Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cracker-magnon
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have not ridden much since I moved north from L.A., but we are now mostly settled, and the weekend weather was beautiful in the mid 50's. I geared up (or so I thought) and decided to head out on the Cross-check for some fixed gear rail path fun, and enjoy the day. I was running the same 42x16 fixed that I had been running on the road, which was fine in the gravel.... for a while. It was good to feel some what spent after a ride, and the scenery was incredible. I managed to see a pair of bald eagles, and some very large red tailed hawks, who all managed to fly off before I got some pictures.

Bridge over highway 10
</img>

mmmm....moustache over gravel
</img>

The Thorp entry point, 6.8 miles from where I entered the park
</img>

About as straight as it gets. This is roughly the beginning of a 2-3 mile stretch of soft gravel that had to be slogged through, both ways.
</img>

Taneum Creek. There is some killer riding up this creek several miles in the hills
</img>

A little residual snow and ice, this place should have much much more right now.
</img>

Tunnel #46:
</img>

Inside tunnel #46
</img>

Tunnel #47. This one is much longer, and I did not have a light. I turned around here, at 12.2 miles....
</img>

And sat down at the table. I immediately realized I had no food, not even a gel, I feel special.... little bus special
</img>

The lovely Yakima River
</img>

An old trestle, that crosses the Yakima
</img>

Interstate 90 from the trestle
</img>

This ride has been brought to you by:
</img>
 

·
Cracker-magnon
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Padre said:
Nice work, Ken.
Good to see you out and about on the bike again, and to see the pics.
Great shots.
Hooked up with the Disciples of Dirt yet?
Nah, No DOD.... yet. This relocating stuff is pretty hellish on the schedule. I am trying to get over for the Harmonic ConvergenSS in a couple of weeks though. Good luck on the VQ.
 

·
semi-evolved simian
Joined
·
330 Posts
Nice pictures, I gotta get over the mountains this summer for some riding on the dry side.

I took my fixed Crosscheck out on some same fairly tame local singletrack this weekend. Great fun, no pictures though :( I tried a couple of really small log overs and did OK with just a little bit of pedal/crank bashing, the hard part was not being able to hop the rear end over things. I think I'd also like some bigger tires than the 30s I was running.
 

·
Cracker-magnon
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine'sAPint said:
I think I'd also like some bigger tires than the 30s I was running.
the 700x44 mutano's are worth it, and only $20 a pop from Universal. I am thinkin about bringin the CC to HarmCon, if I can get over there.
 

·
semi-evolved simian
Joined
·
330 Posts
gpsser said:
the 700x44 mutano's are worth it, and only $20 a pop from Universal. I am thinkin about bringin the CC to HarmCon, if I can get over there.
Thanks for reminding me, I just ordered up those and a pair of the nice comfy looking Cane Creek levers that donkey posted earlier. Ain't shopping on the 'net fun :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
that looks great!

Nice rail trail. we've thought about heading up there to check that one out. I think it goes A LONG ways.

Hope you can get over here for the Hominy ConvulSSions, mebbe you can carpool with some of the Seattle-ites. Kevin, Ian, Kyle?

Here is a great race/event that we are planning on going to, 3rd year in a row. its in Leavenworth:

http://www.dasradhaus.com/events.html

fixies rock, I "may" put mine back together and take it out on the trails, mebbe for the convulSSions...

bike ON
bob :D
 

·
Cracker-magnon
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
red-haze.com said:
Nice rail trail. we've thought about heading up there to check that one out. I think it goes A LONG ways.

Hope you can get over here for the Hominy ConvulSSions, mebbe you can carpool with some of the Seattle-ites. Kevin, Ian, Kyle?

Here is a great race/event that we are planning on going to, 3rd year in a row. its in Leavenworth:

http://www.dasradhaus.com/events.html

fixies rock, I "may" put mine back together and take it out on the trails, mebbe for the convulSSions...

bike ON
bob :D
Hey Bob, It does go a long way. Something like 110 miles from N. Bend to the Columbia. Would be a fun 2-3 dayer or so.

I have a brother-in-law that lives in Longpew, that my wife and son have not seen yet. I just need to make sure that they are going to be home, otherwise I may try to work something out w/ one of the Westies coming down.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top