Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm edging closer to buying a 2004 GF 293, but have a some questions I haven't been able to get a handle on by reading the threads.

(1) comments on the 2003 GF 292/293 are full of negatives about the BB height, but there aren't any negative BB height posts for the 2004. Did Fisher fix the problem, and is it completely gone?

(2) do the 2004 versions of the 292/293 bob much on hard climbs? (both have a Fox Float R)

(3) does chain tension on the climbs or hard breaking on the way down (due to brake torque stiffening) tend to defeat the stock 2004 suspension, or does the suspension do a good job of remaining active under all conditions?

Many thanks for your insights....

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
1. the 2003 models had adjustable rear height (sybil link). in the 'low' mode, the bb was the same as the hardtail models (which I think is too low). in the 'high' mode... there was plenty of clearance.... 2004's do not have this adjustability, they are stuck in 'high' mode. it really wasn't a problem, some people liked running it low, and you could alleviate it by moving one setting. the biggest problem was the front fork. it was only 3". is it completely gone? no, some people would still complain even if it was 20" off the ground.

2. 2003's had a fox float r and didn't bob very much when set up correctly. there was still some bob though. i followed someone on a 2004 292 on a climb and his bike appeared to be bobbing just a little.

3. i didn't notice any chain tension/suspension issues on my 2003 in either setting.

i think fisher finally 'dialed in' the 292 for 2004. like i said before, the 2003 model with the 3" fork, felt kinda of weird with 4.5" of travel in the back and gave a 'raked forward' feel to the geometry. in the low mode, the suspension felt balanced and level, just too low for the terrain i ride in. 4" front and rear would have been ideal.

Rollin' On said:
I'm edging closer to buying a 2004 GF 293, but have a some questions I haven't been able to get a handle on by reading the threads.

(1) comments on the 2003 GF 292/293 are full of negatives about the BB height, but there aren't any negative BB height posts for the 2004. Did Fisher fix the problem, and is it completely gone?

(2) do the 2004 versions of the 292/293 bob much on hard climbs? (both have a Fox Float R)

(3) does chain tension on the climbs or hard breaking on the way down (due to brake torque stiffening) tend to defeat the stock 2004 suspension, or does the suspension do a good job of remaining active under all conditions?

Many thanks for your insights....

·
SS Pusher Man
7,669 Posts
Ok....I'll bite......:rolleyes:

Holy Zombie Thread Resurrection, Batman. :eekster:

Did you click the last page on this forum and this is what came up? :skep:

8 1/2 years.....I hope he figured it out by now.:thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.