Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a quick slap-bang edit I threw together from yesterday's ride on the Honzo.

I'm loving the bike!
It does have a tendency to get me in trouble with my line choices though! Because the bigger wheels smooth out the chop I find myself riding more tech lines at speed than I would normally ride on a hardtail. Every so often with those line choices I am reminded harshly that I am still on a hardtail!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nice, Whistler has always been a place I really want to ride :thumbsup:

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another one!

This trail system is right beside the centre of town in Lost Lake Park. All of these trails are municipality built! And, each section is named after a Frank Zappa song. Locally these trails are called the Zappa Trails.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
196 Posts
You are super lucky to have such great looking trails so close by :thumbsup: makes me want to move out to the Pac NW :D

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since my Honzo is out of action due to freehub issues (warranty issues) I am going to live vicariously through some footage that I've been sitting on for the past month.

Here's another vid.

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A couple of shots.
I'm trying out new GoPro mounting spots on the bike.
These pics are from tonight's ride. I had it set to take pics every 30 seconds. The ride was a little under an hour. I have an idea for a video for these pics.
GOPR2437.JPG

GOPR2443.JPG

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A quick edit I put together after tonight's ride.
The event is a weekly ride/race put on by the local mtn bike association: WORCA.
Local businesses sponsor the Thursday events throughout the summer. It's toonie ($2) to ride the course. The $2 also includes an apres dinner and beer(s) served after the ride.

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just changed out the stock Maxxis Ardent tires to Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 front and Nobby Nic 2.35 rear.
Holy Bananas! It's a huge improvement!
I actually have faith that the tires are going to hook up while railing hard through corners rather than letting go unexpectedly like the Ardents!

GOPR2615.JPG

GOPR2634.JPG

GOPR2695.JPG

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How's the clearance with the rear 2.35 Nobby Nic? Same as with the Ardent?
The clearance is good. The Nobby Nic 2.35 is just slightly bigger than the Ardent 2.25. (I realize that with the numbers posted that sounds like an obvious statement. But we all know that tire manufacturers don't use the same "standardized ruler" when measuring their tires!)
Visually the Nobby Nic looks like it has more volume than the Ardent but there is still plenty of space in the frame.
I run my dropouts at the shortest settings.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that combo, as soon as my 2 sets of Ardent 2.4/2.25 run out lol.

And any chance I could trouble you for a pic of the rear clearance?

The 2.25 Ardent with the sliders all the way in are already quite close to my comfort levels coming from a 2.4 Michelin on my TransAM and still fitting a finger in between.

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into that combo, as soon as my 2 sets of Ardent 2.4/2.25 run out lol.

And any chance I could trouble you for a pic of the rear clearance?

The 2.25 Ardent with the sliders all the way in are already quite close to my comfort levels coming from a 2.4 Michelin on my TransAM and still fitting a finger in between.
The Ardents are "okay" when it's dry and going in a straight line however as soon there is anything off camber or wet they blow!
You must have some seriously clumpy mud in your area if you are worried about clearance issues with the Ardents!

Here's the clearance pics of the 2.35 Nobby Nic.
I have no worries about clearance with this tire. My wheel even has a very slight wobble and there is still no worry.
Admittedly, when I was running the original wheelset I definitely had them rub a few times when cornering hard! (Which, by the way, I'm still waiting on a warranty response from Kona 2 months later!!)

P7286502.JPG

P7286503.JPG

P7286504.JPG

That's 6.5mm. (I think that's like 13/57ths in the crazy non-metric non-decimal American measurement! :D)
P7286505.JPG

P7286506.JPG

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Thanks for the quick pics, clearance looks awesome on those!

But it looks like you got one of the earlier Honzo frames, the pre-production samples with the longer chainstays (and with heavier tubing and some were missing guides for the dropper). There was a mix up with some of these frames when they released and a thread about it. :(

Pre-production chainstay, longer CS length

Correct chainstay

·
Bnerd
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have the correct chainstays.
I had the bike upside down for the picture. So that is the view of the bottom of the chainstays.
From the top my 'stays look like the ones you posted.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts