Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Wow, I'm stoked for you and your wife, that looks real smooth!
The rock slab looks quite intimidating, I'm sure if you stand on top of it, it's even more so!
I recently tried to ride down a rather steep and bumpy chute in a gravelpit near my hometown, which i'd only walked up and down before that day.
it ended quite abruptly after the second attempt with several ingravings on my shin, courtesy of my atlas pedals :)
IMG_20201004_080349.jpg

so last weekend, I geared up proper, and returned to session the section once more. there are two lines down that chute, rider's left is a bit easier, rider's right has a quite nasty "crux" where i positioned my phone cam, because I was curious if and especially how (in terms of body position and riding technique) i would be able to clear it.
i think it's quite visible that the initial attempts were doomed from the get go, looking at the locked elbows and the rearward body position. i also remember that my eyes were fixated at the "crux" instead of looking far (enough) ahead. luckily, after several "rehersals", i managed to put my weight over the bars, and improve the body and eye position. was quite a satisfying experience.
caveat: this vid contains 1 minute of probable boredom...

of course, it looks almost flat on camera, but i hope that the "uphill" part demonstrates that it is in fact rather steep.

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Daayyyuumm, @Rynee! Welcome to the scarred shin club!
I have two big scars on my left shin from a really stupid wipe out! I was trying to ride by just balancing on the seat with no other points of contact (no hands on bar or feet on pedals). It went well until it suddenly didn't. lol! My shin looked like hamburger and i ended up with 9 stitches! I did make it about 20m, though!

Fun vid! It looks like a fun loose technical chute! It looks rather jagged with the rocks!
You're right with your analysis of your body position. You were more successful when you were closer to being over the bars. I have found that especially on hardtails you need to ride the front of the bike more. Even compared to the new geo full suspension bikes.

It's hit that point in the season here where it rains most of the time and is cold. Although, not cold enough for the rain to fall as snow which makes it worse. That makes it way harder to generate motivation to go out and ride!
I don't mind riding in these temperatures just not in these temps when it's raining. I have some mtb pants on order so, hopefully, that'll make it easier to get out on the bike.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The giant occupying the mountain thought he could block our way up by throwing obstacles in our way...

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Looking good, @Rynee!

I've actually shifted to snowboarding now. It'll need to be an exceptionally good weather day for me to drag the bike down to Squamish now.

This is what I've been riding for the past few weeks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Whoa that looks amazing as well. I'm not sure if I'll get to enjoy the solitude of a proper ski tour at all this winter. Let's hope for the best and expect the worst...Covid be damned

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 · (Edited)
First ride of the year!
It was all on snow but it was surprisingly fun!

A packed snow Forest Service road for the climb.

I was a little concerned with sliding around on the snow riding across the bridge. But, I needn't have worried.

This section of trench trail was mostly a push.

Then the down! It was exciting! I managed not to wipeout. I definitely had a few close calls!

·
Bnerd
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
These are probably my last couple of ride pics of my HonzoST for a long while.
Hopefully in a year or so I'll post again with my HonzoST Monstercross build!

Here's a couple of forest bathing shots from my last couple of rides.
I may have a G1 super bike now but I still enjoy riding a hardtail!

PXL_20210526_204220398.jpg

PXL_20210528_211739264.jpg

Happy riding!

181 - 189 of 189 Posts