Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some extra time Sunday so I weighed all the bikes in the house using a digital bathroom scale which has proven to be quite accurate to within 1/2 pound.

When you see the weights you will see why these do not belong in the "Save some weight" forum. All weights are less pedals.

Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe (17", 23.5" TT, SID, full XT, Mavic 717 rims w/XT hubs, Python Air lite tires and Magura Louise discs): 24.5 lbs. - Frame alone weighted 4.25 lbs.

Santa Cruz Chameleon (Large w/Pike, Sun Rhyno rims with Hadley 20mm front hub, XT rear, Nevegal tires 2.5/2.35, Deore/LX drivetrain, Brooklyn Machine Works DH Saddle, E-13 Bash guard, Magura Louise FR brakes): 30.5 lbs

Giant OCR Composite 1 (Medium, all stock): 19 lbs.

Giant FCR 3 (XS, all stock): 21.5 lbs.

GT Avalanche (Circa 2000, XS, RS Pslyo, Nevegals 2.35/2.1, Thudbuster post, Avid Mechanical Discs): 28.5 lbs.

GT Zaskar (Circa 1998, Medium, RS Judy Race, Continental 2.2 tires, Avid Mech disc front, Avid Mag V-Brake rear - nothing intentionally light): 25 lbs.

GT Avalanche (Circa 1997, Medium, stock except for Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes and '98 Judy SL fork): 27 lbs.

Nothing too surprising except how light the Zaskar was. I built it up for my son out of some of the better parts lying around the house but light weight was not a goal. It just came out that way.

Imagine how this thread will be hijacked by the "weight weenies."
:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
04 Giant NRS-air (18 in?) somewhere around 23 lbs, depending on the amount of mud currently on it
all stock except for an easton carbon bar

06 Felt Fc- Dura-ace, 105 AND Ultegra, and assorted hand-me-downs 16 lbs

·
Registered
23 Posts
lol, I would have to say you're the weight weenie. Out of all those bikes only one weighs over 30 pounds. Not that that's a bad thing.

Ok, here I go.

Bullit (med) with 7" Rissie Trixxy (yeah I know but it's all I have), Mavic 217, king hubs/head set, Race face prodigy xc cranks, Maxxis Minion single ply and what ever cheep O tubes, XTR all the way around. 36.8 pounds

Brooklyn racelink, shiver, Mavic 317 rims, Sram 9.0 (rear only) 50.8 pounds

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Ventana El Feugo - 25 even. It's got all the toys.
Interloc - Trusty steel hardtail - 23 and a couple of oz. Toys again.
Univega - Tusty beater bike - another steel hardtail - 25 and a half. Left-over parts from several other bikes. I could easily lose weight from this one if I ever really wanted to... but really don't have the need to do that to this ride.

They're all XC rides, and I'm spoiled.

Since I'm 200 pounds, can't go ahead and weight weenie 'em all the way out, but here they're durable enough for the way I ride (and then some) and they are plenty flickable when I ride 'em

JmZ

PS - Added photos of Interloc and El Feugo. No pics of the Univega hiding on the commuter.

Rev Bubba said:
Had some extra time Sunday so I weighed all the bikes in the house using a digital bathroom scale which has proven to be quite accurate to within 1/2 pound.

When you see the weights you will see why these do not belong in the "Save some weight" forum. All weights are less pedals.

Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe (17", 23.5" TT, SID, full XT, Mavic 717 rims w/XT hubs, Python Air lite tires and Magura Louise discs): 24.5 lbs. - Frame alone weighted 4.25 lbs.

Santa Cruz Chameleon (Large w/Pike, Sun Rhyno rims with Hadley 20mm front hub, XT rear, Nevegal tires 2.5/2.35, Deore/LX drivetrain, Brooklyn Machine Works DH Saddle, E-13 Bash guard, Magura Louise FR brakes): 30.5 lbs

Giant OCR Composite 1 (Medium, all stock): 19 lbs.

Giant FCR 3 (XS, all stock): 21.5 lbs.

GT Avalanche (Circa 2000, XS, RS Pslyo, Nevegals 2.35/2.1, Thudbuster post, Avid Mechanical Discs): 28.5 lbs.

GT Zaskar (Circa 1998, Medium, RS Judy Race, Continental 2.2 tires, Avid Mech disc front, Avid Mag V-Brake rear - nothing intentionally light): 25 lbs.

GT Avalanche (Circa 1997, Medium, stock except for Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes and '98 Judy SL fork): 27 lbs.

Nothing too surprising except how light the Zaskar was. I built it up for my son out of some of the better parts lying around the house but light weight was not a goal. It just came out that way.

Imagine how this thread will be hijacked by the "weight weenies."
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow. I overbuild my bikes then.

2000 GT Zaskar LE w/Hope minis, Z1 coil/oil, Raceface/XT drivetrain, Thompsons. comes in just under 30lbs. must be the fork and wheelset.

06 Azonic Steelhead. Hayes mechs 8"front, 6" rear. Z1 FR. truvative/XT. Thompsons. Azonic Butcher wheels. 42 lbs and change of stair gapping, boulder eating, loading dock dropping pig iron.

05 ventana El Cuervo. Risse champ w/9" (whats wrong with Risse?) MRP/XT Romic, Hayes 9. 51lbs of plush love.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
GIANT Trance3 22"/XL (with upgrades)
DRIVETRAIN = XT HT2 crankset, XT FD & RD, LX M570 cassette, HG73 chain
SUSPENSION = RS REBA SL fork, FOX FloatR shock
WHEELS = Mavic XM 321 to XT M756 hubs (bomb proof so I'm told, but heavy MOFOs)
TYRES = Nevegal 2.1 Stick-E, FireXC Pro 2.0
Easton EA50 seatpost, Bontrager Race Light HB & Stem 31.8
SADDLE = WTB RocketV

WEIGHT = 29.2lbs

SPECIALIZED RockHopper Sport (Rigid Chromo beast)
Stock except for LX RD, Easton EA30 HB, Flyte Carbon Saddle, Lighter seatpost (no brand) and 27" road wheels (circa 1990 or before, chromo and alu off my old collegs racer)

WEIGHT = 27.2lbs

Funny thing is I just did a road century on this damn rigid this morning, and was curious as to it's weight - 2lbs lighter than my 4" full sus Trance :yikes:

used my fairly new electronic bathroom scale to weigh these 2 bikes, so weight may not be super accurate.

·
silly person
629 Posts
These are very approximate (within a pound I suspect):

Raceline Expert Hardtail, viewable here. Not very stock at all and approx 29lb

Mongoose Teocali Super, viewable here. Mostly stock other than pedals and grips, approx 29lb. Heavy frame on that beastie.

·
eminence front
367 Posts
Just weighed in mine the same way (digital bathroom scale) a few days ago.

36lbs - '05 Jamis Komodo, only stock items are cranks and stem. Keep in mind this is built for strength, used for dirt jumping & a little trail riding.

My brothers '06 Kona Howler weighs in at 38lbs, and I weigh in at a measly 127lbs :thumbsup: Yes im fully grown.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
JmZ said:
Since I'm 200 pounds, can't go ahead and weight weenie 'em all the way out, but here they're durable enough for the way I ride (and then some) and they are plenty flickable when I ride 'em

JmZ
Weight weenie them out? Are you serious? My all Carbon Fuel 110 weighs more than your bikes.

For a guy that weighs 200 pounds, those are some seriously light bikes.

Don't look now, but you be a weight weenie:D

·
No no...the OTHER LA.
342 Posts
Just happened to weigh my 2002 rocky mountain element (FS) this morning. First time I've done that this year.

I emptied the saddle bag of all my "survival equipment", left bag and pump on and it came in at 26.8 pounds. I did this experiment because, last I weighed it, it came in at 28.6 pounds. What did I do to lose almost two pounds? Switched wheelset from entry-level mavics (139s) to Botranger race-lites. That's it. HOT [email protected] a good wheelset makes a difference! The thing climbs like a new animal also.

·
Premium Member
7,610 Posts
Large Turner Burner 28.5
Large Titus Riddler 25 on the nose
Large Titus Drop-U 19.8 or so.

If you want to see the builds, I have posted them before.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
A couple of mine...

Access hardtail, large. Black Super Air fork, Weight weenie 24 spoke noodlemaster front wheel, carbon bars and post, light seat, foam grips, Performance Bike rim brakes, XT cranks, home built rear wheel with roadie hub, wellgo ti pedals: 23 lbs

'03 Stumpy FSR-XC, Reba Race fork, Hope XC hubs with Bonti Mustang rims, Hope Mono Mini brakes, carbon bars, XT drivetrain (with cheapo cassette ATM), LX Hollowtech cranks: A portly 28 lbs. How the heck did that happen?

Both are holding up just fine under my 200 pound ass.

I'll post some more later.

·
The Silent Rider
303 Posts
Not too worried about weight but here......

are my three steeds.

Yeti 575 stock with mallet pedals on........32

Trek 4900 rebuilt with egg beaters.........26

Giant OCR2 stock with egg beaters.......21

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.