Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New SpecialEd Monster team running 1x6. Not unheard of. But the real kicker is the 9 tooth cassette a-la BMX micro drive. Allows for running smaller chainrings. Smaller chainring=more clearance=awesomeness. Seems like some serious innovation. Way more useful then that 10 speed garbage. Hopefully the industry catches on.

Sickness.

·
Look at the time!
1,144 Posts
less teeth = less efficiency.
The smaller the cog, the less round it is (a 8t cog would be the equivalent in roundness to a stop sign),
and the more friction and wear on the cog and the chain (chain has to bend more).
The higher the forces in the chain at the same gear ratio and pedal force, also leading to more friction and more wear.

The easier it will skip when worn or dirty (less teeth enganging the chain). Even 11t cogs are sketchy when riding in muddy conditions.

The easier it will break like those tiny BMX drivers do.

And the bigger the gaps between two gears (shifting from a 9t to a 10t cog is a much bigger step than 12t to 13t for example)

·
EastBaySteez
4,726 Posts
It is true. Smaller cog = less efficient.

It might have the same ratio but its less efficient. They also wear a ton faster.

Which is why I am running a 36x20 single speed on my hardtail. Could run a smaller drive combo, but its less efficient and wears faster!
Will not be jumping on the band wagon.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Good for you man

I rode Keene's bike and the micro drive is ****in chronic

and everyone trippin on this less efficient crap is just straight trippin lol

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Good thing she's carrying a camel back cause its hot in the dessert and you gotz to have somewhere to stash your rash cream, she's gonna be feeling it around the camp fire.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
upon closer examination, it looks like a high roller on that bike, I think she was in the process of clipping in (hence the one foot still out) and ready to fire the shifter a bunch of times and pin that sketchy DH trail just off to the left out of frame.

This is obviously an attempt to circumvent the UCI "skin suit" ban.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts