almost a tilt shift shot with the GoPro.
GOPR3023.JPG

And, if the plain rock faces were't enough a ladder is thrown into the middle of one!
GOPR3025.JPG

Yep, still on rock.
GOPR3028.JPG

Continued in Part 3 below.

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Part 3

The descending on Somewhere Over There continues!

This corner has high consequences if you don't turn enough!
GOPR3032.JPG

Now onto the bridge section of the trail.
GOPR3033.JPG

And, some more.
GOPR3035.JPG

The last bridge before a short up.
GOPR3041.JPG

More fast loamy goodness to be had!
GOPR3081.JPG

Done!
And a great view to finish the trail off with Mt Mamquam in the distance.
GOPR3140.JPG

A burn down an old logging road into town to finish the ride off!
GOPR3197.JPG
Sweetness!

The Honzo continues to surprise me with what it can ride! The frame is solid!
The parts (wheels and fork) are definitely being pushed past their limits sometimes!

I hope you enjoyed the ride!

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A Rockwork Orange
Rockwork Orange.jpg

Babylon By Bike
Biking 178.JPG
This last pic is from a ride yesterday. 1035m/3400ft of climbing for some solid tech descending. I worked the Revelation hard on this ride. My wrists still hurt!

·
Registered
196 Posts
The part where you got wedged underneath the tree was pretty awesome, haha :thumbsup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
nice

Those trails look sweet. I made it to Squamish this summer with my Honzo. Haven't made it up to Whistler with it yet. Any way one Honzo rider can get a tour from a another Honzo rider? :thumbsup:

Here's me ripping my honzo in my woods.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 189 Posts