Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this used 2 weeks ago for $600. It isn;'t much of a looker, especially up close but, LOVE THE BIKE! Can't believe i rode bmx all those years when hardtails are so much more fun! Thing is though, the bike needs a few parts, plus i'd like to make it a little lghter. Looking to spend MINIMAL amount of money. Right now its an 07 chromo p2, crhis king headset, ditch witch 24" wheels with some generic hubs, profile 165mm cranks with 29/13 gearing, hayes MX2 mechanical, marz dirt jam pro forks, and you can probably tell what everything else is. I've decided to trash my jacked up forks ASAP for some shorter travel through axle forks, also thinking about some avid bb7 front brakes. I was thinking about buying a really cheap Formula 20mm hub, lace it to the wheel i have then possible some really used fox talas if i can find them for cheap, if not some dj2's if you guys think they're not total crap. I was told to just ditch my wheels completely for some azonic outlaws but i just like the feel of 24" wheels a LOT and from what i can find they don't make them in 24s. The bike is around 34 pounds by my crappy scale, i do some urban, some park, and some dj, but nothing real extreme in any of them. Also would a 1.85 width holy roller in back be good enough for my needs? I just want to know your guys' opinions if you were in my posistion and had an extremely tight budget. Thanks a lot! -marshall

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
glad to join the MTB world!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
how much are you looking to spend total? for fork i ride an argyle 318 and love it, i would recommend it, but its kinda pricy i think 400ish online, i would def upgrade to avid bb7 and a new back tire, im a fan of wider tires but i think a 1.85 would be ok in the back

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd scratch the 24's. Too many issues to deal with on the specialized frame geometry. I laced pimplites onto the stock hubs on the 08 and they are set. Maybe consider having a wheelset built or spending a little more on wheels. Wheels and a nicer fork and your set. Dj2, argyle, etc will all work fine. Shop around on-line and check out some price matching options. Good luck!

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Is the seatpost backwards, or is it me? If so turn that around.

I would strip the frame, paint it and replace the brakes, post, seat, rear tire. Then rebuild it.

Then ride it until it falls apart or you get something new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.